Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply Extended Discussion
Gay Marriage Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chumanz

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:20 pm
The very basic question: Should it be legalized?

What I think: Marrige and (I don't remember if this is what it's called>) being Joined(same sex couples) have the same rights as each other. Both sides in my opinion are being immature: Same-sex couples don't need to get married, they can be joined. And the church can easily just say "no" because of marrige supposively being a bond between a man and a woman, but they feel the need to say "no" becasue being homosexual is wrong.(of course they can also say "yes" too)
[not all these facts may be right, feel free to correct]

So, what do you all think??  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:54 pm
I think the government shouldn't have a say in who's to marry whom. It doesn't seem right to me that a government is able to do that, especially in America, when we claim to be a country that practices tolerance and "freedom of religion", when it is mostly religious morals that create restricting laws. It's just very hypocritical. So even if they're not married by the church, homosexual couples should be able to get married legally.  

Lady Liverbird

Gothic_Pheonix

600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:35 pm
Lady Liverbird
I think the government shouldn't have a say in who's to marry whom. It doesn't seem right to me that a government is able to do that, especially in America, when we claim to be a country that practices tolerance and "freedom of religion", when it is mostly religious morals that create restricting laws. It's just very hypocritical. So even if they're not married by the church, homosexual couples should be able to get married legally.

I agree  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:06 pm
I find it extremely hypocritical that we are supposedly the land of the free and we can do whatever we please but two people of the same gender who love each other can't get married. It's not fair. And it's not that big of a deal. If you don't like it, then don't practice it! The state has no right (of course, in my opinion) to say who can and can't get married.

I'm afraid I'll fall in love with a woman and will want to marry her, but I won't be able to. I should have the right to marry the person I love. I really hope Prop 8 gets overturned in California.  

DJ Psych

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:17 pm
Ha! There is no freedom on subjects such as this. It's only allowing homosexual/bisexual people to 'come out' or things such as that, although marriage is never an option. -.-

I really do hate how people can't change...it's not just the government.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:06 pm
Being against gay marriage when you're straight is like being against gay marriage in the US when you live in Europe.

It. Doesn't. Effect. You.  

SquirrelyBoy of Squirrels

Ninkitty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:59 pm
This is supposedly a "free" country. But when you think about it, just how free is it? When the government seems to be trying to control everything. Like who you marry or rather or not you can marry someone of the same gender.

What I think, is there isn't anything wrong with it. People, by nature, have their own beliefs and interests. There are differences everywhere. No matter where you go, you're bound to find something you disapprove of. But do we have ask ourselves "Isn't there someone else out there that does believe in this?" Apparently we don't, especially if there is so much hatred in the world.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:23 pm
People are just stupid. No common sense.  

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:48 pm
Same-sex marriage is legal here. biggrin

However, in the US, where most of you seem to be from, it's an issue because your country is so totally controlled by the religious right.

Civil unions are not the answer. There are countless dozens of rights and legal privileges that are afforded to married couples, but not to couples in a civil union.

I've yet to hear an argument that supports a prohibition on same-sex marriage that makes any sense in a modern, secular society.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 11:13 am
wonder if you get married to your bf/gf in another country will they let you back in the us....>>.....if they don't that's ******** up  

Niaxus

tamagokoro

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:53 pm
Shrade
wonder if you get married to your bf/gf in another country will they let you back in the us....>>.....if they don't that's ******** up

From what I understand (and I could be very wrong), the government won't recognize the marriage. I think the way it works is: Say you get married somewhere (like a state that legalized same-sex marriage), but then move somewhere it isn't legal. Then, while you are still technically married, the state doesn't have to give you the rights a married couple would get.
Or something like that.

On the main topic, I just think that... yeah, like people have already said, it doesn't even affect all these people against it. And just because they're against gayness for whatever reason doesn't mean the government should (or could, really) restrict the rights of gays.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:19 pm
I think that if two people, same sex or not, want to get married, or joined for life they should be able to. Its thier choice. Its thier life.. No one else should have a say... If it makes them happy, I mean whats the harm.? And who has the right to say two people who love each other cant stay together.?  

Xx_Cotton_Cady_xX

weswissa

4,250 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:34 pm
Lady Liverbird
It was also religious morals that created this country.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 am
weswissa
Lady Liverbird
It was also religious morals that created this country.

Actually, wasn't your country founded by people who left Europe in search of freedom from oppression?

Honest question. I'm not being snarky, I'm simply not American.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Team Harry FTW

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:05 pm
I think in the coming years it will be legal because each year it becomes more accepted by people.  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff