Reply Instruments and Vocals
The Viola Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Todays Tomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:53 pm
I love playing the viola because it is very unique and has a clef that it shares with only one other instrument. Please tell me other people play the viola! There's so few and far between of us today. It makes me sad.

Oh!

Don't you hate it when people ask what a viola is? It makes me feel so insignificant next to the violins or cellos. Just saying...  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 pm
Im not a string player im an oboe player but I know what you mean. I cant tell you how many times i've been asked if my oboe is a clarinet. I'll even be asked what an oboe is. Sometimes people think im saying "elbow" xp It's depressing that instruments like the viola and oboe are not as well known. I think it takes a humble person sometimes to play these instruments.  

`Kel`
Captain

Anti_organic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:52 pm
Yes! I play too. When people think of strings they think of violin and when i say i play viola, no one knows what it is. It is a beautiful instrament and i wish people would see that.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:50 pm
Yay! Fellow violists!

To be perfectly honest, of course, I converted from the violin about a year after I started. Anyway, I also really like that we have our own unique clef:

Q: What's the difference between alto clef and Ancient Greek?
A: Some conductors actually read Ancient Greek.

The sound of the instrument is awesome, too. Sure, cellos can be rich, too, but violas are . . . well, they're violas! blaugh They're a lot more portable, anyway.

I actually have 'Viola!' written on my case and people still ask me if it's a violin! rolleyes  

Nadri

Zilaneera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:42 pm
Don't feel too bad. I always correct everyone when they say I play the "violin", but they never seem to get it right.

Lately I've taken to calling my viola a little cello when I have to explain what it is. It's much simpler to explain than calling it a "large violin" for very..not smart people! sweatdrop

But the viola is definitely my favorite. I started playing viola in 5th grade (it was my first string instrument...hooray for not starting on violin!) and I still love it. It's gotten me pretty far through high school; so much so that I attend an arts boarding school for it! Viola is life. heart  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:36 pm
I can't belive that i found a "group" of viola players!!!! i'm soooooo happy!!!!!!!! i've been playing 2 years and absoulutly love playing it.....it does get anoying when people ask what it is though.....so can i add some of you? I was wondering if anyone was from the centeral rejon in the u.s and knew what viola day was caz i've never gone but really want to.... heart heart heart cool cool  

queen katz

Hijacker45003

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:08 pm
Anti_organic
Yes! I play too. When people think of strings they think of violin and when i say i play viola, no one knows what it is. It is a beautiful instrament and i wish people would see that.

Viola is a beautiful instrument. The sound it produces is mezmerizing.  
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:30 pm
I play viola as well. I get so annoyed when people ask me or tell me to play something on my 'violin'. I correct them and make them state it again.

One time we went around and played to a group of younger kids and a little boy exclaime 'Thats a big violin!' about a bass. It was funny but it kinda hurt me to see that people don't know instruments.

I played flute in fourth grade but quite it because I didn't like it. When I moved to SC and joined te Junior High (6th-8th Grades) I started to play viola and fell in love. I've played it ever since. I can play the cello fairly well (I've been teaching myself since my teacher won't let me switch after playing so long- Four years...I don't want to switch though, I just want to learn). I can finger on a bass but can't read the music. I promised myself that I won't learn violin.

There is a very nice book called "The Musician's Daughter" by Susan Dunlap. I think that you guys/girls would like to read it.  

Hackneyed Fetus

Tipsy Bloodsucker

kochikochi kawaii

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:13 pm
i play too and yes it is very annoying when people ask what the difference is. so very different! people should be knowledgeable about these sorts of things!  
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm
Though I started with the violin, I love playing the viola! When people ask the difference between a violin and viola, I just tell them that the viola is obese and sounds prettier to the violin.

On occasion, I will tell them that the two instruments are the same size and violinist just have bigger heads. XD

Symphonic Tragedy

nanase12

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:59 am
Violas are the red-headed step children of the orchestra/ensamble. You're sandwiched between a sea of violins and a thick line of cellos, no one ever knows your name, and when something goes wrong, it's alwalys, ALWAYS, your fault. That's what you sign up for when you pick the viola! ^_^

I love the viola by the way. Both my cousin and older sister play/played it. (I'm a violin and my little sis plays cello)  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:35 pm
The viola is a small violin, right?  

flamingrice

sha__mean_aka_nice224

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:44 pm
i hate it when ppl ask wat is a viola
my aunt thought a viola is a cello X(  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 am
flamingrice
The viola is a small violin, right?

I really hope this guy wasn't serious.

I'm a violinist, but my friend and I often switch instruments (he's a violist). I love the viola's rich, dark tones, but I hate that it's not very soloistic. Plus, the clef makes reading music extra slow for me! I can rarely play viola in an orchestral setting, unless it's a very slow piece. xp  

Spainstateofmind

Lime Kiss

Versatile Lover

4,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:45 am
Half the time, people don't know the difference between a cello and a bass either. The violin is the famous one.

My sister's a violist. I tell her cruel viola jokes. Then she shows me up when we play duets.  
Instruments and Vocals

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff