Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Religious Debate
Hey, introducing myself

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

0UjgJBt3ONkG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:19 am
Hey everyone, thank you admins for the invite.

A few things about me, I'm 20, I live in Seattle, WA USA. I was starting an atheist activist guild on here but I have just been sitting on it not really doing anything with it. (ironic?) The bulk of my time is currently spent working on my website which is anti-religious in tone and I of course encourage people to checkout. wink It's still far from done, but you can see what I have going.

Glad to see a new guild like this on Gaia, I'll be glad to hop in some debates. I hope this guild turns out well although I honestly don't think there is much to debate as far as the existence of a god... I see it more as ongoing failed attempts to try to introduce logic into the minds of creationists.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:02 pm
Secular Swarm

A few things about me, I'm 20, I live in Seattle, WA USA. I was starting an atheist activist guild on here but I have just been sitting on it not really doing anything with it. (ironic?) The bulk of my time is currently spent working on my website which is anti-religious in tone and I of course encourage people to checkout. wink It's still far from done, but you can see what I have going.

Glad to see a new guild like this on Gaia, I'll be glad to hop in some debates. I hope this guild turns out well although I honestly don't think there is much to debate as far as the existence of a god... I see it more as ongoing failed attempts to try to introduce logic into the minds of creationists.

There's an introduction Sticky.

And there's a lot more productive topics to address than Creationism on here.  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

Semiremis
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm
Secular Swarm

Hiya Secular Swarm,

Anti-religious or anti-Christianity?

Creationists in my opinion are driven by fear, it's not an issue of introducing logic it's an issue of finding out what exactly they are afraid of and addressing that fear in particularly by not unwittingly making it worse.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm
Semiremis
Secular Swarm

Hiya Secular Swarm,

Creationists in my opinion are driven by fear, it's not an issue of introducing logic it's an issue of finding out what exactly they are afraid of and addressing that fear in particularly by not unwittingly making it worse.

I think the most effective way to disarm a Creationist's opposition to evolution is to show them that it doesn't mean they have to reject, or take any less seriously, the rest of the Bible. That's how I was finally converted to theistic evolution.  

Nebulance

Tipsy Reveler

Riiko..Izawa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:59 pm
Nebulance
Semiremis
Secular Swarm

Hiya Secular Swarm,

I think the most effective way to disarm a Creationist's opposition to evolution is to show them that it doesn't mean they have to reject, or take any less seriously, the rest of the Bible. That's how I was finally converted to theistic evolution.

Wow, I thought I was alone in this.

It's nice to see other Christians who believe in evolution.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:59 am
Riiko..Izawa
Nebulance

Wow, I thought I was alone in this.

It's nice to see other Christians who believe in evolution.

Nope not alone smile

@ Nebulance: yeah I agree with that. Mike Huckabee before the primaries was asked about evolution and he made it very clear that he thought the question was asking him whether he believed in God or not.  

Semiremis
Captain

belovedfury

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:38 pm
I don't understand how someone can choose not to believe in evolution, but then "believe" in things like vaccines and antibiotics that manifest the very scientific principle of evolution.

How can you have both?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 pm
Nebulance
Semiremis
Secular Swarm

Hiya Secular Swarm,

I think both the theory of Evolution and Creation are both credible and I believe in both  

Shadows-shine

Invisible Shapeshifter

Religious Debate

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces