Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Define Christianity in your own words. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gornwen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 pm
I'd say that Christianity is part of the culture that defines the holidays one celebrates, how they mark different rites of passage, and understand God/faith/etc.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 pm
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO
The practice of the catholic.

How do you define "the catholic"?
Is it different than "the Catholic"?

True believer in Christ.
A congregation.

Okay.
Is that different that "Catholic" with the capital C?  

Nines19

CH1YO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:34 pm
Nines19
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO

True believer in Christ.
A congregation.

Okay.

An entity can belong to Catholicism whilst being wholly secular but a catholic cannot but be Christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 pm
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO

True believer in Christ.
A congregation.

Okay.

An entity can belong to Catholicism whilst being wholly secular but a catholic cannot but be Christian.

So a catholic would be someone who "walks the Christian talk," so to speak? As opposed to those who profess Christianity but merely pay lip-service to Christ?  

Nines19

CH1YO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:45 pm
Nines19
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO
Nines19
CH1YO

True believer in Christ.
A congregation.

Okay.

So a catholic would be someone who "walks the Christian talk," so to speak? As opposed to those who profess Christianity but merely pay lip-service to Christ?

Not necessarily, a catholic believes and thus his actions are informed by Christ and so Christian but he need not follow any particular path- he may behave in any ludicrous manner, he simply needs to and does carry Christ in his heart always.
The important thing is that the catholic cannot be shaken in his faith, he is wholly convinced, positive agnosticism is too little- even if service is sincere.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:11 pm
Catholic is the Universal Christian. The Catholic Church is supposed to be the Universal Church of Jesus Christ. It turned into the Western Church which enforced Latinization upon the people, which is the choice of their Bishops.
When the Schism occurred, the Universal Church of the East became the Eastern Orthodox Church while the Roman Catholic kept the Catholic Church as we see it today in name.

But as for title, even the Orthodox have the right to call themselves Catholic, as they do in many countries in the East, but in the West we must separate ourselves due to the majority here knowing the word Catholic with Roman Catholic.

The word Catholic means Universal.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:31 am
Vasilius Konstantinos

Catholic or catholic?

I apologize if me making a distinction is annoying, I just want to be clear on the matter. Capital versus non-capital first letter has messed me up before. xp  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:14 am
Chrisitanity to the outside world is a morbid fixation on the death and crucifixion of "some guy". Lol we're an effing cult! WHOO! lol  

Imitation Stradivarius

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 am
Nines19
Vasilius Konstantinos

Catholic or catholic?

I apologize if me making a distinction is annoying, I just want to be clear on the matter. Capital versus non-capital first letter has messed me up before. xp

The answer is "yes".  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:47 am
Imitation Stradivarius
Chrisitanity to the outside world is a morbid fixation on the death and crucifixion of "some guy". Lol we're an effing cult! WHOO! lol

Who exactly is "the outside world"?

Vasilius Konstantinos: You remind me of a quote from The Lord of the Rings, heh.  

Nines19

Xx_ Miss_Pathan_xX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:00 pm
THE BLIEF OF THOSE HU FOLLOW JESUS (PROPHET ISA P.B.U.H) 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:37 pm
You'd all call it belief in god and jesus and yada yada..

I'd call it B.O.L.O.G.N.A xp

Not trying to offend. But you asked what we'd label it as =o  

Cute Evil Taco

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:19 pm
for me, Christianity is a society of people who love and trust Jesus of Nazareth more than anything or anybody.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:01 pm
chessiejo
for me, Christianity is a society of people who love and trust Jesus of Nazareth more than anything or anybody.

Agreed, though I'd add the word 'depend' in there somewhere too.  

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200

Illumina Vierge

Benevolent Fairy

7,700 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:22 pm
heart Okay, I see a lot of good references here, so I'm going to be simple and to the point as I see it. smile

Christianity... in my own words. Just as Jesus was that which was sent by God to represent him, then just as are Christians to represent Jesus in that same light, and in doing so, to represent God. The teachings of Jesus are paramount and define the practice pretty darn well if you ask me. That's Christianity by purpose I think.
There is also Christianity by many other views, such as found in history, events, experiences, etc. But I think Jesus and God are still quite so the essence of the matter. ^_^ heart  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff