Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
"I don't know any young person that's in torture." Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you agree that what I was told as a child was emotional abuse?
  Yes
  No
  That's not fair to Christianity!
View Results

almisami

Fashionable Fatcat

7,100 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:46 pm
Just wondering, where does Limbo fall in all of this hell business? It doesn't seem that bad of a place for primordial sinners.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:10 pm
almisami
Just wondering, where does Limbo fall in all of this hell business? It doesn't seem that bad of a place for primordial sinners.

Limbo was a Roman Catholic creation for those babies who died before baptism. It has been refuted from the Seat of the Papacy for some time now and is a dead teaching, which even the Bishops found in contempt.  

Vasilius Konstantinos

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:30 pm

You have to be kidding me...however after knowing Fox New's less than stellar reputation, I'm not surprised.

Many people don't realize that at the time they're indoctrinating their child that their children's brains are still growing and developing. Sharing the fire and brimstone doctrine can seriously damage the child's psyche in a way.

Hell is seen as a horrible place where those who sin go and are tortured for eternity. Maybe people try to justify this and say that teaching about hell is like teaching about the bogeyman. However both are not synonymous and are very very different. The telling of the bogeyman is to teach the child that fear is normal. That this type of fear can be overcome by bravery, strength and courage. Whereas the fear stemming from the telling/teaching of hell can become into anger or even hate.

I have observed for a few years now, from different Christians, when they tried to tell people that they were endangered of hell and should repent, their words were were seeped with hatred. Now they didn't outright say that they hated non-believers, Muslims, non-Christians, gays, etc however the way they said was filled with much hatred.

Christians are supposed to follow the law of Agape. Telling someone that they're going to hell but love them at the same time. Isn't love. It's not even close to Agape. Not by a long shot.

Telling someone that they're going to hell can cause a lot of trauma, negativity. Telling someone that they're going to hell is not showing them love but hatred and contempt. I believe that those who feel that telling someone they're going to hell, needs to re-examine what Jesus meant by love. Re-examine what it means to truly love thy neighbor.

In short, teaching of the Fiery hell doctrine can be damaging not only to the child being indoctrinated into the religion but also to their peers who either don't follow the same religion but to those who are of the religion but are different than them.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm
I do find it kinda messed up when they "supposedly" got a recording of the center of the earth or "hell" and played it to scare people and later we find out this was a joke .. well at least that's what i read when i researched it out.
I think we should come to Christ because of his over all love for us to die and take on our sin, not in fear of "eternal torment" which i don't personally believe. But then again i don't think all Christians use the fear mongering tactic you just see more of them because they are more aggressive since this tactic stands out more. Lets be honest if some one says "Jesus loves you he want's you in his kingdom" versus "your gonna BUURNN!, which of these are going to stand out ? i mean seriously.  

LordTalisEraphen

Nines19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:20 pm
xxEternallyBluexx
It says death, not ceasing to exist (unless you can find the scripture...?).

2 Thessalonians 1:7-9
Quote:
7and give relief to you who are troubled, and to us as well. This will happen when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven in blazing fire with his powerful angels. 8He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. 9They will be punished with everlasting destruction and shut out from the presence of the Lord and from the majesty of his power

"Everlasting destruction" - oblivion, the death of the soul. The complete end of life. Not a hell. A cessation of life entirely.
"Shut out from the presence of the Lord..." - "not Heaven". Everlasting destruction pretty much covers "not Heaven," too.

To be honest, you'd be best arguing your position from Jude. He's got the rebellious angels and ********' everything, man. I think Milton was like in love with him.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:44 pm
So, are we generally agreed that Hell doesn't exist in the Old Testament? (I'm checking on this and only see pretty much Luke and Revelation, but I'm not scholar. If it does exist in the OT, disregard the following)
If this is the case, and the whole Bible is 'true' or whatever, why didn't Hell make an appearance earlier in the game? Seems like the Old Testament God would be all over the eternal torment thing, but it doesn't come up until the ultimate "good guy" of the Universe? What kind of ultimate good guy introduces Hell to the masses and is, by this action, causing all the panic that relates to not wanting to GO to hell?
Seems kinda dirty to me. Jesus said to love one another and all that, but apparently ruled by the "Or ELSE." principle, if I"m reading this right.  

dancing-in-the-streets

LordTalisEraphen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:08 pm
Luke.,. are you talking about the parable? and revelations they are talking about judgment day "second resurrection" were the wicked receive there punishment. i don't have much time right now so this is rather short and i can get into more detail on this some other time... people interpret this in other ways but to me it doesn't come together or make any since if you believe in immediate punishment after death . like i said this is my interpretation not like im saying im the "man" and i know everything  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:31 pm
alteregoivy
From another post with several links, I saw this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzG7l5P9wO8

The thing that struck me is that the Fox employee has no clue of the reality of the psychological warfare that is visited upon children. I can testify to how terrible it is.

I became Southern baptist at a fairly young age, and by my teens, it became an obsession that ruled every facet of my life. I was told over and over again, "You must save all the non-believers now, or you will miss your chance and your loved ones will burn in Hell."

I was well aware that my parents and my brother were not Christian. I had a Jewish friend. I wanted them to be saved so badly, I cried myself to sleep on a regular basis because I was so terrified of what would happen to them when they died. I felt like their blood was on my hands because I was unable to convince them to believe in Jesus.

What was worse, I fell in love with a Unitarian girl. Not only was this girl I loved going to Hell, but I also believed that Satan was tempting me and that I was falling for it and that I had failed God.

Telling a child over and over that just about every natural desire a person can have is wrong and dirty and that you have to ask for forgiveness for even thinking about it is, to put it succinctly, sick. That qualifies as emotional abuse in my book. So much of my youth was wasted feeling miserable because of it.

My response to the video: I laughed at it. Fox was thirsty for ratings and it showed.
Especially the: "Brian, you are turning young ppl into angry young ppl."
It was like they were trying to egg him into an argument and be his parents at the same time.

I was a Christian before reverting to Islam. And I never did understand the whole "You must save all the non-believers now, or you will miss your chance and your loved ones will burn in Hell." issue. I would read the Bible and looked around at my kin and pretty much shrug at their unsavory behavior.

I mean, how can these ppl (my relatives) have the gall to preach the Gospels to ppl but they spent more time being unbearably frugal, gossiping, fighting and stubborn. They hardly practiced what they preach and when confronted about it, they went on the defensive.

So I starting thinking to myself and religiously about myself.  

bilqisnargis

2,600 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
  • Statustician 100

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 am
what kind of ******** up new sreporter is that guy?

i live in florida, and most of the people here are Baptists.... hell, my mom's side of the family is southern baptist except for herself (pagan). most of my friends are not allowe dto hang out with me, and some arn't even allowe dto talk to me, because their parents think that somehow i am a bad influence on them. which is ironic, because here i am trying to get them off of drugs and alchahol and ciggarettes that they are only even doing as a means of rebelling against their overly strict religious parents, or because of peer pressure from school.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:40 pm
i believe ALL religions should back off and let people make their own choice. Having been Christian, i know the "consequences of my actions" of going to hell, but the Wiccan three-fold law can be just as bad, and it is a pagan religion. ( I am Wicccan as of 2 years ago, and before that, i was obssessed with reading the bible, and i found so many contradictory and hypocritical statements...) In Norse beliefs, Hel is a place of eternal COLD not burning brimstone. (Hel & Hell are said the same way...) Hel was the place for the idle and uncaring though.... ( I am NOT going to be quoting the bible so...)
It is often said idle hands are the workshop of the devil or something, which, to me, seems very similar the the idle of Norse beliefs. Srry if any of you think i am wrong in my opinions though...  

Falsequivalence

Religious Debate

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces