Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
The New American Dream

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:48 am
Sorry guys, I've been planning to make a big thread for a over a week and haven't gotten around to it. This is a topic my philosophy professor introduced to us, and I thought it was very interesting.

Links!
A News Article
A Second Article
A Website

This new dream is more than a well-paying job and a large suburban house with a white picket fence and a family of father, mother, two kids, and a dog.
There is much more to self-fulfillment than being prosperous and having the opportunity of economic improvement.
Lately my mom has been encouraging my brother not to be too interested in art because considering the possible economic future, it won't pay well. Also, she thinks I should consider being a statistician, thinking that it's important somehow though all she can attribute to the job is making charts and things.
I wish I could show her these articles. . .

Edit: Considering as this guild is international, are "the American Dream" or the "New American Dream" prevalent ideas in other societies?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:03 pm
hmmmmm...

Time for a little change wink

I think it's better for the whole world, because the USA has a lot of cultural influence on other countries. I hope that helps other people to understand the really important things in life, which has never been a house, with a yard a fence and a car.

It's only something to keep you busy with working: Cars need fuel, fuel costs money, houses need a lot of maintenance, meaning lots of money again. So what are you forced to do? Working your a** off all your life long, just to keep up your lifestyle.  

Verderbnis
Crew

RubyLight

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:30 pm
I think our country should put alot more stock into the New American Dream. It meane more to people, because it is customized per person. I think we should be looking at all of the leaving factory jobs as an oppertunity to explore new options.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:41 pm
This comment makes a good point. Happiness is more then money, a car a house. There are lots of rich people that are miserable, poor people that are happy, and a whole mix of different circumstances that cause peopel to view life happy.

In America we capitolize in wealth and business instead of truely encouraging each other to pursue our dreams. It's important to support yourself, granted, but it's also important to pursue your dreams and your passions. If you don't whats the point of being different, talented, or even living?

I hope that America and the rest of the world realizes these things and embraces the talents and diversity in people as opposed to looking down on it. (as long as those talents and diverse thinking don't cause harm to others of course 3nodding )  

Midnight.Luna.Star

Bellalisa

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:17 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant
There is much more to self-fulfillment than being prosperous and having the opportunity of economic improvement.
Lately my mom has been encouraging my brother not to be too interested in art because considering the possible economic future, it won't pay well.

Ya, my mom's been like this all my life. I want to try scraping doing what I love (to see if it works out and i'm somewhat stable all around)

Then, if i'm not happy, I can find a more "practical job". I want to become a graphic designer first, and then go back to school about 10 years later to become an animator, since having more work and a better portfolio will more likely give me a job.  
The World Mosaic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games