Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
What gender are transsexuals? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What gender does being transsexual make you?
They are what they are physically born as, not what they think they are in their heads.
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
They are who they say or feel they are.
85%
 85%  [ 145 ]
Depends on if they are pre-op post op, or transitioning.
5%
 5%  [ 10 ]
Honestly I don't know, I haven't thought about it.
6%
 6%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 170

Adalyna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:49 pm
I saw this topic on the regular forums ED a while back and thought I'd stick it here. I want to see what people here think and also revise the poll that was used. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on how to re word the poll heart  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:07 pm
I tend to think that people know themselves better than anyone else can. If someone feels they identify as a different gender than their biological sex, then I think it's better to give them the courtesy of respecting that.

ArtOfMe

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:22 pm
I have to agree with ArtOfMe, although I'm not really as knowledgeable about this as with homosexual people.

Just because you look like a bad person doesn't mean that you're a bad person.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:23 pm
If you are a male-to-female transsexual, then you are female. If you are a female-to-male transsexual, then you are male. Or you may identify as both or neither.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

le chevalier etoile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:50 pm
I just feel the need to stress, on behalf of my community. . .

Taeryyn
If you are a male-to-female transsexual, then you are female. If you are a female-to-male transsexual, then you are male. Or you may identify as both or neither.

Winner.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:36 am
Mental gender, like physical gender is determined and developed in the womb. Transexuality occurs when the brain of the fetus develops as one gender, while the body of the fetus develops as another. this is similar to the development of male-female fraternal twins, only it is occuring within one fetus.
Transexuals are who they say they are.  

liebe und herz-schmerz

loringdragon

1,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:23 pm
liebe und herz-schmerz
Mental gender, like physical gender is determined and developed in the womb. Transexuality occurs when the brain of the fetus develops as one gender, while the body of the fetus develops as another. this is similar to the development of male-female fraternal twins, only it is occuring within one fetus.
Transexuals are who they say they are.

Long description but... ABSOLUTELY! I agree 150%! People know more about themselves than anyone else does, so they know if they are female or male!  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:04 am
Taeryyn

This.  

xMortui vivos docent

Beloved Giver

6,800 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200

Puppetmaster Drocell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:50 pm
True gender is what the person defines themselves as and feels more comfortable with, regardless what physical body they may have.

It's the same with orientation...Just because you're female, that doesn't mean you're automatically going to be attracted to men, or women for that matter. It all depends on how you yourself identify and feel. The mental state of a person is what is important. -smiles softly.- Not sex organs.
My partner helped me realize that.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:15 pm
Something that hasn't been brought up is that, while sex is pretty binary, gender is not. The binary idea of gender is a Western (and several other cultures) creation. Whereas, gender in fact is a spectrum. And it's my belief that it's a personal journey to discover where you are on that spectrum.  

iMito
Vice Captain

witch thimbles

Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 pm
• • • • • • • • • • • •

Seeing as I identify as trans, I figured I'd post my thoughts.

Gender is determined by how they identify.

Sex is determined by whether they are pre or post-op.

• • • • • • • • • • • •

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 pm
Gender is a social representation of ones sex (Gender criticism in literature) Gender has nothing to do with ones sex but rather how one acts or is viewed socially. So if you look female and act female, you are, at least to the extent of your physical self. Basically, gender is the representation of a sex, not the actual sex itself  

oO-Damon-Oo

ShyamNekojin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Gender is between the ears. Sex is between the legs  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:16 pm
A person is the gender that they personally say they are. Period.

I'd be interested to know what the results of this poll were out-of-guild. Can you post up a link to the original poll so I could see their responses?  

Ricaah Fangmyre

ravenkitty776

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:04 pm
I couldn't have said it better than Taeryyn. Right on the mark. :3  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items