Reply Debate and Discussion
Jesus. Man or Myth?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ferret658

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:02 am
There has been much controversy, so let's talk about it cos I'm bored and there haven't been any new topics in here that I can discuss (I've missed a lot....)

How do we know that Jesus was really the Son of God? How do we know He's the Hebrew Messiah, if even they don't believe that their God has a Son whom He sent ot die for the sins of the world? How can we accurately trust the NT as truth when there are so many outrageous claims of miracles that Jesus did? Were all these people inebriated to the point of mass hallucination?  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:04 am
Jesus the man: Good chance a man by that name lived about 2000 years ago

Jesus the son of God: very unlikely

as for mass hallucination
we only see one single account originating about 300 years after said events that says people of the time saw said miracles

this is a case of one mans writing not the spoken testimony hundreds
thus mass hallucination isn't in question but rather the legitimacy of what may likely be a work of fiction far more so than truth

but there is a chance that I am wrong  

lordstar

Jessie-the-Foodie

9,700 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:06 am
Think of The Holy Bible as a historical and poetic book, rather than some work of fiction or fantasy. The Bible says that Jesus, as well as others, healed the sick and brought the dead back to life. If this was just a mass hallucination, then don't you think that it would have been rather temporary, and not sound so much more long term? Also, Jesus was crucified, and did die, and was buried for three days, and it was not a ghost that people saw later, but Jesus himself, alive. He even ate something...and He rose up to Heaven. I believe that those things happened.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:36 am
lordstar
Mary, Joseph and Jesus were very popular names back then. Why do you think that they called Him Jesus, the Christ; Jesus of Nazareth?

Quote:
Depends on which Jesus you're speaking of.

Quote:
we only see one single account originating about 300 years after said events that says people of the time saw said miracles
The Gospels of the New Testament were written within one lifetime of Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection and ascension. And there are more copies of these than there are copies of Shakespeare, or of Beowulf - yet you still believe that they exist and are real.

Quote:
thus mass hallucination isn't in question but rather the legitimacy of what may likely be a work of fiction far more so than truth
The Bible was written over 1500 years, by four men on three different continents, yet, somehow the overall message of God's love and Jesus are never skewed. People wann turn it into, "Yeah, well rabbits don't chew cud," or, "You should have your head covered while you pray," But it isn't about that dumb stuff. It's about God and it's about Jesus.

Quote:
Bingo. wink  

ferret658

The_Lord_is_My_Shepard

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:17 pm
I believe and confess that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, God in the flesh. He was conceived by the Holy Ghost in the virgin womb of Mary. “The Word was made flesh and dwelt among us.” (John 1:14) Christ as Deity hung on the cross for our sins. If Christ be not God, then we are yet in our sins and without hope. Matt. 1:23 "Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us."  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:46 pm
ferret658
lordstar
Mary, Joseph and Jesus were very popular names back then. Why do you think that they called Him Jesus, the Christ; Jesus of Nazareth?

Quote:
Depends on which Jesus you're speaking of.

Quote:
The Gospels of the New Testament were written within one lifetime of Jesus' crucifixion, resurrection and ascension. And there are more copies of these than there are copies of Shakespeare, or of Beowulf - yet you still believe that they exist and are real.

Quote:
The Bible was written over 1500 years, by four men on three different continents, yet, somehow the overall message of God's love and Jesus are never skewed. People wann turn it into, "Yeah, well rabbits don't chew cud," or, "You should have your head covered while you pray," But it isn't about that dumb stuff. It's about God and it's about Jesus.

Quote:
Bingo. wink

1) My point exactly...popular name...likely to be a Jesus of Nazareth

2) I thought I was quite clear...unless there is more than one Jesus son of god...ya know the holy man himself

3) No, the gospels you speek of emerged from the roman empire well after this supposed crucifixion, resurrection and ascension

4) again no, we have the account of one person who claims each work was written when and by whom

5) although there is a chance I am wrong the odds are greatly in my favor  

lordstar

Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces