Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Okay its independence day

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:03 am
In America, it's July 4th, Independence day :3
Although sometimes i wish we hadn't broke off from Britain.

I am not one for National days, no matter what country.
Since the hippie part of me thinks we're all humans and share this Earth together, and i do not see why people think that they truly 'own' land.

Buttttttttt i realize a lot of people all of the world, do like their National holidays.

* Does your country have a National holiday or 'independence' day?
* Do you celebrate it?
* What all do you do for the day?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:17 am
We were also sort of ‘celebrating’ your Independence Day here.. there were much of TV programmes about America yesterday in the history channel. smile

In Israel, we are celebrating our Independence Day due to the Hebrew date (5th of Iyár); since in the Jewish calendar the day changes at evening, at the day before and at its morning we are first have the Israeli Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorists Remembrance Day; that - and the fact a week before the Independence Day we have the Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day - is meant for us citizens to remember the sacrifice we had to pay for that independence.
There is a main event in Jerusalem (delivers in live by the media) that usually opens the celebrations; in my hometown we have an happening with some attractions as a Café, Amisement rides, folk dances, stand-up comedy, fireworks and alike.
Usually I either go there, or do something with my friends. ;P  

Einllikoach
Crew

Verderbnis
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:43 am
I have the advantage of living in germany, we have two similar days which are celebrations:

3rd of October - Reunion day
9th of November - Downfall of the Berlin wall

I don't see those days as national celebrations, I rather see some of those days as a breaking event for worlds history. The reunion of germany is a chapter of closing the past to me, even though there are still problems between east and westside of germany, I think there have been concepts in the GDR which worked better and concepts in the FRG, but politicians are too busy to judge the GDR as totally bad.

I have a huge respect towards other national memorial days, they often sign a groundbreaking event in the foreign history.

But what I really hate are military memorial days; I mourn the dead sons and daughters who were either standing on the wrong side or brainf***ed enough to go to war. I don't let it count that someone died "on the field of honor" to "serve their country", that excuse is mainly used by people who think there has ever been a war with good reasons.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 pm
Einllikoach
We were also sort of ‘celebrating’ your Independence Day here.. there were much of TV programmes about America yesterday in the history channel. smile

In Israel, we are celebrating our Independence Day due to the Hebrew date (5th of Iyár); since in the Jewish calendar the day changes at evening, at the day before and at its morning we are first have the Israeli Fallen Soldiers and Victims of Terrorists Remembrance Day; that - and the fact a week before the Independence Day we have the Holocaust and Heroism Remembrance Day - is meant for us citizens to remember the sacrifice we had to pay for that independence.
There is a main event in Jerusalem (delivers in live by the media) that usually opens the celebrations; in my hometown we have an happening with some attractions as a Café, Amisement rides, folk dances, stand-up comedy, fireworks and alike.
Usually I either go there, or do something with my friends. ;P

We have a 'Holocaust Remembrance Day', but for some reason it changes each year >< So for good measure all the schools, churches, American television channels and other medias, educate/reflect for the entire month.

Elementary or Middle school read Anne Frank's diary, and most high school literature classes read Elie Wisel's first hand accounts.

And sorry, which one of the days is celebrated in Jerusalem?
It sounds very active xD
I want to visit Israel, waahhh crying  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:57 pm
Verderbnis
I have the advantage of living in germany, we have two similar days which are celebrations:

3rd of October - Reunion day
9th of November - Downfall of the Berlin wall

I don't see those days as national celebrations, I rather see some of those days as a breaking event for worlds history. The reunion of germany is a chapter of closing the past to me, even though there are still problems between east and westside of germany, I think there have been concepts in the GDR which worked better and concepts in the FRG, but politicians are too busy to judge the GDR as totally bad.

I have a huge respect towards other national memorial days, they often sign a groundbreaking event in the foreign history.

But what I really hate are military memorial days; I mourn the dead sons and daughters who were either standing on the wrong side or brainf***ed enough to go to war. I don't let it count that someone died "on the field of honor" to "serve their country", that excuse is mainly used by people who think there has ever been a war with good reasons.

I had no idea there were still issues with the West & East sides of Germany.

I do not support war in ANY way, but i do support most soldiers.
My best friend is in the US Army and was honestly sucked into it. She doesnt support war either, but she needed money for college and healthcare.

Healthcare is a big reason most Americans join any Armed Service, i've even considered enrolling in the Coast Guard for it. Ive not been to any doctors in 3 years =/ I cant afford the huge medical bills, but as a woman, i am supposed to go to the gynecologist 1 time a year. (TMI? LOL!)

Have you visited Denmark??
I ask since it's right up there above your country x3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:11 am
I don't really like the idea of national holidays.

I think those ceremonies have a huge impact on many people. This grief, of the families of those who have died in war, shouldn't be as public, that's for one. I recall a funeral of a friend, where things just couldn't be run properly because every news channel just HAD to shove their microphones in everyone's faces.
But that's not the main reason. I think that since so many people are exposed to these events, since it's so meaningful to so many, they shouldn't be focusing on the fallen, they should be praising the ones who lived their full lives making a positive difference. Those who made a meaningful contribution. The death of a soldier on the battlefield is tragic, the fruitful life of someone who worked to better their surroundings is something to learn from. I don't think you should die a horrible death at a young age to be a hero in your country. That's not what you should be teaching its civilians, and those ideas, to me, they just spoil everything.  

Im A Little Pea
Crew

RubyLight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm
Im the United States, I feel our Independece Day has lost much of it's significance. It's more like "National Fireworks Day." sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:42 am
PiercedPixie2

I had no idea there were still issues with the West & East sides of Germany.

I do not support war in ANY way, but i do support most soldiers.
My best friend is in the US Army and was honestly sucked into it. She doesnt support war either, but she needed money for college and healthcare.

Healthcare is a big reason most Americans join any Armed Service, i've even considered enrolling in the Coast Guard for it. Ive not been to any doctors in 3 years =/ I cant afford the huge medical bills, but as a woman, i am supposed to go to the gynecologist 1 time a year. (TMI? LOL!)

Have you visited Denmark??
I ask since it's right up there above your country x3

Healthcare and safe payment have always been a good way to devour young people coming fresh from school. I know lots of regions have high rates of unemployed people and the army is the biggest employer in those regions. I would join the armed forces, too, if I had no other choice (and they'd take me if I didn't smoke pot from time to time). It's a working system to offer everything to a "have nothing", it works with children such as adults.

Sure, not every soldier promotes war, one of the people I respect most on this world showed his protest against war in an unconventional way: He operated without a gun. He was a medic and patched his comrades in Iraq without even a gun equipped while being on the first front, so yes in that point you're right. But one of my friends joined the Bundeswehr and days later he died to me: He said he'll go to Kosovo to "shoot some people", thinking like a mercernary is dangerous and in addition you can be indifferent to which side you stand at!

Personally I just don't want to serve someone who clashes with the neighbor and wants me to start fighting with him. I still have my own war every day, so just leave me alone with that c**p!

To end my post:
That was tmi to me, I'm not your boyfriend who should care wink
And:
Yes I have been to Denmark, it was a class trip to a partner school which was somewhere around Arhus, unfortunately my photos are messed all up and my pet bunny appears on them like a ghost.  

Verderbnis
Crew

The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces