Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Angels and Demons/ Davinci code by dan brown Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:35 pm
has anyone read these books? i would like to discuss them.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:14 pm
Yes. What about Angels & Demons? I enjoyed it.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

Mei tsuki7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:37 pm
I have already read both and I have pre-ordered the next book.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:45 pm
Quote:
i would like to discuss them.

What did you want to discuss?  

ncsweet

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am
I've read the Da Vinci code and I thought it was pretty good. I tried reading Angels & Demons but I got bored with it although everyone keeps telling me that it's a better read.

My problem with the Da Vinci code is that it presents certain things as facts when they are not, such as with the artwork. I read the book a while back but I remember in the beginning one of the characters grabbed a painting in the museum and held it as sort of a shield, I know this is nitpicking but the painting is huge in actuality you can't just grab it and hold it like that.

As for the religious aspects, it's just a fictional story about a conspiracy in the RCC which isn't anything new.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:23 am
Semiremis
I've read the Da Vinci code and I thought it was pretty good. I tried reading Angels & Demons but I got bored with it although everyone keeps telling me that it's a better read.

My problem with the Da Vinci code is that it presents certain things as facts when they are not, such as with the artwork. I read the book a while back but I remember in the beginning one of the characters grabbed a painting in the museum and held it as sort of a shield, I know this is nitpicking but the painting is huge in actuality you can't just grab it and hold it like that.

As for the religious aspects, it's just a fictional story about a conspiracy in the RCC which isn't anything new.
it's a fictional book. It's not presenting things as fact. -.-  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:46 am
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Semiremis

The beginning makes statement saying that. "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 am
Semiremis
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Semiremis

The beginning makes statement saying that. "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate."
Just because certain elements are accurate does not make the whole thing non-fiction. It's like calling the Shadow Hearts series non-fiction because of the seemingly accuarate portrayls of historical characters with in that series. neutral  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:24 pm
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Semiremis
-Tsukiyo-Moon Maiden
Semiremis

Just because certain elements are accurate does not make the whole thing non-fiction. It's like calling the Shadow Hearts series non-fiction because of the seemingly accuarate portrayls of historical characters with in that series. neutral

I already stated that the book was fiction:

"it's just a fictional story about a conspiracy in the RCC which isn't anything new."

What I was commenting on was the artwork since Dan Brown made a statement that all depictions of the artwork were accurate.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 pm
Hmm, I thought The da Vinci Code was okay. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, so I did not bother with Angels & Demons. I probably won't bother with his next book, either. The only reason I know it is coming out is because it is advertised all over Borders. D=  

comfylove

Zslone2

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:30 pm
Didnt read the book but i saw the movies and they was good. I read some of the book but it was a pretty good moive and book. I think it has a funny ending in the Da Vinci Code.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:17 am
I liked DaVinci Code well enough, but I read Angels & Demons when it first came out years ago, and always liked it better. I though it was amusing that they are now trying to play it off like A&D is a sequel (at least movie wise).  

ncsweet

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 pm
Well, mainly i wanted to discuss whether or not you guys think its possible Jesus was mortal. I think its possible.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 pm
comfortably_dumb
Hmm, I thought The da Vinci Code was okay. I wasn't terribly impressed by it, so I did not bother with Angels & Demons. I probably won't bother with his next book, either. The only reason I know it is coming out is because it is advertised all over Borders. D=

well its advertised so much because the other books were so popular, i liked both of them though my favorite was Angels and Demons. i looked alot of it up and its very accurate despite the fact that its fiction.  

13-The Fallen Angel-13

13-The Fallen Angel-13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm
Mei tsuki7
I have already read both and I have pre-ordered the next book.

thats cool, i was going to pre-order it but then i remembered i have no money.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff