Reply ::Gamer Chicks::
Outdated PS2?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What should I do? D:
  Deal with it!
  Go buy a new one. (sure, I have all the money in the world. <_< )
  Go buy a slim one! 8DDDD
View Results

Lockany

Cluttered Fatcat

9,250 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Market Browser 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:14 am
I currently have a second-hand (my old one was stolen @_@) PS2, it makes a very loud sound, so I'm assuming it's probably older than the one I had before. It still works fine for me and everything, but when my friend wants to try her new Persona 3 and 4, the "Start" button just wouldn't work. The button works fine for all my other games, I think my newest game is .hack//G.U. vol.3, that came out around 2007 or whatnot.

Is it time to get a new PS2? Since I've heard the new PS3s can't play PS2 games...and I don't have that kind of money for PS3. ._.;  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 pm
The best advice I can offer is to deal with it for now, and try to save up. Personally, I keep things until they are completely useless (and sometimes a little longer sweatdrop ). For example, my PS2 is kinda loud, no longer offers the vibrate function, and is very picky about what disks it's going to read and when. I like to call it a diva. xd
I'm not sure, but I think I heard about software you can download that will allow your PS3 to play PS2 games. We've done it with our 360, and (for that one, at least) you don't have to have it hooked up to the internet. Just copy it to a disk on your computer, and then pop that in. But, like I said, I'm not sure, so you might wanna ask someone else or look it up.
And, hey, think about it; if I'm right, and you start saving now, by the time your PS2 finally conks out completely, you probably will have enough for a PS3! xp  

Ruki XXIII

Tipsy Pieslinger

mysticneko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:55 pm
I would say go get a slim. They're $130 now. I know its alot but its cheaper than buying a PS3. Then when sony decides to get its a** in gear and make a patch for ps2 games, you'll be ready to buy one. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:11 am
... They DIDN'T make the PS3 compatible with PS2 games?

WTF were they THINKING?  

Dreamwhisper

11,125 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Ruki XXIII

Tipsy Pieslinger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:06 pm
Dreamwhisper

WTF were they THINKING?

That they'd later come out with a patch or something and milk more money out of people, I'm betting.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:07 pm
Pretty much. I guess its no different than xbox 360 only having limited backwards compatiblity.  

mysticneko

Caramel Kisses

Anxious Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 pm
Ruki XXIII
Dreamwhisper

WTF were they THINKING?

That they'd later come out with a patch or something and milk more money out of people, I'm betting.

the early models of the PS3 actually is compatible with PS2 games.
( I play PS2 games all the time on my cousin's.)
The newer models are not, and unfortunately there's no way to distinguish between them.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:31 pm
I suggest getting a slim PS2. You can get a decent deal if you go to GameStop. Yeah, Sony were idiots to not have the new PS3s backwards compatible.  

Syliece

DioxazinePlum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm
PS2s arent outdated since the PS3 can't play the old games. Therefore, we all still have need for the PS2!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:28 pm
If you want to take the chance, the ps3 is 80% backwards compatable now, or you can save bout 500 to get a used 60 gig ps3 that does do ps2 games. I am gonna be testing the new ones backwards compatablility this weekend since my dad decided he needed one for bluerays ( my samsung player takes to long to load, he says). So now my suggestion is for everyone to get a ps3 and for the games that don't work, I am sure they will make some type of download or something.  

Mels_Mels

meow15

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:34 pm
Honestly for you problem I would go and see if you can get a newer ps2 and if you cant, try seeing how much you can trade the one you have now in towards your new one.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:19 am
I'd say get a new PS2. I still have mine, and it gets plenty of use. I think PS2s are only $100 bucks now anyways. If the new PS3 models aren't backwards compatible it'll be worth it to buy a new PS2  

Coreander - The Crabbit

Bottle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:02 pm
I didn't know that some PS3s didn't have backwards capabilities. o.O; Luckily mine does, but... that just makes me want to bomb Sony headquarters. My PS3 actually conked out right after the warranty expired, and it cost me almost 300 dollars to get it fixed. >.<

Though it seems that everyone's PS2 starts acting funny after awhile, I've yet to see one just die like these new generation consoles do. I have an old beast of a PS2, and it still runs like the day I bought it! <3

I'd definitely suggest you look into trading in your old PS2, and buying another. I don't have any legit references, but I think the slim PS2s are less reliable than their large counterparts. Well, unless you don't care to play Persona. XD If you do get another PS2, it'll probably just have a problem that your PS2 doesn't have, and then you're in another predicament! Hm..  
::Gamer Chicks::

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games