Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply The Friends of English Magic Guild
What's Your FAVORITE book ever????? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

sweet twilight fan

600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:48 pm
My FAVORITE book has to be The Twilight Saga or The Host so what's yours i really want to know 4laugh  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:02 pm
User Image

On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. It's got some cool philosophy about death along with a great scifi/fantasy adventure!

User Image

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

x--stevee--x

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:43 pm
well in terms of fantasy books i love the his dark materials books! i think they are very well written and they are so deep and you really get to know and love the characters.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:45 pm
x--stevee--x
well in terms of fantasy books i love the his dark materials books! i think they are very well written and they are so deep and you really get to know and love the characters.

You mean Sabriel and Abhorsen and stuff? I keep meaning to pick those up at the library and try them again - my friend loves them. Were they about a quest...?  

Sita Harker
Captain

6,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:42 pm
i have so many, it is not fair to the others to choose only one.

but of all things i believe it may be Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath by H. P. Lovecraft; even though it has ghouls and monsters it is truly a fantasy, and a poignant one.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:23 pm
Sita Harker
x--stevee--x

You mean Sabriel and Abhorsen and stuff? I keep meaning to pick those up at the library and try them again - my friend loves them. Were they about a quest...?

well the his dark materials books i like are called, the golden compass, the subtle knife, and the amber spyglass. by phillip pullman. they made a movie of the golden compass which i thought was really good!  

x--stevee--x

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:39 pm
i agree about the movie!

sometimes if you like a book, the movie can be disappointing

but not that one  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 pm
Sita Harker
x--stevee--x

That's the Abhorsen trilogy, and I love it. They were essentially about zombie invasions, except the word "zombie" was never said once. xd It's hard to say what it's about, really...  

Lhia Dunwaith

gemela_dos

Heroic Gekko

15,450 Points
  • Overstocked 200
  • Nuclear Plant 500
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:35 pm
If I had to pick, it might be decided between either the Poison Study Books...or...or...*looks around frantically*...OH GOD I can't choose.

Lhia_Dunwaith

That's the Abhorsen trilogy, and I love it. They were essentially about zombie invasions, except the word "zombie" was never said once. xd It's hard to say what it's about, really...

I LOVE those books! (btw Lhia I still have yours xd ) They're about necromancers and dark magic sort of stuff. The gates to the afterlife in those books were so interesting!  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:33 pm
Sita Harker
x--stevee--x

I used to LOVE Garth Nix's books, I haven't read them in forever though (looks up at bookshelf guiltily) sweatdrop As for my curent favorite book, well....that's a hard decision, but probably Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachet. It's just so darn funny rofl  

Catherine of Aragon

-PinkTasmik-

Magnetic Explorer

7,950 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:37 pm
I'd have to say The Faerie Wars Chronicles by Herbie Brennan. 3nodding I adore those books!

That, or Sabriel. I have yet to read the rest of the books, though. ninja

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 am
Catherine of Aragon
Sita Harker
x--stevee--x

I used to LOVE Garth Nix's books, I haven't read them in forever though (looks up at bookshelf guiltily) sweatdrop As for my curent favorite book, well....that's a hard decision, but probably Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Prachet. It's just so darn funny rofl

i am just now reading Academicals by mr. Pratchett.

see i got it as a gift for someone else, but if i am very careful he'll never know it was pre-used.

unlike a CD where you have to tear the wrapper off...  

beaulolais
Vice Captain

Jedi Knight26

7,400 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:33 pm
I like too many to just pick one. I like Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Inheritance Cycle, Heir Trilogy, Harry Potter, Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, The Mortal Instruments Series, Charlie Bone series, The Time Traveler's Wife, My Sister's Keeper, anything by Lurlene McDaniel and Lord of the Rings to name a few.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:36 am
My favorite books for re-reading are The Batimaeus Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings.  

Lady Pole
Crew

beaulolais
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:41 pm
Wintertowne
My favorite books for re-reading are The Batimaeus Trilogy and The Lord of the Rings.

LOTR may be the all time best, for depth of detail, background, culture, history, myth, music, poetry, geography...it is hard to match that kind of worldbuilding.  
The Friends of English Magic Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff