Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Ode to the English

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gold?
Sure
100%
 100%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 18

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:25 pm
I wonder why the US takes so much crap for being ignorant and discriminatory but other more progressive countries are being raised on a pedestal, they're moving forward and leaving their history of discrimination behind in the dust.

Racism can get pretty bad in Europe, Thierry Henry ran a campaign a little while back against racism and it's presence on the soccer field and in the stands which makes me love him even more as if his crazy skills weren't good enough. I guess I should have expected to find that England is not always the great and enlightened place that it's made out to be, which is stupid I know. Anyway, here's the article I stumbled across:

Quote:
Council ban on atheist websites

A city council has blocked its staff from looking at websites about atheism.

The city council said the system helped managers monitor staff web access
A city council has blocked its staff from looking at websites about atheism.
Lawyers at the National Secular Society said the move by Birmingham City Council was "discriminatory" and they would consider legal action.
The rules also ban sites that promote witchcraft, the paranormal, sexual deviancy and criminal activity.

Source

Any thoughts?
Has anyone in other areas of the world had to deal with employee religious discrimination that would be similar to that?

It seems pretty odd to me but I live in a very far left leaning liberal area of the US so it's not the sort of thing that I'm use to.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:37 pm
I once had a coworker say that if he was allowed to bring his shotgun to work he would shoot up my car because I have an Obama bumper sticker on it. I was fired from the same job when it was found out that I was Jewish.  

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

starfishluvsu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:49 pm
Jewpanesey
I once had a coworker say that if he was allowed to bring his shotgun to work he would shoot up my car because I have an Obama bumper sticker on it. I was fired from the same job when it was found out that I was Jewish.

Aw... sad neither of those situations are nice at all  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm
starfishluvsu
Jewpanesey

Yeah, well, what else should I expect of the general population in the deep south?  

Jewpanesey

Quotable Conversationalist

Vasilius Konstantinos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 pm
I was recently canned from my job because I was a Libertarian surrounded by a bunch of Democrats. Mind you I have four kids and never discussed politics at my workplace. This just gave me another reason to despise our current administration to be honest.

You thought George W. "Patriot Act" Bush was bad, just wait until Barak "Tax and Spend Money We do Not Have On Personal Interests" Hussein Obama finishes off Social Security by September. If Bush did that in his term he would have been raked over the coals; Obama does it now and we blink blindly- Hypocrites!  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:09 am
Vasilius Konstantinos
I was recently canned from my job because I was a Libertarian surrounded by a bunch of Democrats. Mind you I have four kids and never discussed politics at my workplace. This just gave me another reason to despise our current administration to be honest.

You thought George W. "Patriot Act" Bush was bad, just wait until Barak "Tax and Spend Money We do Not Have On Personal Interests" Hussein Obama finishes off Social Security by September. If Bush did that in his term he would have been raked over the coals; Obama does it now and we blink blindly- Hypocrites!
Do you have proof to support this? Because last I checked, Bush killed Social Security for us. neutral  

Tirissana

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Gornwen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:00 am
Jewpanesey
starfishluvsu
Jewpanesey

Yeah, well, what else should I expect of the general population in the deep south?
You know, you aren't helping me get over my fear of the deep south.

One time, our van broke down in Vienna, Georgia. Scariest night of my life, and all we did was sit at that gas station while my parents talked to the people inside. But that giant pick up truck, rifle, and 12 pack of beer did little for my 10 year-old imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:09 pm
Seems reasonable, they should be working.

I'm more impressed that we invented the secular state whilst keeping the highest authority in the land a religious leader.  

CH1YO

Religious Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff