Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Dating outside your religion Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you date someone outside your religion?
  Yes - but only to date
  Yes - and consider marriage
  Maybe - depends on the religious difference
  No - I would rather meet my match with the same beliefs
View Results

TikiRocket

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:35 pm
This is something I used to think about a lot. I dated a Mormon once, fell completely in love with him -- it was the only time I dated someone I seriously considered a lifetime commitment to -- but we broke up because he was very serious about his beliefs and wanted a temple marriage.

You can get a temple marriage to someone who isn't of the faith.

I was kind of a mess after the breakup, and for a long time was very sure I wouldn't date outside the Wiccan/pagan circles (I was pretty involved with that community for a while). Since then I've lightened up, but I still automatically balk at the idea of dating anyone of the Christian faith.

So:

Would you date/marry outside your church/synagogue/mosque/whatever?

If so, is there a line you won't cross when it comes to getting involved outside your whatever?

And a bonus question:

Have you dated outside your religious path, and how well/poorly did it go?  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:02 pm
I would say that it's really no big deal if you date some one out side of your specific religion or belief system.
When my husband and I met we were from different religious backrounds and didn't always see eye to eye about, but we learned to agree to disagree about what we believed. I am the same religion he is now, but that's another story.

I think the most important part about dating out side of one's religion is being mature about the difference in opinions and what not, and learning to disagree.  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:17 pm
It depends. I haven't dated yet, but I considered dating a pagan once. I found myself arguing with him a lot, so I stopped talking to him. I might date someone from a different domination, but I doubt I'll ever even date an athiest or Muslim, not because I think they're bad people, but because I might get caught up in trying to convert them.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:25 pm
It depends on how much your religions matter to you. If following them matters a lot to both (or even one) of you, it will probably be a big problem.

Personally, I would never date a girl who wasn't an authentic Christian-- I wouldn't be able to connect with her on a spiritual level. Additionally, the Bible would seem to advise strongly against it.  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

quietstorm 2

Clean Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:28 pm
TikiRocket
This is something I used to think about a lot. I dated a Mormon once, fell completely in love with him -- it was the only time I dated someone I seriously considered a lifetime commitment to -- but we broke up because he was very serious about his beliefs and wanted a temple marriage.

You say you fell completely in love with him. His belief is his heart and him so you apprently loved what was instilled in him. He apparently has faith and stand for something. He sounds like a solid person; someone a wind can't come and blow away and thats faith. I'm surprise he dealt with you as a wiccan, Please don't be offended. It's a good thing for one who is solid in their faith in GOD to date someone with the same belief so once united they can together fight the storms of life. If two are unequally yoked in their belikf it leaves too much room for destruction of all kinds. the odds of the unity is one has the truth and the other is exploring and may or may not ever come to the truth. Being equally yolked is a shield against the storms to come in a lifetime and who does'nt need shields. A house divided can not stand. I do believe partners can be converted to the truth. For the one in the Lord thats a task that they should give serious consideration.

You can get a temple marriage to someone who isn't of the faith.

I was kind of a mess after the breakup, and for a long time was very sure I wouldn't date outside the Wiccan/pagan circles (I was pretty involved with that community for a while). Since then I've lightened up, but I still automatically balk at the idea of dating anyone of the Christian faith.

So:

Would you date/marry outside your church/synagogue/mosque/whatever?

If so, is there a line you won't cross when it comes to getting involved outside your whatever?

And a bonus question:

Have you dated outside your religious path, and how well/poorly did it go?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 pm
If I ever find the right man for me I'm not going to lose him over a difference of religious beliefs.  

Semiremis
Captain

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 pm
Semiremis
If I ever find the right man for me I'm not going to lose him over a difference of religious beliefs.

Which shows you don't place a very high importance on your religious beliefs. Otherwise, a man who believed differently wouldn't be the right man for you.

EDIT: *relatively high importance-- religious beliefs are lifestyle-setting paradigms for some, paradigms that any 'soul-mate' would have to share.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 pm
Nebulance
Semiremis

Which shows you don't place a very high importance on your religious beliefs. Otherwise, a man who believed differently wouldn't be the right man for you.

EDIT: *relatively high importance-- religious beliefs are lifestyle-setting paradigms for some, paradigms that any 'soul-mate' would have to share.

Not necessarily.

I could also show that I place a very high importance on my religious beliefs and have faith in God that he is leading me down the right path. When you know someone is right for you and your conscience and entire being are leading you in that direction than it's not something I would give up just because we don't see eye to eye on some things.  

Semiremis
Captain

xxEverBluexx

6,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:28 pm
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis

Not necessarily.

I could also show that I place a very high importance on my religious beliefs and have faith in God that he is leading me down the right path. When you know someone is right for you and your conscience and entire being are leading you in that direction than it's not something I would give up just because we don't see eye to eye on some things.

But this isn't some things, this is the most important thing, especially if you're a Christian. If you're going to follow Him, then you've got to with your whole heart.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:29 pm
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis

Not necessarily.

How can you know someone is right for you (with your mind, conscience, and entire being) when you can't even connect with them spiritually (despite placing a high importance on that part of your identity)?  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:14 pm
Nebulance
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis

Not necessarily.

How can you know someone is right for you (with your mind, conscience, and entire being) when you can't even connect with them spiritually (despite placing a high importance on that part of your identity)?
Because you trust that God is leading since God is in you. You can know that the direction God wants you take by a simple litmus test. Are you loving God by your actions? Are you loving your neighbor by your actions? Are you loving your enemy by your actions? Are you loving yourself by your actions? Matt 22:36-40 is where this test comes from. If any of those are a no, then your direction is not with God, otherwise you can have faith that this is what God wants you to do since Matt 22:36-40 is the most important commandment of all.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:21 pm
Nebulance
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis

Not necessarily.

How can you know anything in life?  

Semiremis
Captain

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:34 pm
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis
Nebulance
Semiremis

Not necessarily.

How can you know anything in life?

You said it first. smile My point is just this:

'Christian' means 'little Christ'. Devout Christians have dedicated their life to becoming more like Christ-- that is their identity and Jesus' message is the paradigm by which they live their life. How then, can such a Christian connect deeply with someone who rejects that paradigm?  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am
rmcdra
Because you trust that God is leading since God is in you. You can know that the direction God wants you take by a simple litmus test. Are you loving God by your actions? Are you loving your neighbor by your actions? Are you loving your enemy by your actions? Are you loving yourself by your actions? Matt 22:36-40 is where this test comes from. If any of those are a no, then your direction is not with God, otherwise you can have faith that this is what God wants you to do since Matt 22:36-40 is the most important commandment of all.

Interesting! That's very good, actually. Means that people who say god told them to go blow something up and hurt people will know it's in their heads. Unless blowing them up is loving them, or something.

Aw, heck. People can justify anything, can't they? xp

It's still pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Robbie ^_^  

Sanguina Cruenta
Crew

Eloquent Bloodsucker

rmcdra

Loved Seeker

11,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:04 am
Sanguina Cruenta
rmcdra

Interesting! That's very good, actually. Means that people who say god told them to go blow something up and hurt people will know it's in their heads. Unless blowing them up is loving them, or something.

Aw, heck. People can justify anything, can't they? xp
True one can subjectively justify anything, but can one objectively justify anything? I would say no. The Law written in stone exist for those that cannot objectively justify, hence they have not come to have the the Law written in one's own heart.
Quote:

It's still pretty cool. Thanks for sharing, Robbie ^_^
^.^ Glad I could  
Religious Debate

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out