Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)
the ten commandments for the modern user of magick

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baltazaar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:25 pm
Just as a little experiment, the ten commandments for the modern user... Comments would be appreciated .
1. Keep thy tradition/kinship / admiration/teachings to thyself, untill you are asked for help. Nothing is better then the other, they are just different ways in which we work.
2. Ask only if you have problems or questions. Answer only if you have solutions or like to discuss. be prepared to follow the advice.
3. Don't summon anything that is bigger then your head
4. inform yourself before you act about the possible consequences.
5. Be prepared to pay the price, and do it without bitching.
6. Work good, and with enough care for detail. Asking how to "unsummon a demon prince from the 87 level of hell" because you made the wrong rune in the circle can be embarassing...
7. Practice your banishing / protection/shielding skills to the point of perfection.
8. Work with the knowledge that not anybody might agree with your ways. Being exorcised by the local priest because you sacrificed your hamster on the train is quite ugly.
9. If your tradition wants you to go nekkid, check the ground first for critters, snakes, shards of broken glass and other ugly things, and only do it in a sensible surrounding. This will greatly reduce various health risks.
10 have an active social life, a sense of humor, exercise often, wear protective gear and have some form of ID and some change ready . If everything fails, this gets you out of a lot of trouble...

If you have anything to add, please, feel free.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 pm
I personally don't believe that there can be any set of commandments for any type of magic. There's so many different branches of new age and pagan religions that each come with multiple systems of magic. I'm merely saying that so many people practice different forms of magic.

On then other hand, I do agree with some of your said 'commandments'. Good work. smile  

zombanie

Underworld Priestess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:57 pm
I think there could be more than 10....
9 is my favorite!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:16 pm
m-m-monsters
I personally don't believe that there can be any set of commandments for any type of magic. There's so many different branches of new age and pagan religions that each come with multiple systems of magic. I'm merely saying that so many people practice different forms of magic.

On then other hand, I do agree with some of your said 'commandments'. Good work. smile

this.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

Satrevi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm
Chieftain Twilight
m-m-monsters

this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:20 am
Satrevi
Chieftain Twilight
m-m-monsters

this.

These aren't commands for how to do magic, they're for interacting well with any and all people and practices in the magic community.

Good work.  

Eruandil

Distinct Raider

Mistreena

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:44 pm
arrow
Eruandil

These aren't commands for how to do magic, they're for interacting well with any and all people and practices in the magic community.

Good work.

Agreed. And they are some pretty good steps to follow. I would NOT be happy if a priest tried to exorcise me haha!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:53 am
I'd say replace the word commandment with 'common sense' and most practitioners visceral response would probably not be closed ears and frowny faces.  

Lovely-Avarice

Unforgiving Bloodsucker

7,700 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
The Library (Essays, Articles and Resources)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games