Submit

Xx Lushrocker xX

Friendly Fairy

7,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm
So, first, gaia makes an announcements, lot of links of things you can do, to get some gaia cash.
STUFFED WITH MALWARE, SPYWARE, THIRD PATY SITES THAT SEND SPAMMAIL.

Gaia apologizes by giving away a halo from an old banned account.
ONLY 99 GAIA CASH TO ENTER THE HALO RAFFLE!

Yeah..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:53 pm
Cashmere Cactus
Ahh, I knew I'd see this thread pop up at least once-- it always happens if we do something that people don't like followed by something people do like.

It would actually be fairly awesome if we could put together something like this in three hours whenever something didn't go over well, but actually the halo giveaway thing has been in development for a few weeks and it was mere coincidence alone that made it launch at the same time as the offer thing.

Edit: with the offers, by the way, we're working hard to yank out all the ones that people are saying contain virus stuff. Obviously that stuff isn't cool with us. I think we'll have a formal reporting thread for that very soon (or maybe we do already and I haven't noticed).

From this thread. Still nice ploy Gaia. You send us scam spam free Gaia Cash links then send the free Halo raffle though you have to pay a certain amount of Gaia Cash in order to enter. I like the free Wind Halo but you just slapped a lot of old members, even if it's just one Halo.  

Hikari Tokoyami

Fleur De Amour

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:10 pm
It's nice Gaia has at least attempted to make Gaia Cash available to regular users. My boyfriend has done just about all of the offers with no problems, then again he knows a lot about viruses and spyware, if he gets any problems he can handle them himself, other users might have more difficulty.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:51 pm
Fleur De Amour
It's nice Gaia has at least attempted to make Gaia Cash available to regular users. My boyfriend has done just about all of the offers with no problems, then again he knows a lot about viruses and spyware, if he gets any problems he can handle them himself, other users might have more difficulty.

make that "most" other users. I've done some investigating on these.. and both by my and other's feedback, have decided that there is no amount of free GC that would make me want to risk opening my computer up to that. Trojans of all kinds, spambots, backdoors, downloader monitors, one even had a damn keylogger in it.

I'll pass on that. No. Forget it. I don't care how good your antivirus' programs are, I ain't doin' it. Gaia can take these scams and shove them all up Craig Sherman's a**. All at once. For exposing the userbase to such.... bullshit.  

QuestionableMeatProducts
Crew

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:04 am
The fine print on many of the offers say they aren't available to anyone under 18 or outside the USA. With that said, it's kinda sad that I'm feeling tempted to use a free offer just because I want an Angelic Lace. *headdesk* God forbid a teenager without as much restraint as me get involved with this and get scammed or something.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:18 pm
It also asks for yout national security number and bank account details.  

Xx Lushrocker xX

Friendly Fairy

7,150 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Consumer 100

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm
The fact that it asks for such information is one of the reasons why I won't get myself involved in doing those offers.

You also get banned for putting in false information...*blinks* How that makes sense I'll never know...Gaia the hypocrite much?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:58 pm
Anything that asks for personal information is just... no. Not doing it, the end. That's common sense. I feel for kids/teenagers/child-adults on the site who are still immature enough not to have that kind of common sense, but I've been paranoid enough my whole life that even when I was 13 I wouldn't do stuff like that.

Okay, where is everyone getting this "false information will get accounts banned" stuff? Is there a mod/dev/admin post somewhere I missed or is it just a rumor?

Nanenna

Hikari Tokoyami

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:08 pm
It's in the ToS I believed.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:54 pm
Can you blame people for trying to use false information though, so that their identity won't potentially be stolen? And even then, when you do, malware on the sites that ask for it are already digging through your computer, so there's no sense in even trying.
Why does Gaia even bother? That was so low of them. It's starting to look like they ARE desperate for your money but not in a very "We need it" way, more of a "Give us more, we don't care how you do it or if you get hurt" way. It does make me want to leave Gaia, yes. And I'm actively looking for another place to hang out, so that I won't be stuck here when the last straw breaks the camel's back. Which isn't very long from now.

Chaos Blue

Siarnaq
Crew

Fashionable Fatcat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:39 pm
@Chaos Blue: Tell me what you find. I want to find another site to hang out on besides this one, since it's going to kick the bucket soon. :[  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:17 pm
The "false information" deal shows up when you click the "problem" link next to an offer you did but are having difficulties with. You can disregard my previous post though, as a mod/admin has stated that that refers to people being banned from the site that hands out the offers. Still, who knows if Gaia's gonna pull a "false information gets you banned."

*whoosh!* Edit:
siskataya

I have read your post, and I think that perhaps you are misinterpreting the issue of getting banned from Gaia with getting your account banned from the getgambit.com site for providing them with false information.

The following statement is on the getgambit.com website, in their FAQ section, which states:
Quote:
Filing more than one complaint per offer only slows down the process and we will do our best to respond to you within 24 hours. If we find out you are attempting to fraud your account will be banned.

This is referring to the fact that getgambit.com may block you from participating in any future offers if you provide false information on their site.

Be well ^^
Siskataya, Gaia Online Administrator

From.... ninja Here!  

Andromeda Phoenix

Shy Gaian

13,750 Points
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Marathon 300
  • Partygoer 500

UPC Betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:14 pm
Chaos Blue
Can you blame people for trying to use false information though, so that their identity won't potentially be stolen? And even then, when you do, malware on the sites that ask for it are already digging through your computer, so there's no sense in even trying.
Why does Gaia even bother? That was so low of them. It's starting to look like they ARE desperate for your money but not in a very "We need it" way, more of a "Give us more, we don't care how you do it or if you get hurt" way. It does make me want to leave Gaia, yes. And I'm actively looking for another place to hang out, so that I won't be stuck here when the last straw breaks the camel's back. Which isn't very long from now.

I hang out on Menewsha a fair amount. The staff is very friendly and very personal with the users and I feel like they have a great rapport with the userbase, especially when it comes to user feedback on things like changing store prices.

Of course it's harder to earn gold, but several of their clothing items are multi-equip, which means you buy one item and can equip as many of its poses as you want.

Also, it's a fairly literate site.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:50 pm
I just did the Discover card offers. This was before I read about all the malware/viruses and whatnot.
Good thing that was all I did. I got the letters from Discover like a week later saying "Denied." -_-;...I wanted to get a credit card, but apparently I'm not good enough for any of the ones they offered....X3

Ahhh....Multi-equip items would be awesome... If nothing else, at least for the EIs. But then they wouldn't make a butt load of money. -Eye roll.-
I've been lurking around Roliana a bit. But unfortunately, I think I'll stay at least a year or so more here...  

Nissa chan

Desirable Cat

Keiko Dreams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:14 am
What bugs me with the whole halo raffle is that they've essentially created a sweepstakes where you have to pay money for tickets. That's gambling - and it's illegal in the US. There has to be a way for people to get "tickets" without paying for it to be legal, and they didn't bother to do that.

Of course it also bugs me that they trotted out the "discovered in a deleted account" story. How does that lie fit in with the Gaia story? It doesn't. And it's total nonsense. The halo is a database entry & some pixels - that's all it is. Deleted accounts have nothing to do with it.  
Let's Work Together, Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff