Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Serious question Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

L Ahkmill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill
Hitler is not in heaven, so you can rest easy. And no, he was not Christian. He could have claimed to be a Christian, but if Christ is really in your life, you're doing anything BUT killing millions of Jews.

This is a No True Scotsman, yes? I'm not up with the logical fallacies.

Hitler was raised Roman Catholic and he supported the Positive Christianity movement. (Ironic title, no?) As I understand it he wasn't a big fan of Christianity as a whole but still.

Just because you are raised a Christian and claim you are Christian, that does not make you a Christian. When a person really has Christ in their hearts, it shows. They try their best to be kind and loving as Christ himself was and is.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:33 am
This is sincerely what I believe:

In Medias Res IV
If I am a religious person.

Cool, me too.

In Medias Res IV
If I am a good person.
I do not believe that a "good person" exists currently, but that one good person existed. Yeah, you know who I mean, of course. XD We're all sinners, we all fall short of the glory and righteousness of God. We all mess up and do things we're not supposed to, even if God is in our hearts, and that is why I do not think that there is such thing as a "good person." I would rather think a redeemed person, or a repentant person.

In Medias Res IV
If I am a humble person.
I believe that saying you're humble automatically makes you proud.

In Medias Res IV
If I am a modest person.
I believe that saying you're modest also automatically makes you proud.

In Medias Res IV
If I bring many positives into the world.
I believe saying this makes you proud, even if it's true.

In Medias Res IV
If I help others.
I'm glad you do.

In Medias Res IV
If I give to others.
Hurray!

In Medias Res IV
If I don't condemn others and believe everyone has their own path in life.
I agree that this is a good thing. No one should condemn anyone, or really hold any judgment. We're not God.

In Medias Res IV
If I love G-d with all my heart,
Same here! =D

But I don't think that those things have to make you a Christian. Honestly, I would say that all of those things just makes you a believer, and redeemed.  

comfylove

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:00 am
Comfortably, this isn't about what makes someone a Christian..  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:02 am
Ahkmill
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill
Hitler is not in heaven, so you can rest easy. And no, he was not Christian. He could have claimed to be a Christian, but if Christ is really in your life, you're doing anything BUT killing millions of Jews.

Hitler was raised Roman Catholic and he supported the Positive Christianity movement. (Ironic title, no?) As I understand it he wasn't a big fan of Christianity as a whole but still.

Just because you are raised a Christian and claim you are Christian, that does not make you a Christian. When a person really has Christ in their hearts, it shows. They try their best to be kind and loving as Christ himself was and is.

Been there, done that. Jesus just didn't do it for me.

Anyways, the idea is that if you believe in Jesus, you are saved. Hitler would have been saved by Christian doctrine and thus, in heaven.  

In Medias Res IV

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:07 am
In Medias Res IV
Ahkmill
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Anyways, the idea is that if you believe in Jesus, you are saved. Hitler would have been saved by Christian doctrine and thus, in heaven.
That's debatable. He did order the deaths of many people and committed suicide after all.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 am
In Medias Res IV
If I am a religious person.
If I am a good person.
If I am a humble person.
If I am a modest person.
If I bring many positives into the world.
If I help others.
If I give to others.
If I don't condemn others and believe everyone has their own path in life.
If I love G-d with all my heart,

Why must I be a Christian?

What exactly is Jesus going to do that hasn't been done already in my life aside from "saving" me from a doctrine that I don't believe in to begin with?

I don't know that you have to be a Christian because that can mean so many differant things dedpending on denominations, belief and etc; but I do believe you have to have a relationship with GOD for salvation.  

quietstorm 2

Clean Member

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:41 am
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Nope, he definitely wasn't a big fan.

"The Führer is deeply religious, but deeply anti-Christian. He regards Christianity as a symptom of decay." Goebbels said that. He was one of Hitlers closest associates.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 am
In Medias Res IV
Ahkmill
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Not quite:

Matthew 7:21-23 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’  

Semiremis
Captain

Gornwen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:50 am
Ahkmill

I also do live in the present, actually. I have Jesus, but my boyfriend is usually my top priority, because he's the one who's always there for me. <3
That reminds me of my boyfriend's comment that:

"My atheist polar bear can beat up your God lion. The atheist polar bear is there when you need him. The God lion you have to wait around and he probably won't show up anyways."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:02 am
Semiremis
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Nope, he definitely wasn't a big fan.

"The Führer is deeply religious, but deeply anti-Christian. He regards Christianity as a symptom of decay." Goebbels said that. He was one of Hitlers closest associates.

Source?  

In Medias Res IV

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:03 am
Semiremis
In Medias Res IV
Ahkmill
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Not quite:

Matthew 7:21-23 21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

So Jews get into heaven because they know Adonai, as do Muslims.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:04 am
My beliefs in a nutshell:

All religions pray to the same higher being(s) they just see it/them in different ways.

The same thing happens to all people when they die. As in everyone is judged for their transgressions and let into paradise, the next plane of existence etc, everyone is reincarnated, everyone ceases to exist, etc.

If we are judged after death doing good is what will save you not believing in one certain religion.

Everyone should help others because that is life's purpose.

You know why those beliefs rule? I never have to worry about if I'm subscribing to the wrong religion like I bet some of you do.  

Mei tsuki7

Gornwen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:35 am
In Medias Res IV
Semiremis
In Medias Res IV
Ahkmill
Sanguina Cruenta
Ahkmill

Not quite:

So Jews get into heaven because they know Adonai, as do Muslims.
That's how I understand it.
Broaden it out a little bit, though, if people can each others' value as a human and part of this world, and act on it then there is salvation.

But, really, it is presumptuous of me to try to fathom what happens after we die. I do not have that knowledge, nor will I ever claim to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm
Also from a mystic's point of view, following a religion because of a promise for what will happen when you die kinda blocks the relationship with one's god/s. To be honest, yeah I have scriptures telling me how to get to Heaven but I'm starting to think that Heaven isn't necessarily a place one goes when they die but rather a state one achieves.

As for the afterlife, I've come to terms with that. I know that tradition teaches me that I will go to Hell for taking the views that I have but I accept that what ever judgment God has for me I will accept because I have faith that I am following the path that I am needed to.  

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:04 pm
rmcdra
Also from a mystic's point of view, following a religion because of a promise for what will happen when you die kinda blocks the relationship with one's god/s. To be honest, yeah I have scriptures telling me how to get to Heaven but I'm starting to think that Heaven isn't necessarily a place one goes when they die but rather a state one achieves.

As for the afterlife, I've come to terms with that. I know that tradition teaches me that I will go to Hell for taking the views that I have but I accept that what ever judgment God has for me I will accept because I have faith that I am following the path that I am needed to.

EXACTLY! heart

G-d gave us the tools to live in heaven, on earth. This is heaven. This is the only heaven we know of for sure so we better make the best of it.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff