Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Religion in the classroom Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:03 am
Do you believe that in public schools (be they universities or high schools or whatever) teachers/professors should be allowed to TEACH (not discuss) their personal religious beliefs as fact? Why/why not?  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:23 am
that completely depends on the belief I suppose if say a SS teacher was teaching about the founding fathers and wanted to give some background on the founding fathers religion himself being of the same religion then it should be an educational background then and not debating the separation of Church and state amendment of the constitution any other way sadly is against the constitution. crying  

tobiwants2cookies

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:40 am
tobiwants2cookies
that completely depends on the belief I suppose if say a SS teacher was teaching about the founding fathers and wanted to give some background on the founding fathers religion himself being of the same religion then it should be an educational background then and not debating the separation of Church and state amendment of the constitution any other way sadly is against the constitution. crying

Here's the thing, we're all different religions. If I were made to say Christian prayers in school I would not be a happy camper. That would be a direct violation of my rights, it would be insulting, offensive, and downright nasty.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:41 am
Jewpanesey
Do you believe that in public schools (be they universities or high schools or whatever) teachers/professors should be allowed to TEACH (not discuss) their personal religious beliefs as fact? Why/why not?

In Universities professors DO teach their personal convictions as fact (many of them at least), and I'm talking about going above and beyond the normal bias that manifests itself in their lectures. I'm not a big fan of it and don't think it should continue although a lot of the far left profes are incapable of seeing anything else but there own distorted view of the world. Same goes for some of those on the far right, I usually don't mention them but it's because they aren't as loud in the academic community.  

Semiremis
Captain

In Medias Res IV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 am
Semiremis
Jewpanesey

In Universities professors DO teach their personal convictions as fact (many of them at least), and I'm talking about going above and beyond the normal bias that manifests itself in their lectures. I'm not a big fan of it and don't think it should continue although a lot of the far left profes are incapable of seeing anything else but there own distorted view of the world. Same goes for some of those on the far right, I usually don't mention them but it's because they aren't as loud in the academic community.

Mine don't.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:44 am
In Medias Res IV
tobiwants2cookies

Here's the thing, we're all different religions. If I were made to say Christian prayers in school I would not be a happy camper. That would be a direct violation of my rights, it would be insulting, offensive, and downright nasty.

well there is that... and that is why we have that amendment... I think I'm just saying the same thing over and over again...  

tobiwants2cookies

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:52 am
Of course they shouldn't teach their own opinions as fact; they should present them as what they are-- if they decided to present them at all. Yes, most professors have a hard time with this.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 am
It is not against the Constitution to teach or preach in the school systems. It is against state laws which direct the School districts from allowing personal faiths to be discussed in the school systems, hence why certain school districts across the country have the ability to teach religion in any form to the students.

The separation of Church and State is not about keeping religion or religious practices out of the Government, but to not allow a State Religion to be enforced by the Federal Law, like the Church of England is in Great Britain. We have the right to assemble prayer groups in schools, to have a quiet time for contemplative prayer, to have Christian groups assemble on any campus, etc. We also have a prayer time allotted for congressman and Senators in DC, so its not what we think the law means, its the fact that we cannot allow a State Church, hence the Separation of Church and State.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

quietstorm 2

Clean Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:14 am
There are so many diffrent religions it would be difficult to teach them all, however if religion is to be presented in school, then they should all be available not showing favortism to any. I believe religious teaching should be left to the parents discretion until child is mature enought to persue it on his/her own.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:43 pm
hmm tough q..... I wouldn't mind if it was my beliefs....but other beleifs outside of my religion, then no. You know in Germany they actually have classes based on your religion so you can learn more from your religion ^^  

starfishluvsu

hachi_ ateyou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 pm
I think they should allow maybe a moment of silence where everyone can stop for a minute in the beginning of the school day. Maybe if the class all agrees with a Jewish , or Morman, or Catholic prayer they could say one out loud. Long as its not forced I see no issue with it.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 pm
Jewpanesey

NO.
The only teachers who should be able to teach their religions are teachers who teach religious subjects in Religious Private Schools.

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:44 pm
Vasilius Konstantinos
It is not against the Constitution to teach or preach in the school systems. It is against state laws which direct the School districts from allowing personal faiths to be discussed in the school systems, hence why certain school districts across the country have the ability to teach religion in any form to the students.

The separation of Church and State is not about keeping religion or religious practices out of the Government, but to not allow a State Religion to be enforced by the Federal Law, like the Church of England is in Great Britain. We have the right to assemble prayer groups in schools, to have a quiet time for contemplative prayer, to have Christian groups assemble on any campus, etc. We also have a prayer time allotted for congressman and Senators in DC, so its not what we think the law means, its the fact that we cannot allow a State Church, hence the Separation of Church and State.

Thank you.
That's a pet peeve of mine and I was about to address it until I saw I didn't need to.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:01 pm
Nines19
Vasilius Konstantinos

Thank you.
That's a pet peeve of mine and I was about to address it until I saw I didn't need to.

But if Christian morals or point of view inform the government so that the laws are written in a way to deny the rights of other religions, wouldn't that be a problem? That would be enforcing a Christian point of view, indirectly.  

alteregoivy

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:41 pm
alteregoivy
Nines19
Vasilius Konstantinos

Thank you.

But if Christian morals or point of view inform the government so that the laws are written in a way to deny the rights of other religions, wouldn't that be a problem? That would be enforcing a Christian point of view, indirectly.

A problem, sure. Never said it wouldn't.
My (and, I am assuming, Vasilius' ) point was that teachers teaching or even preaching religion in school is not prohibited by, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

(I think in your case, the First Amendment actually would apply, but it would probably depend on the specifics.)  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff