User Image

Lammas/Mabon 2009

User Image

User Image

I fully admit I've been a bit busy lately, so not only is this issue is coming out some what later than planned, but it's also a bit short on content as well. I apologize and promise to make up for it next time.

Currently we are having our Lammas/Imbolc Sabbat Celebration in the Gatherings Subforum, and in September we will celebrate Mabon. I hope everyone will drop in and share in the fun.

See ya there!!

User Image

August
1: Lammas or Lughnasadh
1: Imbolc (Southern Hemisphere)

1: Birthday of medium Edward Kelley, 1555
5: Full Moon -- Corn Moon at 8:55 pm
15: Birthday of Charles Leland, folklorist and author, 1824
20: Birthday of author Ann Moura in 1947
20: New moon at 6:01 am
31: Birthday of author Raymond Buckland

September
4: Full Moon -- Harvest Moon at 12:02 pm
17: Television welcomes Bewitched in 1964
18: New moon at 2:44 pm
19 - 20: Central NC Pagan Pride Day (Raleigh, NC)
21: International Day of Peace
22: Fall Equinox or Mabon
22: Ostara (Southern Hemisphere)

October
1: Birthday of Isaac Bonewits, founder of Ár nDraíocht Féin
4: Full moon -- Blood Moon at 2:10 pm
12: Birthday of occultist Aleister Crowley
18: New moon at 1:33 am
20: Birthday of Selena Fox of Circle Sanctuary
31: Samhain
31: Beltane (Southern Hemisphere)

31: Covenant of the Goddess formed in 1975

User Image

User Image

source

User Image

For information on the exact dates and times of the Sabbats please check out this site... archaeoastronomy.com

NORTHERN HEMISPHERE

Lammas (August 1st):

Lammas is the time for the first Harvest, when the plants begin to wither and drop their seeds for our use as well to ensure future crops. The Sun God losses his strength as the sun rises farther in the south each day and the nights grow longer. The God is dying, but living inside the Goddess as her child. We are reminded that nothing in the universe is constant. Lammas stands for the funeral games of Lugh. (Lugh referring to the Irish Sun God.) However, the funeral is not his own, but the funeral games he hosts for his foster-mother Tailte. For that reason, the traditional Tailtean Craft fairs and Tailtean Marriages are celebrated at this time.

Other Names: Lughnasadh, Cornucopia, Lughsasa, and Thingtide.

Correspondences and Associations

Colors: Yellow, Orange, Green, and Brown.
Foods: Homemade Breads (Wheat, Oat, and Corn), Nuts, Wildberries, Apples, Rye, Berry Pies, Elderberry Wine, Ale, Corn, Rice, and Meadowsweet Tea.
Symbols: Corn Dolls, Wheat Weaving, Corn, and Wheat Stalks.
Incense: Aloes, Rose, and Sandalwood.
Candles: Orange and Yellow
Gemstones: Aventurine, Citrine, Peridot, Sardonyx, and Tourmaline.
Deities: Lugh, Demeter, Epona, Tailte, Cerridwen, and Rhiannon.
Herbs: Heather, Hollyhock, Grapes, Crab Apples, Sunflowers, and Pears.
Animals: Goats, Lamas, and Horses.
Work:Grains woven into God and Goddess symbols and Meditation.
Tools: Athame

Mabon (September 21st):

Mabon is the Autumn Equinox. Mabon is the completion of the Harvest that began at Lammas. Once again day and night are equal. The God prepares to leave his physical body and begin the great journey to the unseen, towards renewal and rebirth of the Goddess. Nature begins to die, laying in rest for next springs bounty. The Goddess nods in the weakening sun, but fire burns within her womb. We all take a moment to pay our respects to impending darkness. We also give thanks to the waning sunlight as we store our harvest of this year’s crops. Offerings of Ciders, Wines, Herbs, and Fertilizer are appropriate at this time. Witches and Wiccans celebrate the aging Goddess as she passes from Mother to Crone, and her consort the God as he prepares for death and re-birth.

Other Names: Fall or Autumn Equinox

Colors: Orange, Dark Red, Yellow, Brown, Maroon, Deep Gold, Violet, and Indigo.
Foods: Corn Bread Cakes, Wheat Products, Breads, Nuts, Vegetables, Apples, Cider, Carrots, Onions, Potatoes, Wine, Ale, and Pomegranates.
Symbols: Acorns, Pine Cones, Baskets of Fallen Leaves, Ivy Vines, Dried Seeds, Dried Leaves, and Dried Flowers.
Incense: Benzoin, Myrrh, Pine, Cinnamon, Cloves, Jasmine, Frankincense, and Sage.
Candles: Brown, Green, Orange, and Yellow.
Gemstones: Sapphire, Lapis Lazuli, Yellow Agates, and Yellow Topaz.
Deities:Thor, Morgan, Green Man, Epona, and Land Mother and the Muses.
Herbs: Hazel, Corn, Acorns, Oaks, Wheat Stalks, Cypress Cones, Pine Cones, Thistles, Milkweed, Pine, Cedar, and Sage.
Animals: Dogs, Wolves, Stag, Owl, Eagle, Salmon, Goat, and Blackbirds.
Work: Celebration of the Second Harvest, Ritual sprinkling of leaves, protection, prosperity, security, and self-confidence.
Tools: Red Alter Cloth and Bolline.

~~~*~~~

SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE

Imbolc (August 2nd):

Imbolc is the time to welcome spring, and celebrate the festival of the end of winter. It is a Festival of Light and Fertility. Imbolg is the recovery of the Goddess after giving birth to the God. The lengthening periods of light awaken her. The God is now young and lusty, but his power is felt during the longer days. Marking the return of Spring, the Earth feels his warmth. Imbolg represents new beginnings, spiritual growth, and the “sweeping of the old”.

Other Names: Imbolic, Candlemas, St. Bridget’s Day, Brides Day, Lady Day, Imbolg, Lupercus, and the Snowdrop Festival.

Colors: White, Pink, Red, Orange, Yellow, Light Green, and Brown.
Foods: Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Muffins, Dairy Products, Peppers, Onions, Raisons, Garlic, Poppy Seed Bread and Cakes, Herbal Teas, Spiced Wines, Potatoes, and Turnips.
Symbols: White Flowers, Candle Wheels, Yellow Flowers, Lamps, and a Dish of Snow.
Incense: Basil, Bay, Cinnamon, Violet, Vanilla, Rosemary, and Wisteria.
Candles: Brown, Pink, and Red.
Gemstones: Amethyst, Garnet, Bloodstone, and Onyx.
Deities: Bridget, Aradia, Gaia, Dagda, Pan, and Herne.
Herbs: Angelica, Basil, Bay, Blackberries, Celandine, Coltsfoot, Heather, Iris, Myrrh, Tansy, Snowdrops, and Violets.
Animals: Sheep, Wolves, Bears, Stags, Eagles, Ravens, Groundhogs, Owls, and Snakes.
Work: Blessing the Seeds for this years Garden, Fertility and Purification, All Virgin and Maiden Goddess are honored, Candle Lightings, Stone Gathering, Searching for signs of spring, and Rituals of Initiation.
Tools: Plough and Garden Implements.

Ostara (September 21st):

Ostara marks the true fist day of spring. This is the time to celebrate the balance of seasons and the passage of Night into Day. The Goddess covers the earth with Fertility as she bursts forth from her sleep. The God stretches and grows into maturity. He walks among the greening earth and delights in the abundance of nature. On Ostara, the hours of the day and night are equal. This is a time of beginnings, of action, or planting seeds for future grains. As spring reaches its midpoint, night and day stand in perfect balance. (With light on the increase.) The young Sun God now celebrates a sacred marriage with the young maiden Goddess, who conceives. In nine months she will again become the Great Mother. It is a time of great fertility and growth, and newborn animals. Ostara is the time of Fertility of the Earth.

Other Names: Eostre and Spring Equinox.

Colors: Light Green, Lemon Yellow, and Pale Pink.
Foods: Hard-Boiled Eggs, Honey Cakes, 1st Fruit of the Season, Leafy Greens, Dairy Products, Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, and Flower Dishes.
Symbols: Eggs, Rabbits, Seeds, Spring Flowers, Four-Leaf Clover, and Colored Ribbons.
Incense: African Violet, Jasmine, Rose, Sage, and Strawberry.
Candles: Gold, Green, and Yellow.
Gemstones: Aquamarine, Amethyst, and Red Jasper.
Deities: Diana, Artemis, Ostara, Eos, Eostre, Mars, Ares, The Green Man and The Maiden.
Herbs: Daffodil, Jonquils, Woodruff, Violet, Gorse, Olive, Peony, Iris, Tansy, Honeysuckle, and all Spring Flowers.
Animals: Rabbits, Hares, Robins, Dragons, Lambs, and Chicks.
Work: Planting, Coloring Eggs, Fertility Rites, Herb Work, Spells for new beginnings, prosperity, fertility, and potential.
Tools: Eggs, Baskets, and Green Clothe.

source

User Image

This month we are spotlighting the Midnight Times. This forum has all the back issues of the guild newsletter. Each one is full on interesting and helpful info to help you on your path. Also if you have any articles, art, poetry, trivia, or anything at all that you would like to submit for the next newsletter please feel free to PM it to MidnightLetter. If we use your submissions in the newsletter you will receive payment for your work - amounts will depend on type of work submitted. We are always accepting member submissions, and not only is it a great way to help out your fellow guild members, but it is also a great way to make a little extra Gaia Gold!!!

User Image

I get the Pagan/Wiccan about.com newsletter (as well as a number of other ones), and this week it had a great article that I thought I'd share with everyone.

On Being Discerning

The other night I attended a Meetup in which the topic was discernment and skepticism in modern Paganism. It's an interesting concept, because in some parts of the Pagan community there is a message sent that anyone who questions things or asks for sources is just being mean and negative. Worse yet, there's an underlying tone that to question or ask for additional information is somehow improper, in violation of all sorts of rules or guidelines.

The discussion brought to mind an experience I had years ago, early in my studies of Paganism and the occult. I had read a book by a particular author (who is still cranking out books today) and had some doubts about some of the "facts" she presented, many of which were in direct contradiction to (a) things I'd learned in history class, (b) my personal experience and (c) logic. I raised these doubts to a few other folks, and one person immediately pounced on me. "She is an author who sells a lot of books," she told me. "Why isn't her word good enough for you? Aren't we supposed to have perfect love and perfect trust?"

To this individual, "perfect love and perfect trust" meant blindly following the writings of an author without question, and I found that troubling at the time -- still do, in fact. If we Pagans want to be taken seriously as a community, I think it's important that we do question things that don't make sense, or at the very least, ask for the source of information so we can explore it in more depth. Blindly following along, never asking questions or setting higher standards, benefits no one.

A while back, we talked about what makes a book worth reading, and the fact that sometimes, you really do have to go through a lot to weed out the stinkers. I'm not saying you should doubt every single thing you read - simply that if what you read seems off, or in contradiction to what you've already learned, there's nothing wrong at all with stopping and saying "Hey, I wonder if I can find out more so I can have an informed opinion."

On that note, for a perfect example of why some books just plain suck and should be doubted, read Lisa Spangenberg's review of a book that makes a lot of claims it can't back up.

source

User Image

Well it should be a great couple of months! We're looking forward to seeing everyone hanging around. If you are looking for a great way to earn some extra gold be sure to check out the Arcade - there are lots of contests and games for everyone!!! I mention this because we give out 1000's in gold every month to a handful of loyal players, so if you are looking for your share of the loot - come on in and join the fun!!! I also encourage everyone (if you haven't already) to really explore the subforums - there are a lot of things going on that you might miss out on if you never move off of the main page blaugh

Brightest Blessings!!!