9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Poll whore
9%
 9%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 41

WriterPrincess1984

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:21 pm
Anyone here into arts and crafts? I love scrapbooking myself. I've done some crochett. I made a poncho once, and a scarf but that's it. If anyone wants to see my layouts, I'd be happy to share them. I have to warn you, sometimes they come up real big and I don't know how to fix it.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 pm
My thing is drawing. I copy anime to the best of my ability. I don't trace, I just have the picture to one side and draw it freehand. I couldn't stand it when ppl gave me a hard time and insisted that I traced, so I decided to draw a few on cardboard. I was kinda impressed with myself. Most of them I started in shaprie and they came out great(one of them I did mess up on, frequently, there's water tape all over it). I really wish I had a scanner.  

Suede_Shoes

Kyreie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:35 am
I make wire jewellry and art.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 am
I do a bit of sewing (made my own costume this Halloween and hope to make more clothes and pillows), soon I'll be making my own soap and maybe some candles. I make my own ice cream and love to decorate cakes. That's an art too!  

Areashine

Interesting Lunatic

Faerie KatrinaZ
Crew

Sparkly Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:04 am
I used to sew some of my own clothes. Many moons ago, tried crocheting, macremae, candlemaking, papercrafting, simple doodling, rug hooking, cross-stitching/needlepointing, and knit a few winter hats. Do simple knitting of winter scarves now.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:19 am
I'm an electrician, I think its a form of art to make a house do what you want it to  

Draconian Pheonix

Karill

Tipsy Vampire

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 pm
3nodding That's an interesting perspective, Phoenix. Not what I would immediately think of as 'art', but it really makes sense.

I bounce around various crafts. At the moment, I'm in a cross-stitching mode, but I'm starting to get interested in making altered books.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:59 pm
Cross-stiching is fun, one of those things once you get your body to do reliabley you can let your mind wander and think of other things. I have been known to sow and do other random things. I've tried painting, tried carving and other wood-working craft's, tried a buncha stuff. Think about it tho, your walls are only about 4-1/2 inches thick, inside those 4-1/2 inches everything that makes a house do what a house is supposed to do has to fit inside there. That's not even including all the fun stuff you can have a house do, like turn on lights as you enter a room, have the stairs light up one at a time as you walk up them. Gees now a days I can have it so that when you open your front door, the entire house opens windows, moves blinds, warms the toilet seats, and puts on what music you were listening to in your car, all to be exactly what you wanted for whatever mood you happen to be in. If that's not art I don't know what is.  

Draconian Pheonix

ThisEmptySoul

Sarcastic Punk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:23 pm
Suede_Shoes
My thing is drawing. I copy anime to the best of my ability. I don't trace, I just have the picture to one side and draw it freehand. I couldn't stand it when ppl gave me a hard time and insisted that I traced, so I decided to draw a few on cardboard. I was kinda impressed with myself. Most of them I started in shaprie and they came out great(one of them I did mess up on, frequently, there's water tape all over it). I really wish I had a scanner.
someone told me once that this was still considered tracing gonk I think they may have referred to it as "visual trace", and only considered a drawing "free hand" when it was done without being a direct copy of another picture.

Personally I think even if you're reproducing a picture instead of drawing something completely original, it still takes a lot of talent to do it right. Not just anyone can look at a drawing and be able to reproduce it accurately.

I draw in the anime/manga style which seems to be pretty common on gaia... I've also done some digital artwork like desktop wallpapers, signatures, and banners, but not recently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:24 pm
I like to build and fix things. Im a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Some of my friends go to the local all girl college, and random people on the campus are always calling me to fix various things for them, be it cars, scenery for their theatre class, book shelves. They know I enjoy doing it, and they dont want to, so they always call me. Add that to the fact that they always throw me a few dollars and a bottle of Hendricks Gin here and there, and its a good time.  

kingsuicide

DearKoyangi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:29 pm
I used to scrapbook a LOT! I haven't really done a lot of scrapbooking in the last few years, but I still enjoy it. Just haven't put the time and money into it. I do really enjoy taking photos, but I don't have the best camera for photogrophy. It's a goal to get a nice camera for that. Till then, I have a fairly nice digital.
I would like to take up knitting. I'll probably wait till my hubby deploys, and then begin the process of learning and beginning the experience. I'm sure it will be a good thing to keep me busy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:48 pm
That could be, but, when they accuse me of tracing, it's the paper over picture thing.  

Suede_Shoes

cheesy nipples

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:46 am
The only thing I'm into would be building and painting model kits. When I was younger I did a load of the Star Trek model ships.
I've not long finished painting and putting together a 1:1200 scale model of the Titanic.
I'm working on one of the RMS Victory. Over 100 parts to be painted, most of them no bigger than a pinhead. Brilliant.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:55 am
I used to crochet, and would like to do it again.

I use the first step as an engagement activity to teach proportions in middle school.
(using fingers)
We measure a specific amount of yarn, make the 'braid' and measure again, then speculate how much yarn we would need to make a necklace or a lanyard.  

Aegean_Kassan

Aegean_Kassan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:03 am
ThisEmptySoul
Suede_Shoes
someone told me once that this was still considered tracing gonk I think they may have referred to it as "visual trace", and only considered a drawing "free hand" when it was done without being a direct copy of another picture.

Personally I think even if you're reproducing a picture instead of drawing something completely original, it still takes a lot of talent to do it right. Not just anyone can look at a drawing and be able to reproduce it accurately.

I draw in the anime/manga style which seems to be pretty common on gaia... I've also done some digital artwork like desktop wallpapers, signatures, and banners, but not recently.

my daughter has Aura's Art Shoppe here on Gaia. When she first started, about 8, she started with a how to draw kittens book. She traced, then moved on to drawing while looking at the pictures, to drawing from her head. She is an adult now, and I would like to see her go back to drawing more natural things (wolves and such) but she likes drawing the anime style, and would like to make a living at it. If someone requests something specific, she still needs to look at a reference. The way to move on to doing it yourself is to practice with a picture, then from your head.  
Gaian Geezers Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff