Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:34 pm
User Image

Kaanga normally came home from watching No's kids late. Late enough that it was rare they ever did anything. Upendo'Mpaji didn't really blame her for it. Children took a lot out of someone. He knew because he remembered having to watch Uzulu's sometimes during the day. That didn't count the six that were his children, but not really his children.

The sun hadn't quite started to set yet, and he was at home. When he wasn't here, he was normally wandering around the pride exchanging friendly comments and listening for anything that might have gone wrong. For now, everything seemed at peace. He'd had the opportunity to climb up on the highest sand-rocks he could find several a time and look, just look. It was a bit lonely but it was better than doing nothing at all.

Today, however, impatience had gotten the best of them. Yawning and stretching, he worked his way down the well-worn path from their home and off to where Kaanga watched over No's cubs. He hadn't really seen them since they were young, and he thought that Kaanga had enough to deal with without him there.

Breaking into a jog, Mpaji found himself thinking he'd lost some weight with her gone. Hopefully she'd be ready to come home by the time he arrived. Otherwise he'd have to wait. Not that it was a bad thing. Perhaps it was about time he talked to No again. . .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:12 pm
And they were a handful!

Eight kids was six more than Kaanga had ever had to deal with before- but luckily, being born in a large family herself had desensitized her a bit to the onslaught. She couldn't complain. She could not think of anything she had done, save birth her Taking care of the cubs had given Kaanga a new sense of strength. In some ways, it had redeemed her.

But, it wasn't just the cubs that had given the fallen princess back her spirit.

She was arriving home earlier than usual. No had come home in a huff after an unfortunate incident involving Ea, Armada, and a rather dirty word that had come out of the young cubs mouth. Just the thought of the angry wrath Ea must have come under brought a wince to her face. No... had problems turning off being regent around her kids. But, she was sure that Kidondo would come home and fix the problem soon enough. He was a good leader, both to his family and the pride.

Turning the path down towards her den, she was surprised to find Mpaji heading down towards her. Her face brightened, and quite unabashedly, the lioness bolted towards him. "Mpaji!" She gleamed. "She is coming home now!"

She turned, looking back towards the way she'd came. "Might not be so good to go too near. No is on a rampage."

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:24 pm
Mpaji was never very good at looking ahead while he walked. So it wasn't until he heard that bright, shiny call of his name that he looked up.

There was Kaanga, looking quite as wonderful - or perhaps even more happy than - as she always was. He gave her a smile in return for her enthusiasm and wrinkled his nose lightly as a gust of wind put some sand in his face.

He was about to bump her head affectionately when the female turned around and he was left looking off in that direction with a bit of perplex upon his features. No on a rampage? That was dangerous indeed. The regent wasn't a regent for 'No' reason at all.

Okay, so it was a bad pun. He wasn't a creator of jokes. He was a softhearted lion whose friend had to take care of the regent's cubs quite often. Jokes weren't in the job description.

"Hmm . . . we'll leave No to her swift tongue." He came up beside her to look off into that direction. As hard as he looked, he could see nothing discernible at this distance. The earth in the way didn't help much. "How are the cubs?" he then asked in a quick effort to switch the subject from the raging mother lion.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:44 pm
"Good!" She adored, looking over her shoulder once more. "...A handful, you know. She thinks they are good cubs, but sometimes No worries. Mothers worry." It brought a slight pause to Kaanga's voice. It didn't matter how long time passed- she would always worry for her boys. But, she was bouncing back. "They all have apprenticeships now! Working, all the time. They'll make them proud."

"I... they would have made even Father proud, she thinks. She knows." Kaanga corrected, her neck arching as though she could ward off old ghosts with her look alone. "But, that's just me. All the babies, really. They are good firekin. Kibela's cubs are almost grown too..." She cooed.

"But, what has Mpaji done today? I have time. Should go somewhere, she thinks!" The cat preened. She started to backwards walk, so she could look Mpaji in the eyes while still moving. It was a peculiar habit that she was getting even more precariously good at.

Although, that said, Kaanga wasn't quite sure where...

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:58 pm
He watched her as she said it - he was waiting for the realization to dawn on her features. Kaanga was strange in that she spoke her mind first, and subconscious seemed to catch up with her later. When she mentioned mother's worrying, it was only natural that she was telling him that she worried. Mpaji didn't need to ask to know. For a long time, it had been all she thought about. He'd been there when they'd first been separated, and he remembered how terrified she'd been.

He had a lot to owe to time, he decided. It healed Kaanga's worry in ways he could never manage.

"They would have," he affirmed. It was partially out of habit, but mostly because he'd started to believe everything Kaanga said. Sometimes they were silly, ridiculous things that merely made him smile. But she didn't lie - how could she? - and sincerity went a long way.

"I found an oddly stamped rock today," he said as he followed her back around. The edges of his mouth slowly curled as she started walking backwards. He kept their eye-contact but watched her back feet in his peripheral vision in case a mean, horrible rock would suddenly chance to bite her. "I brought it home to put it next to the good luck bird." The one they'd built together for Uzulu. He considered it good luck for Kaanga's sons, wherever they were. In a moment of selfishness, he did not wish Uzulu that same luck. He hoped to never see the lion's face again.

"I went to visit Azarax as well, but he was not home. When Kaanga has time again, we should go find old friends." He gave her a light laugh as she kept going. Being around her so much had begun to make him talk like her. He didn't mind.

"Does Kaanga have anywhere in particular she wants to go?"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:21 pm
She spun around happily. "Yes! Yes!" Kaanga gleamed. "I remember, I remember. It will be good next to the bird!" Firekin weren't supposed to be religious anymore, but very secretly she thanked the heavens for a little piece of hope. She knew, she knew it was a sign. A message from her sons. From Uzulu even!

Yes, Kaanga was still angry with him. She could not say she loved him as she once did. But there was still a spot for her lost love. For the man she had, perhaps on her own fruition, created in her mind. Should she see him again, he might get an earful of some of her own token firekin wrath. But, elsewhere, she wished him everything. Hopefully...maybe he had found their sons, and looked after them elsewhere. She only hoped they would all change their sights and come home someday.

"Mpaji has always been lucky for me," She spoke, resuming her walk. "Azarax! Busy with his babies, she thinks! So beautiful! I will speak to No, who will speak to Yin-Li, who will speak to Azarax."

Hrrm. But where? Kaanga shifted her ears. "...unfortunately, she's not very good at planning." Her voice trailed as she considered. What would No do? ...She'd probably keep working in her free time. Armada liked to beat up rogues at the borders...

"Lets go out to the dunes. Something I should show Mpaji." Kaanga suddenly decided. "See what Mpaji thinks."

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:32 am
When Kaanga was happy, Upendo'Mpaji pitied any and every poor soul that did not have her as a companion and did not know her. There were so many people he met - he knew - that were bored and frustrated with life. Just like a child, Kaanga never lost her spirit. He could say that around her, he could be truly happy. Even on the worst of days, her hard and ever-springing spirit could lift a mood, and life never lost its luster.

When he thought he'd gone quite far enough backwards, he'd started to walk with her. Not that he had any complaints about the habit. Everything about Kaanga was a bit odd. "Good," he said. "It will be good to see him again."

As it was good that the whole pride was flourishing. He heard about new cubs frequently now, and they were beautiful. In that aspect, he couldn't agree with Kaanga more.

The dunes? It had been quite a while since he'd gone out to those. He had his own reasons for avoiding them at times.

"The dunes sound wonderful, Kaanga," he said with a grin and picked up the pace a little. "And when we get there, I'll race you down one of the great hills of sand." As a cub, it was always something he wanted to do. But Motomilia had no interest in it, no matter how much he'd pestered. It was never fun to run down by yourself, especially when you were scolded for it immediately thereafter.

"But you're going to have to lead and walk straight, because I don't know where Kaanga is taking me," he added with a laugh and bumped their noses to break eye contact.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:19 am
She smiled as their noses bump, and sighed. "She will walk correctly for him." Despite her dramatics, it was quite clear that it didn't bother Kaanga. She would have to be sure she followed the right path. This thing she wanted to show him had a habit of...moving. Among other things.

"A race! She cannot lie, she is very fast. She also is trixy." Kaanga admitted slyly. Kaanga's innate firekin nature often found its way out in strange ways. She enjoyed a good contest- her days trailing Koka had taught her a thing or two about winning. The thought of her sister made the corner of her ear twitch, and for a moment, her face went a bit more serious.

"Truly, though..." She started. She wondered if this outing was the best idea. She'd known about this particular spot for quite a while now, and had been wrecking her mind over whether or not to inform Kidondo about it. If he didn't already know...

But, no. Mpaji was good with these things. Besides, she hated secrets. "Well, well- I'll tell you when we get there. For now, I think I shall win."

And with that, she bolted down the path.

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:35 am
Mpaji cocked a brow at Kaanga's competitive nature. Kaanga looking sly reminded him of. . . well, he wasn't sure what, but it was hardly a threatening look. In this case, perhaps it worked for Kaanga's advantage.

His ears perked up as her voice seemed to drop and ideas started to change. And then it was all right back up again. It left Mpaji confused, and he wondered if that was her secret plan as she was suddenly gone. Only the words 'I think I shall win' were left ringing in his ears.

"Hey, hey!" he shouted off after her when he suddenly figured it out. It turned into a low and rumbling laugh as he broke into a jog and finally a run. It was more of a lumber, really. Being a big lion wasn't conducive to speed. It was, however, very good for moving huge quantaties of dirt this way and that and getting nowhere.

But Mpaji loped after her anyway and was quite certain he wouldn't catch her with every step he took. Forget the lost weight when she wasn't around part; he had clearly gained it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am
Kaanga tore off, delighting in the feeling of sand beneath her paws. It had been a long while since she'd ran quite like this- and it had been well missed. It didn't take more then a few blinks for them to pass by the den, and head down the slope which lead out to the rolling sands. But as she rounded another corner, she realized that Mpaji was falling behind.

Smiling, Kaanga flipped around and ran back towards Mpaji, quickly circling him and then skipping backwards as they moved. Weight or not, there was nothing but admiration in princess's gold eyes. "Almost there!" She said. Well, almost to the sands anyways.

"Mpaji is deceptively fast, she thinks." Kaanga commented as she hopped. "Will be good, might have to be fast later."

Another hop, and she felt her paws sink into sand. The rugged earth was gone- and now, nothing but the desert and the roaring of the setting sun.

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:03 pm
Mpaji snorted as Kaanga kept her stride with ease even with her strange direction. It was almost humiliating that she trumped him so easily, or it would have been had he not found it hilarious or not.

"I'll be fast later," he agreed with a grin. He had big feet, and they were excellent for keeping from sinking deep into the sand. He supposed having big feet probably came with being a bit lion, or perhaps they were just unnaturally sized.

He glanced out to the dunes on cue, and the smile upon his face only grew more broad. The distance you could see on their great forms was enough to make most's head spin. Mpaji had always had a love for heights, however, and the great piles of sand were his favourite kind to look out from.

"I'll meet you at the top of that big dune over there!" he said loudly and dug in his feet. A few short seconds later and he was tearing up the edge of a starting dune. He hoped whatever Kaanga had to show him was in this direction, or he'd be getting more exercise than he planned today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:12 pm
"Yes, yes!" Kaanga agreed. Now that a direction had been chosen, she tore back into the front- sprinting like a kind of strange, oversized hare. It delighted her. Mpaji running beside her [or, well, a few feet behind!] was a kind of...cohesion Kaanga rarely experienced. She loved that he knew the direction she wanted to take him. Like magic, it was a sign. There were no fish swimming beneath them that day.

Kaanga lept once she reached to the top, and belly flopped into the hot sands. She slid and rolled once, her tail flicking behind her as she stretched. Laying upside down, she could see the sun just slipping behind the tops of a distant dune, like a giant winking eye. She smiled. "Come on, Mpaji. Up here. Not too far from here."

She shifted, and rolled back upright, and took a full, deep breath. Once he was beside her, she turned to face him. "Mpaji, do you think she is a liar?" She said, suddenly.

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:41 pm
Unlike his more fit counterpart, Mpaji was a bit out of breath when he finally made it up the dune. He took a few heavy, long intakes and then flopped down besides her.

He was too lazy and tired to stretch, but the smile on his face told all. When she called out, he got up from his position and moved the last hundred feet at a walking pace before he settled onto his haunches and watched the fluff of her tummy furl in the light breeze.

At the question, his brows furrowed together and his eyes widened a little. "She? Oh, you, Kaanga?" he asked. A second later he bit his tongue and shook his mane out.

"I don't see why you would be. What have you got to lie about?" He let his paws slide in the sand until he was lying on his belly and looking back in her direction. "Nah. You think in strange ways sometimes, but I don't think you'd ever lie."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:10 am
Kaanga twisted, feeling the sand slide out from underneath her back. She didn't say anything for a moment- but her face had fallen uncharacteristically still. She seemed to be considering something before she continued. "She thinks she might be. I didn't mean it. Not really." She admitted, looking at the sky. "I saw Armada walking on the dunes. She says, 'You have not seen anyone, tonight- eh?' Kaanga says no. But she's lying, I think."

Kaanga sat up. "I did see someone. There's someone out here, Mpaji. But she is not sure what to do about it."

A slight gust of wind picked up specks of sand and tossed them through the air. Her face tensed. "Should see what Mpaji thinks, he's always right..."

Mimsey

Kaelyndra

Liberal Streaker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 pm
Kaanga thought she was a liar? Well that was really very sill-- oh.

"Kaanga was lying, yes," Mpaji reinforced, but it was only stated to affirm her question and not to make an accusation. If Kaanga was worried enough to lie, then perhaps this was a very unfortunate thing indeed.

The idea of someone out in the sands - someone they did not know - was a bit unnerving. In his youth, Mpaji would have bounded out to greet a stranger, but the Blood were a different breed now, and he'd grown the slightly aloof and wary strength that belonged to his bretherin.

"This. . . someone, it's always here when you come? Has it ever seen you?" As if on cue, Mpaji's eyes went searching out over the dunes, straining to catch the detail on their borders. It had probably been best not to tell Armada for the time being.

This was a matter for the Regents themselves most likely, but Upendo'Mpaji didn't want to take any hasty actions that would leave everyone embarrassed and razzled.

Whoever it was, they would have to be watched. He was sure there was still some boiling hate for the Firekin, especially after the slaves had been released and word seeped out. No matter their changed ways, it was not the new blood that left to spread their anger. A straggler on their borders could be very dangerous, especially for young cubs.

[IC] Motoujamii-Simo Lands [IC]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff