Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anime Conventions: The Global Connection

Back to Guilds

A guild dedicated to sharing/discussing conventions, cosplay, anime, and manga from across the world 

Tags: Convention, Cosplay, Anime, Crossplay, Manga 

Reply Convention Forum
Convention Attention: Tips For Con-Goers Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:06 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This thread is a "How to Survive" guide for both new and old convention attendees. Share your words of wisdom with one another, and perhaps even a few stories!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:38 am

Ooo~! ooo~! I have some tips
Tip 1::. BATHE.
I don't care how hot you are, or how much fun you're having, or what panel you're going to be late for. SHOWER DAMN IT. There's a reason hotel gives you free soap.

Tip 2::. The best way to keep a wig from getting itchy and sweaty on your head is to use a wig cap. Make sure your hair is 100% dry if you just BATHED (important step there), or else the wet hair is going to get matted and start itching up a storm.
You can also throw some baby power on top of the wig cap if it's really hot out~

That is all.

AirborneInfection

salsaplant

GO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:57 am
These tips apply to cosplaying and conventions!

[x] :Be body-conscious: Realize what size of a person you are and plan your cosplays accordingly. If you're a bit on the larger size and want to wear a skimpy cosplay that shows off more than normal, if you look unclean (and it's not part of your cosplay), or if your cosplay is way too small and/or tight (no matter what your body size is), people will give you weird looks and make comments behind your back. Everyone should be comfortable in their own skin, but be conscious of what your appearance is going to look like!

[x] :Fill the hotel room: Hotel rooms at cons can be expensive, so fill them up with people! From past experiences, have no more than 6-7 in a room just because people pack a lot of stuff for conventions and a lot of people sharing one bathroom = chaos and a mess. While it's usually against the hotel rules to have that many people in a room, put more in the room than the number you booked the room for, but not too many that it'll draw attention to a whole hoard of you going in and out of the room. Be stealthy to save money!

[x] :Bring food and money for food: I don't care how much you eat at conventions, but don't spend all your money in the dealer's room and not save any money for food; a lot of people say they don't eat at cons, so you might be "not hungry" but you will need to eat. Not eating will turn out bad. If you don't want to set aside money for food, then pack a bag/cooler and keep it in your hotel room-- Trust me, food is vital at cons!

[x] :Use the buddy system: It keeps creepers away! Girls this is mostly for you-- Have at least one/two people with you at all times, especially at the raves when the real creepers come out to play. Unless you want that sort of attention from those kinds of people, stay in a group; creepers are less likely to bother you, your friends can save you from those kinds of situations, and you have more fun since you won't be alone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:14 am
- If it's really packed and there's a few of your friends trying to get some where you are, raise a hand for them to follow in case they get lost.

- If it's really packed and there's two floors, go up stairs, run to the lift and then if you take it normally it's easier to get to all the manga.

- Shout, go mad, throw a fit, if you do everyone moves away from you and you get lots of space.

- If you made your cosplay outfit the be careful not to carry heavy bags, you could have the small important details like buttons fall of your outfit.  

xmoon_dancex

Obscuranoxious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:31 am
-For important events such as concerts, raves or autograph sessions, there are sure to be a horde of people waiting to get in, so getting there just prior to the start of the even is inadvisable as most of these things have limited space and have a tendency to form lines in advance. If you really want to get into said events, plan ahead and keep checking for the line formation.

-While it might be nice to buy that item you really want from the first vendor you see, it might not be the most beneficial thing to do. Browse around the dealers room first and do a little price checking, even if its only a $5 difference in price, that $5 could mean whether or not you buy that manga you had your eye on too. On the same note, if you know that the item you really want is either hard to find or likely to sell out quickly, by all means get it ASAP as you don't know when another fan might come along and swipe it first.

-HYDRATE! This rule is extremely important during con-season when the weather is in the 90's in most regions and the humidity is unmerciful. Nothing ruins a con like when an entire section of the con center or hotel is roped off because someone passed out and they are waiting on an ambulance to take them to a hospital because they had been walking in the heat all day and didnt drink anything. Just because said building has AC, doesn't mean you wont be hot or get sweaty. Chances are with another 20,000 people in the same building, all that body heat will make it even hotter. Most of these places have either water fountains or vendors with drinks. Sure it either tastes like clorine or costs $3 a bottle, but is it really worth missing half a con while your strapped to a hospital bed with an IV in your arm?

-On the same note: Plan your cosplays to the season. It's alot smarter to wear that loose, comfortable and/or 'skimpy' cosplay you've been planning at a summer convention then it is to wear that eskimo suit of an outfit. Save the thick or heat-trapping cosplays for the off-season conventions when it probably wont be more than 60 degrees outside and it would be comfortable doing so.

-This one I take very personally. If your going to make your own cosplay, for the love of all that is anime, please make it well! I'm not saying to nitpick over fraying bias tape or minor details like that, but when I'm seeing cardboard gundams that the arms are literally DUCTTAPED on, thats when I want to find the sharpest sword in the dealers room, hunt them down and crusade them for their blasphemy. And while I'm at it, I'll gather some people to help. Put some effort into your creations, not only will people appreciate you more and you'll get some props for it, but it will deter other cosplayers from wanting to inflict bodily harm on you for your insolence :3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:24 pm
If you are a girl cosplaying a guy with an open chest, don't just use bindings since it looks tacky. There are shirts that come in skin colours, and you can use paint to make them look real. Also I'm sure if you search Google you can buy one. It makes your cosplay look more like the character, unless he wears bindings with an open shirt.

When you bind your chest (For whatever reason), bind with a bra on. I see so many women going around with just binding, but that tends to go against your delicate skin there, which after wards hurts. You don't have to use a wire, push-up, or padded bra, just a flimsy cheap one that is a good size on you will work.

Always bring your cell phone and charger! If you get lost from someone, you need that for easy location. Also know your way around the convention for the same reason, so you can know how to get where, and what is where. It's important to know your surroundings, especially in an extremely crowded place!

Don't buy cosplays. Seriously, people will either talk bad about it to you, or behind you. There are many cosplayers who spend months making one prop, let alone the outfit. It's a bad social thing to have a bought cosplay, so stay clear from those cosplay stores. Some people say it's okay if you just buy some cosplay such as the Organization XIII coat from Kingdom Hearts, but I made mine to fit me perfect for Roxas, and it looks better than the one my friends bought ;] Plus going into contests with bought cosplays really doesn't get you much points xD

And do not closet cosplay to a convention! I mean, at least TRY to do a cosplay yourself. You can go buy a shirt at Walmart, and turn it into anything if you try. If your cosplay isn't ready in time, wear an old one or don't cosplay at all. It's much better to put effort into something, especially if you want others to like your cosplay.

Apprenticing

Dapper Fatcat

iheartevil

5,150 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:25 pm
-If you buy your cosplay (which really I see no problem with) DO NOT ENTER A CONTEST WITH IT. Seriously, that's just cheating.

-Wigs are your friends. Wear them. Wear a wig cap underneath it. If you have thick/long hair it does sometimes work better to put your hair up wet, but be prepared for it to look a hot mess when you finally take it down. Get a good quality wig and not something cheap from a Halloween store. If you don't know how to style a wig, commission it.

-Wear makeup with your cosplay, even if your male. You will look better in pictures.

-Showers are not optional. If you don't take them someone like me will come up to you and inform you that you smell.

-Glomping is a no-no unless you ask first.

-Not everyone at a con is a good person, don't let your guard down.

-Ball Jointed Dolls are expensive, don't touch with out permission.

-If you really want to get someone's autograph, see if they have a panel. Sometimes, they will unofficially sign autographs at them.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:35 pm
I feel the need to announce this one as I just read a very important thread on a cosplay community:

-Know the laws/rules of the convention and the city in which the convention is held before attending, it saves you alot of grief and heartache. Most metropolitan areas (MAJOR CITIES FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW) such as Baltimore, New York, Chicago, ect, have Anti-Solicitation laws and police are real sticklers when conventions and such are in town, and because of this many conventions have now added rules to support this. If you are planning to take a sign with you, either as a joke or for any other reason, make sure you check that the convention allows the use of signs.

Unless it is an appropriate part of a cosplay, most conventions have disallowed the display of signs of any kind on the convention grounds.  

Obscuranoxious

AirborneInfection

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:41 pm
If you start a conga line at a rave, you will die of dysentery.

*WARNING: This is in fact a false statement, and only a wish of AirborneInfection. She hates them, and if you start one and run her over at any point. She'll kill you. Srsly.

Ipromisei'mnotreallythatmean<3  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 pm
iZanami-oKami
I feel the need to announce this one as I just read a very important thread on a cosplay community:

-Know the laws/rules of the convention and the city in which the convention is held before attending, it saves you alot of grief and heartache. Most metropolitan areas (MAJOR CITIES FOR THOSE WHO DONT KNOW) such as Baltimore, New York, Chicago, ect, have Anti-Solicitation laws and police are real sticklers when conventions and such are in town, and because of this many conventions have now added rules to support this. If you are planning to take a sign with you, either as a joke or for any other reason, make sure you check that the convention allows the use of signs.

Unless it is an appropriate part of a cosplay, most conventions have disallowed the display of signs of any kind on the convention grounds.

Actually, I'm glad you mentioned this because it's incredibly important. I've seen it happen a lot of times, where people get to into it, and then security embarrasses them. Then it gets out of hand... and you can just guess. You don't want it to happen, trust me.  

AirborneInfection

ChibiFam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:43 am
Don't forget common sense...
Things like: Watch out for traffic...(if you're wearing a mask/helmet that impairs your vision... the cross walk is your friend! sweatdrop )
~Don't sleep in the hallways ( stare especially @ the cons in a hotel...go to your room plz )
~Don't litter the swag...(ppl spend time and money making those goodies... stressed if you don't want it-DON'T TAKE IT! )
~Be courteous to non-con goers (hotel guests and staff have their own agendas and jobs to think about...plz help ease some of the con-chaos by not antagonizing them heart )

Hotels that host cons (and others in the area where con goers may stay) tend to frown upon the above problems... and may have an impact on whether or not they want a convention held in the area...(I had a hotel with one of the best locations EVAH decide they didn't want to host a con again because of those kind of problems crying ... DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU! )  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:24 am
-Don't try get to the stalls before there open, don't even talk about the stalls when they're not open. Did that the Animania and April and i got smacked down by Sailor Moon.
-Don't make out with your boyfriend (if your a guy) you might get photographed if your not careful.  

Battalion Commander Fae

scattered.lullaby

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:21 am
Just from my own experiances.

+Write a list of all the things you need before you go, you'll forget something (i forgot my tooth brush once... and another time I forgot underwear O____o)

+Pressed powder helps keep the shine away~ :'D

+Keep you're money seperate, that way you have food money, traveling money and spending money. My friend spent all her money last AB, so I had to pay for her way home. D8  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:41 am
~ Always make a list of any anime/manga you need...I always find I forget something, and I've bought doubles of manga I've already got... xD Thankfully never at an expo, but I've done it in shops.

~ This may only apply to the cons I've been to, but either try and get in first thing in the morning or in the later afternoon. Otherwise you'll just get crushed by the hoard of narutards trying to buy headbands and Sasuke plushies. D: If you can get early-entry tickets, then do, at least for the first day of the convention. Again I don't know how it works for everyone else so it might not apply to you.

~ If you've finished browsing and shopping then I would suggest getting out! You have no idea how annoying it is to try and look at stalls only to find you can't cos there's a bunch of idiots milling around and standing in the way. Not only that but it's good to get out of the crowds, even if it's only for a little while. It gives you a break and time to plan what you want to do next and possibly go back in to look at stuff you missed.

~ If you're wearing a skimpy outfit and have to travel from your hotel to the convention, then cover up! Other commuters will not appreciate having to stare at your partial nakedness.

~ A few people have mentioned this already, but don't wear a half-baked cosplays. No-one will take any notice of you. Also, if you are going to go as a well-known character, then I would try and make it as good as possible. I mean, you see loads of Naruto's for example, but I've seen a few slightly different ones that were excellent and it was clear the cosplayer had put a lot of effort in. smile

~ If you're going to take pictures of other cosplayers, try not to do it in the convention. You get in the way of other convention-goers and people will not care about walking in front of your camera! Catch people just outside the entrance if you can. smile

~ Minimalistic packing! Only pack WHAT YOU NEED. You do not need five different pairs of trousers! This is particularly important if you're planning on buying a lot of stuff. It's no fun carrying loads of heavy bags on your way back home on the train. Same thing goes at the actual cons, try and take a small bag with your phone and money, and a disposable one for food so you can throw it away once you've eaten. If you want to take a rucksack with you to put all the stuff in that you buy then that's also a good idea, but you don't want to be carrying hundreds of plastic bags around with you!

Miss_Goku

Dawnstar95

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:54 pm
One word. "PLAN"
If you are going with a group you need to plan what costumes you are going to bring.
You need to plan how many days you are going to be at the convention.
Always plan for events you want to go to.
Never go to a convention without a plan.

My group is already planning for a convention that is in November. It is August right now for reference.

Convention Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff