Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Angels and Demons/ Davinci code by dan brown Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:23 pm
Semiremis
I've read the Da Vinci code and I thought it was pretty good. I tried reading Angels & Demons but I got bored with it although everyone keeps telling me that it's a better read.

My problem with the Da Vinci code is that it presents certain things as facts when they are not, such as with the artwork. I read the book a while back but I remember in the beginning one of the characters grabbed a painting in the museum and held it as sort of a shield, I know this is nitpicking but the painting is huge in actuality you can't just grab it and hold it like that.

As for the religious aspects, it's just a fictional story about a conspiracy in the RCC which isn't anything new.

I believe you you are referring to the painting that the first victim threw on the ground to sound the alarm, correct me if im wrong, it's very possible that the bible was altered as well as history, you should read Lies My Teacher Told Me. i did enjoy Angels and Demons more although most of it was fictional.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:24 pm
Zslone2
Didnt read the book but i saw the movies and they was good. I read some of the book but it was a pretty good moive and book. I think it has a funny ending in the Da Vinci Code.

READ THE BOOKS lol honestly i hated the movies after i read the books. especially Angels and Demons they changed it too much  

13-The Fallen Angel-13

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:48 pm
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis
I've read the Da Vinci code and I thought it was pretty good. I tried reading Angels & Demons but I got bored with it although everyone keeps telling me that it's a better read.

My problem with the Da Vinci code is that it presents certain things as facts when they are not, such as with the artwork. I read the book a while back but I remember in the beginning one of the characters grabbed a painting in the museum and held it as sort of a shield, I know this is nitpicking but the painting is huge in actuality you can't just grab it and hold it like that.

As for the religious aspects, it's just a fictional story about a conspiracy in the RCC which isn't anything new.

I believe you you are referring to the painting that the first victim threw on the ground to sound the alarm, correct me if im wrong, it's very possible that the bible was altered as well as history, you should read Lies My Teacher Told Me. i did enjoy Angels and Demons more although most of it was fictional.

There are some biblical verses that are believed to have been tampered with and/or added on later, and history is written by the victors ninja

The book you mentioned goes into the topic of religion?

I think the painting you mentioned might have been it, I'd have to remember which one it was exactly.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:37 pm
Semiremis
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis

There are some biblical verses that are believed to have been tampered with and/or added on later, and history is written by the victors ninja

I think the painting you mentioned might have been it, I'd have to remember which one it was exactly.

It goes into alot of religious things because most historical lies are related to religious wars. and i asked a pastor once, "If the bible was written by man how do you know its reliable?" and he replied " It was written by man and inspired by god" and i said "that doesn't answer my question how do you know its inspired by god, what makes you so sure?" and so he says " I dont know son, i dont know" and it pissed me off, because he didnt know the answer and he tried to sound all prophetic!  

13-The Fallen Angel-13

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:46 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Semiremis

it's a fictional book. It's not presenting things as fact. -.-

the story was fiction, what the story was based upon was fact. most everything about mary magdalen and jesus and the dead sea scrolls are true, i looked up the Last Supper and The Mona Lisa and the thing said about these paintings were true as well, i believe faith and religion clouds the logical mind, makes it narrow rather then opening it to the worlds of others. i think the empathy people of faith pretend to have in other people that are not of their faith is fake. im not saying there's anything wrong with believing in god and such, im just saying you shouldn't let it be all you ever see  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:08 pm
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis

It goes into alot of religious things because most historical lies are related to religious wars. and i asked a pastor once, "If the bible was written by man how do you know its reliable?" and he replied " It was written by man and inspired by god" and i said "that doesn't answer my question how do you know its inspired by god, what makes you so sure?" and so he says " I dont know son, i dont know" and it pissed me off, because he didnt know the answer and he tried to sound all prophetic!

That's religion for you, it's not a science, religious truth isn't based on empirical evidence.  

Semiremis
Captain

Voldemort point two

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:30 am
13-The Fallen Angel-13
comfortably_dumb
Hmm, I thought The da Vinci Code was okay. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, so I did not bother with Angels & Demons. I probably won't bother with his next book, either. The only reason I know it is coming out is because it is advertised all over Borders. D=

well its advertised so much because the other books were so popular, i liked both of them though my favorite was Angels and Demons. i looked alot of it up and its very accurate despite the fact that its fiction.

We had a science lesson about how the scientific part of A&D is complete nonesense. I haven't read it, and I don't know nearly enough about the science to make a judgement, but what I got from my teacher was that Dan Brown said that anti-matter was possible. They've only ever made tiny bits of anti-matter, and that just disappeared as soon as it came into contact with matter.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm
Voldemort point two
13-The Fallen Angel-13
comfortably_dumb
Hmm, I thought The da Vinci Code was okay. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, so I did not bother with Angels & Demons. I probably won't bother with his next book, either. The only reason I know it is coming out is because it is advertised all over Borders. D=

well its advertised so much because the other books were so popular, i liked both of them though my favorite was Angels and Demons. i looked alot of it up and its very accurate despite the fact that its fiction.

We had a science lesson about how the scientific part of A&D is complete nonesense. I haven't read it, and I don't know nearly enough about the science to make a judgement, but what I got from my teacher was that Dan Brown said that anti-matter was possible. They've only ever made tiny bits of anti-matter, and that just disappeared as soon as it came into contact with matter.

Stephen Hawkings wrote about the possibility that there were anti-matter Galaxies out there somewhere although that was a little while ago and in his field of study changes in ideas on how things are happen relatively frequently. I haven't been following it at all so who knows where it stands now. I'm assuming in the book someone tried to harness anti-matter as a weapon or am I completely off?

I don't know about Angels and Demons but the Da Vinci Code has no sound backing and I wouldn't expect anything different from A&D.  

Semiremis
Captain

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 pm
Semiremis
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis

yeah i understand, thanks smile  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:49 am
*slinks in quietly*
I thought Dan Brown was a simply awful author who only got popular because he wrote a story that made a major religion look bad. I read Angels and Demons because I wanted to read them in order, but about a chapter into DaVinci Code I got pissed off at the same old Mary Sue characters and their little factually inaccurate conspiracy.
If you are looking for an easy read, something to look over while on a long flight, sure, it works. If you want information on the roots of Christianity, get a freakin scholarly work.  

dancing-in-the-streets

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:38 pm
Semiremis
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis
13-The Fallen Angel-13
Semiremis

That's religion for you, it's not a science, religious truth isn't based on empirical evidence.

Not all science is based on empirical evidence. AKA Quantum Physics, String Theory, Dark Matter and Energy and basically any theoretical science.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:53 pm
Dan Brown is inaccurate regarding history, geography and plain fiction writing skills. He puts streets in very odd places, and twists history to suit whatever thesis/plot point he's working on.

A classic case in point is in regards to the so-called 'forbidden books' of the bible. Now, in my intro everyone can see what religion I am, but as a student of history, if I see someone promulgating a known fallacy (Constantine ordered what books were allowed) I'm going to speak up. Constantine was not in charge of what was picked and what wasn't; the bishops there went by some pretty strict standards and certain books that did make it were in soe doubt (I'm specifically referring to the letter to the Hebrews and the book of Revelation)

All in all, if I want revisionist history, I'll stick to Harry Turtledove.  

River_Moonwolf

Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces