Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
Chatspeak in foreign languages >___> Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chatspeak?
  No, i do not like when people butcher their languages.
  Yes, it's fine and part of culture.
  I have not yet made an opinion.
View Results

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:10 pm
I hate chatspeak, hate it with a burning passion.

I thought to make this since a Spanish speaker has been leaving me comments using chatspeak, ignoring that i ASKED them not to.

Here is an example:

Quote:
olii aw tu profile
bn lindii
hzhzh me paze spero noandar moelstando xdd

Some of it i can read, some of it i cant.

There are two stances on this, mine and another someone brought up...
Saying that it's 'culture' and you should know it to really communicate.

* What is your stance on 'chatspeak' in general?
* If someone uses it excessively, do you understand it all?
* Do you think it's a good thing to understand and be able to type in?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:14 am
I think it depends partly on the kind of chatspeak you use or refer to... I rather hate teenagers' chatspeak, which is the most dominant, and I'm not even trying to understand it when someone is speaking to me that way (I either tell them I cannot understand them or ignore), for example.
Nevertheless, when I was in high school my class has developed a very unique (and funny) chatspeak of its own, that neither of the students could help but adopting it.

I think that chatspeak can't be a bad thing, unless you are forcing it over someone who doesn't like it or can't understand it. For example, I won't start speaking to you with my class' chatspeak because I know you wouldn't get it, but I will speak to you in a certain chatspeak that you can understand (if you are fine with it, of course). Pretty much like a private joke, that is. XP  

Einllikoach

JeSuisMustapha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am
Haha, I have a hard time with English chatspeak gonk But I have run across some French stuff too. It bothers me.

koi29- Quoi de neuf? = What's new?

mdr- mort de rire = Death from laughing (French "lol")  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:03 pm
Norwegian:

Jg- Jeg(I)
dg- Deg (You-object)
Oxo: Også (Also/too/as well)
pm- Privat melding (Private Message)
d- det (it-neuter)
g9-geni (genius)
ik-ikke (not)
prt- Party (Party duh!)
r -er (are/is form of to be)
sik- Skal i kveld (shall/will tonight)
td-til deg (for/to you)
thx-takk (thank you)
z-sett (seen)
qlt-kult (cool)
gid- glad i deg (I love you)
å-og (and)
7k-syk (ill/sick)
mld-melding (message)
180-trenger mer informasjon (need more information)

I also hate chat speak with a passion and refuse to use it. The only one I use is lol and that's it.

419scambaiterKoko

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm
The only time I use chatspeak is in text messages where I want to get my message across quickly and not use up so much space so that I can type more. If you're using it on the internet, things like "lol" and "wtf" are okay with me, but only as long as it isn't overdone. Otherwise it's just annoying...Private jokes in chatspeak are okay.

I can understand it fine, but it's just annoying trying to decipher it all, and it takes too long for me to process.

Personally I think it just dumbs down whatever you're trying to write, I mean how intelligent does this look and sound? stare
"omg r u srs???? y d0s h3 want dat?"

----

I looked over the Norwegian chatspeak on Koko.Dk's post and, to my surprise, could understand some of it. eek

I don't know too much about chatspeak in other langauges, but I think that sometimes in Hungarian they use "ß" instead of typing out a certain digraph, don't remember which though....I believe they do this in Switzerland too.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:08 pm
XWraith_LordX

I don't think I will ever manage to understand this. neutral  

Einllikoach

PiercedPixie2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:13 pm
Einllikoach
XWraith_LordX

You dont have to, think of it as a guide.

If someone is typing like that, they are not worth your time smile  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:29 pm
PiercedPixie2
Einllikoach
XWraith_LordX

You dont have to, think of it as a guide.

If someone is typing like that, they are not worth your time smile
Typing that awful piece of text makes me feel ashamed. gonk  

Henneth Annun

Daionii

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 am
Oh my lord it's horrible!
I can forgive controlled use of abbreviations like 'lol', 'wtf', 'omg' etc but when it comes to replacing letters with numbers and so on, it's just annoying >.<'
I find it interesting to know how it works in other languages. I wouldn't personally use it, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 am
Daionii
I can forgive controlled use of abbreviations like 'lol', 'wtf', 'omg' etc but when it comes to replacing letters with numbers and so on, it's just annoying >.<'
I find it interesting to know how it works in other languages. I wouldn't personally use it, though.

Does Welsh have chatspeak too? XD  

PiercedPixie2

Daionii

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:02 pm
PiercedPixie2
Daionii

Does Welsh have chatspeak too? XD

I guess XD;
Nothing special though.
As far as I know::

t - Ti (you)
d - Di (you)
chd - Chdi (you)
v - Fi (me)
d - dy (your)
n - yn (verb partical, part of 'to be')
r - yr (the)
@ - at (to)

*yawn*

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:13 am
I almost never use chat speak, but sometimes in AIM conversations I will go "LOL" if something's really funny, and "hahahaha" doesn't cut it. razz

Japanese uses a lot of chatspeak.. the one you'll probably see the most is "w." It stands for "warau" (笑) which means you're laughing. Basically, it's like "lol." Maybe because it's just one letter so it's easy to type, but generally you'll see long strings of it, like "wwwwww."

I think it's pretty amusing. xD But I hate when people in English keep everything lowercase and/or replace numbers for letters, because it's not for convenience...

When instant messaging or something, I guess chat speak is all right (although I never use it) but on forums like gaia it drives me nuts.  

TurtIe Tracks

Ge-may

3,350 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:27 am
Personally i think chat speak is stupid. I don't see the point of spelling something wrong.
For example the word 'what' is made into 'wat' in chat speak. What is the point of missing out the 'h'. gonk It doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 am
I know what you mean. It annoys me so much. Aside from things like wtf, lol, rofl, etc. I cannot stand chat speak.
Especially in spanish:
q=que (what)
ii= y (and)
porq= porque (why)
bn= bien (well, as in "I am doing well")
ps= pues (well, as in "Well, what do we do next?")
toy= estoy (i am)
~= ñ (a letter in the spanish alphabet)

It.. irks me haha.  

kaynick007

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:55 pm
I had a friend who spoke fluent French and would use French chatspeak all the time. Needless to say, we fell outta communication, because he wouldn't type anything in standard French. It was hard for me to communicate. Not only that, but I felt like it was hindering my comprehension. Chatspeak isn't necessarily something you NEED in any language, so why try to understand it? It doesn't take much to type out whole words, rather than looking for, say, a 3 instead of an e. rolleyes  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff