Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: HOW ANNOYING! D:< Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:37 am
Because complaining alone isn't fun!
Do long lines annoy you? Does "con funk" drive you crazy? Do "Narutards" make you want to punch an infant? Do you seethe at the thought of the only plushie you want being the most expensive one in the dealers room? THEN COMPLAIN HERE!
Tell us what annoys/bothers you at conventions. Tell stories, rant and rave, get it all off your chest!

Please do not take offense to any of these annoyances if it might pertain to you-- That doesn't make you a bad person, these are just things we've noticed and have a hard time tolerating personally.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:25 pm
ANIME BOSTON LINES AAAAAAARGHIVHJDONVOFVNOFVN!!!

Happily, this problem was fixed as of '09. smile I no longer have to wait eleven hours to get into a con I pre-registered for.

Hmmm.... Elevators that are impossible to get on. You know, you wait nearly fourty minutes for an elevator to arrive at your floor, and when it does it's full.

Narutards = annoying? Yes. Actually, I'm more sick to death of Ls and anyone from Bleach.

There's more, but I can't think of it now. Will complain more later.  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

iheartevil

5,150 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:52 pm
Glomping. I HATE THIS WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS! Not only is it really rude, I don't like to be touched, even by my friends with out warning, let alone by random strangers who may or may not have attended to their personal hygiene anytime in the last five days. I've come very close to punching someone in the face when they glomped me. And just so I don't seem like a raging b***h, if people ask I usually will hug them.

Yaoi/Yuri paddles. I've been hit with these once (I wasn't asked if I wanted to be hit or not, had they asked I would have said no and moved on about my business) and while it didn't really hurt, I grabbed their badge and turned them in to security. Unwelcome paddle hits count as assault and I have no problem getting someone kicked out of a con for assaulting me.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:19 am
Lines that seem to form decades before the event that the line was even formed for >.< Just because you want to see the event doesnt mean that you and your buddies need to start the line 12 hours ahead of time, thus getting other paranoid people into said line, preventing those who want to see other events too from getting into the event, and also possibly blocking hallways and inter-floor transportation.

HALF-ASSED COSPLAYS and/or cosplayers who assume that because a costume is from the same anime its appropriate for their character >.< Just because half of the characters in Bleach or Naruto or whatever other animes wear similar outfits, there ARE differences that make or break a character. Learn them, love them, OBEY THEM OR ELSE. Also, the next time I see a cardboard gundam or a costume made of BEER BOXES, I will find the nearest blunt object and strike whomever is inside of said costume over the head with it. This will resolve my anger, and probably speak for the other cosplayers as well.

Sword/Rave Dealers in the dealers room who openly display certain parphernalia that a good 30-40% of the con doesnt want nor need to see. I don't care if you smoke pot til you go blind, but there ARE little kids who attend these things too, and theres nothing more awkward than browsing the rave gear and hearing the kid next to you say to his mom (who looks mortified afterward mind you), "That thing looks cool, I want one", only to notice that the "thing" he is referring to, is a bong. While I did have a good inner chuckle at the thought, it really can be avoided with just hiding them until requested :/ Plus its less than legal anyways so yea...  

Obscuranoxious

XAngelswingsX

3,150 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 am
iheartevil
Glomping. I HATE THIS WITH THE PASSION OF A THOUSAND BURNING SUNS! Not only is it really rude, I don't like to be touched, even by my friends with out warning, let alone by random strangers who may or may not have attended to their personal hygiene anytime in the last five days. I've come very close to punching someone in the face when they glomped me. And just so I don't seem like a raging b***h, if people ask I usually will hug them.

Yaoi/Yuri paddles. I've been hit with these once (I wasn't asked if I wanted to be hit or not, had they asked I would have said no and moved on about my business) and while it didn't really hurt, I grabbed their badge and turned them in to security. Unwelcome paddle hits count as assault and I have no problem getting someone kicked out of a con for assaulting me.

I'm 100% with you on the unasked touching part >_<. And no, "But I was wearing a 'free hugs' sign!" is NOT a good excuse >=o. Last time I went to a con, a girl asked me very politely if she could hug me, because she wanted to hug as many characters as she could, and so I said yes and hugged her. In my opinion, THAT'S the proper way to do it. And no excuses about being too shy to ask either in fear of being silly, I mean, jumping on someone randomly's more silly, I'd say =/.

On top of that, another thing that annoys me is the stress and miscommunication when trying to work and plan with others in advance, especially companies >.>. "Yes, we can absolutely deliver your order on time" in my book means it WILL be delivered on time. "Your registration is valid and your hotel is booked" means it's all taken care of. I do NOT want to hear, usually at the very last moment, that there are 'slight complications', which usually implies there's a major problem. Especially when things like cosplay outfits and hotel stays partly depend on these services, it's a massive pain >_<'.

Another thing that got to me was the lay-out of some earlier convention grounds, and I mean the position of the cash machines in particular. Nowhere, and I really do mean nowhere, was a posibility to pay using a bank card, which meant that, with those prices, one had to carry a mountain of cash. Of course, that cash is going to run out sooner or later because you brought too little or want that one item (both, on my side ^^"). However, instead of putting up a cash machine for events, like they do at most newer events (thank god..), they made you walk an insane distance to a cash point somewhere located in a rather shady spot that you actually needed a treasure map for to find, and to our bright luck it happened to be pouring outside too.

Many cosplay wigs died that day D=.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:14 pm
Okay, I thought of the other big thing: People who assume your costume is flawed because you made a different version than they are used to. Even worse is when the one you are wearing is the ORIGINAL VERSION and someone tells you you did it wrong because they've only ever seen the sequel/spin-off. MY GOD I'M NOT EVEN A LEGAL ADULT YET I'M NOT SO OLD THAT NO ONE SHOULD REMEMBER THESE CHARACTERS.  

Wielder of Mighty Pencil!

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:30 pm
Con prices. DX Its like I can get this cheaper on the internet, why buy here? Some places sell pretty cheap but still most are pretty spendy. I just recently got into haggling at cons and I've been getting deals ever since.

Try it guys and I swear you'll be happy with the results. They really just want to sell as much as they can so they can take less home and come home with money. don't be too cheap but stay reasonable. If their asking for 60 try and go for 45-50. Unless you know you could get it waaaaaay cheaper.

Also people that think their amazing at cosplay but are really terrible. So terrible they sort of want to make you cry. If their modest, shy or its their first time give them some props for effort. But if their cocky I want to rip it off their body and tear it into a million pieces.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:35 pm
One of the worsts is when it's always over crowded and you have an awsome cosplay on and you look like an idiot And/ Or when you'd get your cosplay ruined if people bump into you, ecspecially when you have a prop, or wings, they'll gat thrashed TT~TT I mean you're soo very proud of the 5 months you worked on your prop/wings and people just hit them and shove into you not caring. I mean just cus there was some L cosplayer behind me and I was in the way dosen't mean you can just bump into my prop/wings OKAY not cool  

x A m a i i J e l l i

Friendly Friend

6,600 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Junior Trader 100

Dymagox

Dedicated Bibliophile

9,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:46 pm
I mentioned this in my intro, but I will elaborate more. A while ago I had a friend who was new to going to cons, she decided to do a favorite character of hers. She was good at sewing but always neglected to size things down. Well, she goes to the con and decides to march around in costumes like all us cosplayers do, but by the end of each day she complained that no one was taking pictures of her, and that no one was paying attention to her. She later went on the cons board and ranted about how rude everyone was at the con and that if you see a costume take a picture because people put hard work into there costumes. Now she threw this emo fit over the fact that no one recognized her in a bleach costume that was in three, count them, three panels in the manga. The costume was almost identical to any other bleach costume you see except for the wig. Some one actually mentioned that if they were to take pictures of each and every cosplayer, the bleach cosplayers alone would cost them a fortune, let alone the naruto and kingdom hearts cosplayers. SO after 2 pages of complaining about how horrible the cosplay community was, and how she was never going to cosplay again (same rant I had to hear at the con mind you), finally she was done with it. Look, the world doesn't center around one person. I will notice a person doing a full angel gun vash before I notice someone in a naruto/bleach cosplay. If you want to pull one off that catches peoples eyes. Make sure that the costume is well recognizable and well done, not just another cotton made black shinigami robe. And if people don't notice you, don't complain. I spent 70+ hours making my brother leon (trinity blood) art book costume, but after making the adjustments, no one recognized it except like 5 people. I was fine with that, even after the metal work that went into the shackles. And this con I don't expect anyone to recognize me because I am making a costume off of a 32 bit image of bartz (ffv) in blue mage garb. Just because people don't all take your pic, or not everyone talks toyou about how wonderful your costume is, doesn't mean they are rude. There are hundreds if not more costumes at an anime con, so don't expect everyone to stop at every single one.

and make sure to give credit where credit is due....but that is a rant for another day...... sad  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:01 pm
@discodogmakai
I personally can't stand over cosplayed series. Not at all. I like the mostly unknown ones so then those like I can fangasm over the fact someone cosplayed from it. I don't care if the cosplays I or a friend do aren't well know. I had fun making it and wearing it and I enjoy this series and character a lot. I feel sorry you had to listen to the whole rant. >_<  

burgawinosourus

Toothsome Phantom

Dymagox

Dedicated Bibliophile

9,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:26 pm
Scientific_erotic
@discodogmakai
I personally can't stand over cosplayed series. Not at all. I like the mostly unknown ones so then those like I can fangasm over the fact someone cosplayed from it. I don't care if the cosplays I or a friend do aren't well know. I had fun making it and wearing it and I enjoy this series and character a lot. I feel sorry you had to listen to the whole rant. >_<

Don't feel sorry. Unknown cosplays are great. Shoot I like doing odd left field costumes from both known and unknown sources. I agree, some costumes are way overdone!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:18 pm
Dark Knight cosplayers. Just, Dark Knight cosplayers...
gonk

OuendanL

Dymagox

Dedicated Bibliophile

9,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Bookworm 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:43 pm
lol  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:20 am
.: People who get too in to their cosplay:. I like that people take on the mannerisms of their cosplay character or whatever, but there is such a thing as taking it too far. I don't want to see Ichigo running around the con center trying to kill all the Hollows or if someone asks if the person made their costume they're like, "No! It was forged by the iron of my clan members!BLAHBLAHBLAH"
It's like dooood, save that for the LARP-ing please, I'd actually like to be able to socialize normally kthnxbai.

.:The Extreme Weaboos or whatever:. Alright, the fact that we go to anime conventions makes us all Weaboos to an extent, but I'm talking about the annoying people who walk around in cat ears and millions of pins, only know "kawaii" and "konnichiwa" but think they can speak Japanese, have their own unoriginal "Japanese name" and add "-chan" after everyone else's name no matter the gender or age, and are most likely sporting either a DeathNote or Naruto shirt. YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUT. There's a reason you don't have a boyfriend/girlfriend-- where are your social skills?! And I'm not counting your 'significant other' that you talk to online who lives across the country that you 'plan on visiting' and are 'in love' with. YOU KNOW WHO I'M TALKING ABOUUUUUT! RAGE! D:<

.:JROCK WANNABES!!!!:. Along the same vein as the previous rant, these are the people (mostly girls) who think they know all there is to know about JRock and have the best taste in the world! I myself am a huge fan of JRock, but I like enough bands that I have to use at least two hands to count them on, unlike these girls who like "Dir en Grey" "Alice Nine" "the GazettE" "Miyavi (who they give some sort of stupid nickname to)" "OH DID I MENTION DIR EN GREY?" (yes you did stoopid girls) "Ummmmmn... That one band that did that one song..." (wow, so specific) Yeah, you catch my drift. They think they know the words to every song of their favorite band, but really it's just a moosh of incoherent syllables that make you realize why JRock fans have such a bad rep. These betches always clog up the JRock booth that I always visit at every convention I go to (the guy who runs it knows who I am and he travells all over the country to conventions, that's how often I shop there) and these girls are standing around looking at pictures of "Kai-chan" and saying how cute "Ruki-sama" is. Prz fangirl somewhere else so I can actually shoppe, you beetches! D:<

salsaplant

GO

SakuraRico

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:01 pm
When the cosplay contest is done by volunteers and the only pick their friends to win. Not a single other person.

The people that think it's alright to do yaoi/yuri with every person their own gender in the con. Aged Adults are there, and they may not think the same free way we do.

When people's hormones get way out of their control.

The ***** who think are doing the best cosplay ever and in reality are just doing the same thing for like the fifth time.

Those who cosplay just to win.

Those who don't credit the makers of their cosplay.

I could keep going... <.<  
Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces