Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Prayer? Yes, no, maybe so? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:13 pm
Oh, yeah, prayer is great. Especially Hebrew prayer. I pray several times a week.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:12 pm
Lumanny the Space Jew
Oh, yeah, prayer is great. Especially Hebrew prayer. I pray several times a week.

Lumanny! The Shema!  

In Medias Res IV

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:30 pm
Ofra Haza singing Yerushalayim Shel Zahav
I miss her.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:45 pm
I pray sometimes. I should pray more often. I have this odd relationship with prayer xp . I like it and can appreciate it...but not so gewd akshully with the doing. I find that when I do pray, it's more like giving a mental hug and thanks to my gods and I don't really say anything. And then I feel like I'm doing it wrong gonk .  

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

Frosted Cookii3

Feral Dabbler

6,500 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • Team Edward 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:31 am
Violet Song jat Shariff
I pray sometimes. I should pray more often. I have this odd relationship with prayer xp . I like it and can appreciate it...but not so gewd akshully with the doing. I find that when I do pray, it's more like giving a mental hug and thanks to my gods and I don't really say anything. And then I feel like I'm doing it wrong gonk .

If you mean what you say and are not asking selfishly for things, you can't say a prayer wrong. It's like asking a question, there are no wrong questions except ones people find extremely offensive.
I also believe (unsure of other religions) that repitition in prayer is not right. If you thank Him for the earth, His creations, His love, your family etc. every day without adding anything else, such as asking Him to help you get along with someone, or asking Him to help you through financial troubles (that doesn't mean asking for money), it becomes almost like its worn out. Imagine going up to a friend or co-worker everyday and thanking them for a letter they wrote five years ago. EVERY. DAY. Without thanking them for a more recent letter or asking them a favor.
So unless you're constantly repetitive like that, you can't do a prayer wrong.
(again, this is what I believe) :]  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:57 pm
Vasilius Konstantinos
I miss her.

Yerushalayim Shel Zahav is NOT a prayer. It is a Zionistic but not religious song.  

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

Violet Song jat Shariff

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:30 pm
Sayomi Ai
Violet Song jat Shariff

If you mean what you say and are not asking selfishly for things, you can't say a prayer wrong. It's like asking a question, there are no wrong questions except ones people find extremely offensive.
I also believe (unsure of other religions) that repitition in prayer is not right. If you thank Him for the earth, His creations, His love, your family etc. every day without adding anything else, such as asking Him to help you get along with someone, or asking Him to help you through financial troubles (that doesn't mean asking for money), it becomes almost like its worn out. Imagine going up to a friend or co-worker everyday and thanking them for a letter they wrote five years ago. EVERY. DAY. Without thanking them for a more recent letter or asking them a favor.
So unless you're constantly repetitive like that, you can't do a prayer wrong.
(again, this is what I believe) :]

I find repetitive prayer helpful....i.e., like praying a rosary. I am constantly thankful to my gods everyday for the constants I have in my life; I am always thankful for my job, my honey, my health. I am thankful for the ways my gods step in sometimes. I give them praise in those prayers of thanks, so it's not just a stock "thanks for this that and the other thing" kind of prayer.
I don't tend to ask for things in prayer unless it's a last-second kind of deal. I tend to reserve asking for things for rituals where I can make an offering to them.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:51 pm
I like praying, but I don't do it nearly as much as I'd like to say I do.

One thing I did a few times for prayer that was kind of interesting was writing it out as a letter. That also served as a physical record of it, which is good for me to have because my memory kind of sucks...  

Nines19

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:10 pm
Lumanny the Space Jew
Vasilius Konstantinos
I miss her.

Yerushalayim Shel Zahav is NOT a prayer. It is a Zionistic but not religious song.

I wanted to share it with you guys. I was looking for one of the prayers sung by Ofra Haza but I could not find one I liked, but her voice is worth sharing. Is that so wrong to do without criticism?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 pm
Vasilius Konstantinos
Lumanny the Space Jew
Vasilius Konstantinos
I miss her.

I wanted to share it with you guys. I was looking for one of the prayers sung by Ofra Haza but I could not find one I liked, but her voice is worth sharing. Is that so wrong to do without criticism?

I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your intentions when you posted that in a Prayer thread. I really do love the song.
I mean, you could've made a separate thread for it, the forum is young.. then again, there's not much discussion or debate to it, so..
Sure, whatever, you could've gone either way. This one was fine.
Sorry.

Lumanny the Space Jew

Blessed Poster

shadow22cat

10,275 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Member 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 pm
For me, I pray every once in a while. Although, I'm trying to pray more often. Usually it's about either peace, for good health for friends or family, or thanking G-d for what I already have. I don't like to ask G-d for things, for some reason it feels weird to me. I do pray a lot on Shabbat, since it feels more like a sacred day. I like to think it sends out positive energy. mrgreen  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:34 pm
I pray every time I step outside, take a big look around and notice how beautiful this world can be at times and I thank. Other then that I'm not too much of a praying sort of person. I will say a prayer for others when they ask me too and if I feel my family and/or friends are in trouble but that doesn't happen all that often.  

Semiremis
Captain

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm
Lumanny the Space Jew
I'm sorry, I misinterpreted your intentions when you posted that in a Prayer thread. I really do love the song.
I mean, you could've made a separate thread for it, the forum is young.. then again, there's not much discussion or debate to it, so..
Sure, whatever, you could've gone either way. This one was fine.
Sorry.

Its all good.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:30 pm
Nope dont pray. I tried a few times when i was actually believed in a single god but it didnt feel right doing so. Only prayed twice in life maybe three times max. I aint one for praying but if I see one of my friends praying I let them take as long as they want out of respect for them and their beliefs.  

Zslone2

fallen_vampire_immortal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:39 pm
5 times a day since I'm a Muslim.

Allahu Akbar  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items