Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Illegal missionaries Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:09 pm
I was curious on this guilds perspective of individuals going into countries were proselytizing is illegal. I feel that this sort of missionary work is misleading and doesn't promote the message of God very well. People may feel that the Christian (I do not know about other religions do this) is just out there to do whatever it wants, rather than waiting for God to open the way. What's your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:15 pm
I dunno is it popular belief or was Paul going to these kinda areas during his ministry? Plus i think of people like Hudson Taylor who went into china were it was not really that receptive at the time and still kinda harsh. I think if your lead to do so then do, pray and he will either open the door or shut it. But perhaps im not understanding your question fully do forgive me if im off on my understanding.  

LordTalisEraphen

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 pm
If they are banned from that sort of work in the country then they should stay out. If God calls the people to his divine path, then they should offer assistance since the country is hostile to that faith.
As for missionary work itself, there are plenty of countries that do allow it. If that is what they specifically want to do, they should focus their efforts were they won't have to worry about arrest.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:48 pm
To me, is it really martyrdom when it's not your own people killing you, or were you just stupid enough to go shoving your arm into the hive of the killer bees?  

Someoneiknow

comfylove

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 pm
    Hmm... hopefully I won't get harpooned for what I am going to say.

I'm a Christian, and I think that it is okay as long as it is done respectfully, and just to put forth the Gospel. Of course, a Christian should have the desire and the hope that through putting forth the Bible that others may be called to it, but ultimately, God will have to call them.

I am actually going to be going on a mission trip sometime next summer to Indonesia. The place that I am going to is 99.99% Muslim and has less than 10 Christians. I am going with a married couple who has already been over there three times, but only got the opportunity to talk about the Bible during one visit. Reason being is because they connect with the people and make bonds and friendships before they bring up anything to do with the Gospel. They won't talk about the Gospel unless the people whom they are working with would consider them as close as a brother or sister of theirs. It takes a while, they've said, clearly more than a couple months. Until they make that bond, they serve, care, and give gifts to those who they are working with to show appreciation, admiration, and friendship.

Realistically speaking since I will only be over for a summer, I doubt I will be able to talk to anyone about the Gospel unless they are people that the couple has already worked with. The two of them are moving over there and will be living there for 4 years to put forth the Gospel and build churches. I also have a lot of studying to do before I go because I do not want to be disrespectful at all, and obviously a lot of prayer so that the Holy Spirit leads me and guides me.

ιη cнгιაт ąℓσηε ι ρℓącε мy тгuაт
ąη∂ ƒιη∂ мy ɠℓσгy ιη тнε ρσωεг σƒ тнε cгσაა
ιη εѵεгy ѵιcтσгy ℓεт ιт вε აąι∂ σƒ мε
мy აσuгcε σƒ აтгεηɠтн мy აσuгcε σƒ нσρε
ιა ιη cнгιაт ąℓσηε.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 pm
Let them go on a mission, whether it's illegal in the country or not! I'm not saying they should harrass people to believe, but spread their message respectfully.  

starfishluvsu

Someoneiknow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:01 pm
starfishluvsu
Let them go on a mission, whether it's illegal in the country or not! I'm not saying they should harrass people to believe, but spread their message respectfully.

How is it showing respect when they go into a country that kills the individual for even believing in something different?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:44 pm
Missionary work is fine.
Missionary work in a country that says it is illegal is fine.
There is no right to silence anyone of any faith and their testimony. The only one who can silence is the individual, not the state. If the state fears a faith then there is a problem with the state itself.

Just my personal thoughts.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 pm
I am 100% against ALL proselytising.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:33 am
In Medias Res IV
I am 100% against ALL proselytising.

Why not let the Truth reveal itself?

Act 5:34 Then one in the council stood up, a Pharisee named Gamaliel, a teacher of the law held in respect by all the people, and commanded them to put the apostles outside for a little while.

Act 5:35 And he said to them: "Men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what you intend to do regarding these men.

Act 5:36 For some time ago Theudas rose up, claiming to be somebody. A number of men, about four hundred, joined him. He was slain, and all who obeyed him were scattered and came to nothing.

Act 5:37 After this man, Judas of Galilee rose up in the days of the census, and drew away many people after him. He also perished, and all who obeyed him were dispersed.

Act 5:38 And now I say to you, keep away from these men and let them alone; for if this plan or this work is of men, it will come to nothing;

Act 5:39 but if it is of God, you cannot overthrow it--lest you even be found to fight against God."

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:41 am
I'm against proselytising, and in particular missionary work. So many beautiful religions have been lost. Okay, maybe I'm a bit bitter, but I can never put from my mind all the Mayan books that were burned by the missionaries.

Indigenous religions should be celebrated and preserved. As should the related cultures. Missionary work, while well-meaning, can threaten those religions and cultures, and in my value system, that's wrong.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:01 am
Someoneiknow
starfishluvsu

How is it showing respect when they go into a country that kills the individual for even believing in something different?

They don't want you there!

Respect their religion, culture, customs and traditions.

How would you feel it if a muslim showed up at your door and told you that you were going to burn in hell because you do not think Muhammed is a messenger and you HAVE TO convert to Islam?

Wouldn't you be a little ticked off?

I'd sure as hell be ticked off.

In fact, I do get ticked off when the JoHo's or the Mormons come knocking on my door and are persistent. I don't want to hear their message, I don't care about Jesus, I don't care about what they have to say, don't come knocking on my door.

You're not welcomed here.  

In Medias Res IV

comfylove

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:23 am
I've never met a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. cry  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:35 am
comfortably_dumb
I've never met a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness. cry

My mother studied with the Witnesses for four years. The ones that I grew up around I absolutely love and are welcome to knock on my door anytime they want, they know that I will never be converted.

It's the ones who just show up at your door and don't know you at all... ack.  

In Medias Res IV

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:38 am
I know a JW. She's the sweetest creature in the world, to the point where she doesn't proselytise because she considers it mean. Poor thing.  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff