Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Foreign Movie Recommendations

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:33 pm
Though of course all movies are foreign to someone else. Just let's stay away from popular Hollywood productions.

I found this one, and my family actually liked it!

French: Les Diner de Cons (Comedy)

And though I haven't seen it yet, I hear it's good:

Israeli: Ushpizin  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:04 am
Personally, I didn’t liked Ushpizin much; you might found it interesting if you are interested in the Orthodoxi Jewish life, but otherwise I won’t recommend it.
Good ones are Halfon Hill Doesn’t Answer - which is my favourite Israeli film ever - and Beaufort; if you can put your hand on one of them - do it.

I recently seen a Polish comedy called Vinci, which I highly recommend, too.  

Einllikoach
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm
I actually did see Ushpizin recently, and I enjoyed it. I wouldn't say that I am particularly interested in Jewish Orthodox life, but it was a cute movie and certainly far better than an American movie about Orthodox Jews in New York (I forgot the title, sorry).

Another Israeli movie I've recently seen is Close to Home (קרוב לבית). I thought the ending was a little odd and confusing. It wasn't a terrible movie, but the plot didn't flow well in my opinion.

A movie my entire family enjoyed was Ostrov which is Russian. It was very well done, but also very religious in nature, so I would only recommend it to people who don't mind spirituality and references to the Bible.

And thanks for the recommendations! I'll look for those.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:38 pm
Mm.. I never heard of this one (Close to Home). I hope the two I did recommended will match your taste, anyway.

Oh, there’s a Danish movie I’ve just seen, Direktøren for det hele (the boss of it all), which was absolutely hilarious and I recommend - no, demand! - everyone here to check it. razz  

Einllikoach
Crew

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 pm
Damn..there is this 1 Israeli movie i love but I cant remember the name!

Its about a Israeli woman who separates from her husband, and she hires an African (but Hebrew speaking) lady to watch her child while she works. I believe she is a bus driver >>  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:34 pm
Einllikoach
Mm.. I never heard of this one (Close to Home). I hope the two I did recommended will match your taste, anyway.

Oh, there’s a Danish movie I’ve just seen, Direktøren for det hele (the boss of it all), which was absolutely hilarious and I recommend - no, demand! - everyone here to check it. razz

surprised !!!

I love Danish movies!
Seriously, I can recommend tons.  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Einllikoach
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:13 pm
PiercedPixie2
Einllikoach

surprised !!!

I love Danish movies!
Seriously, I can recommend tons.

DO IT! ;D  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:13 am
I loved "Das Leben der Anderen".  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:53 pm
I did get to see "Boss of It All"- it was okay, but I wouldn't put it on a list of my favorites though.
And my family really liked "Vinci" so thanks a ton for the recommendation! biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:46 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant
I did get to see "Boss of It All"- it was okay, but I wouldn't put it on a list of my favorites though.
And my family really liked "Vinci" so thanks a ton for the recommendation! biggrin

I am glad to know. smile  

Einllikoach
Crew

Olania

Dapper Conversationalist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:23 am
Im A Little Pea
I loved "Das Leben der Anderen".

This is a very good movie.

I haven't seen "Vinci" even though it was in theaters several years ago...

The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games