The fly on the wall [Nyonda, Ukweli, & Haja][Finished]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:41 pm
A lot of Nyonda's time was spent sleeping, recovering from wounds that she had suffered during the devastation of the earthquake. She liked to believe that things had gotten a little better and that she was recovering slowly. Yet she still slept restlessly, often with feverish dreams, and the line between reality and and unconscious wasn't always quite so clear. Today seemed to be one of the goods days, where she was conscious enough to remain awake and aware of her surroundings. However, as nice as it was to be of her own mind, consciousness brought with it the awareness of all the problems that plagued her and the pride around her.

A deep breath shuddered her frame, making her aware of every wound in her aching body though it quenched her lungs. The sorrow that was submerged beneath the darkness of sleep and dreams swept over her as she stared at the far wall of the cave, curling around her heart and bringing a prickle of tears to her eyes. Her sister was gone, one of her best friends, there for her her entire life. Umoja was missing, and without him, the pride stood upon shaky ground without a leader. For what sort of leader was she? Broken, wounded, and even if she was not, what use could she have been in Umoja's place? There were so many things to worry about, so many things to be concerned over, and here she lay, unable to be of any use - more of a burden than anything. She could do nothing for herself - not hunt, not even get herself to a watering hole. With scarce game, here she was, like an overgrown cub, lying in a den and waiting for mommy to bring her a meal.

She let out a despaired croak, her dry throat making it sound broken and scratchy. At the sound of her voice, there was a ruffle of feathers, and in an instant she felt a soft pressure against her shoulder. She let her eyes sweep down, all too aware of what she would see even before she truly let her eyes settle. Strong, determined Hakiki had leaned her smaller head against the female's shoulder, but for all of her determination, her eyes mirrored the sorrow and worry that shone so fiercely in Nyonda's own. The sight made the prickling sensation of tears grow stronger, and had she not feared jostling her healing wounds, she would have leaned her body to curl around the red-necked falcon. As it was, all she could do was lay her head upon her paws and stare back out towards the den entrance, dreaming that her condition was better than what it was so that she could do.. something. Anything.

"I know, Hakiki," she said hoarsely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:58 pm
Ukweli's movements were slow as he made his way to the cave where Nyonda lay recovering, the energy having been sapped from his recent encounter with Kitisho. It was sad, in a pitiful way, that he was already so taxed despite the fact that he had done nothing but run away. Though Ngao's bird companion had already returned to him to confirm her safety, the attack weighed heavily on the old lion's mind. Why would Kitisho do such a thing? What were his motives? Was it a planned attack or had the large lion simply grown bored? It seemed too precise to be merely boredom, a thought that was incredibly distressing. This was why he had made a beeline for Nyonda, eager to speak with her about what had happened. She would provide him with her own opinions on the matter, not to mention this attack could be a warning. The next attack could be directed towards her.

Knowing that her companion was deep in thought, Viza sat alert on his back, unwilling to let them be caught off guard again. There would be no Ngao to save Ukweli from an attack this time. The old lion already owed the Captain his life. "We're here," she said, when they arrived together. Ukweli slowed his quickened pace to his usual shamble in an effort to conserve his energy for speaking with Nyonda. She would, no doubt, have many questions to ask him and he wanted to answer them as best he could.

"Nyonda?" He called softly, as he ducked his head a little to see inside the cave. Was she awake? The answer was clear enough as he met her stare, and the old lion made his way inside the cave. Viza hopped off of his back to settle on the ground, sharp eyes still darting around warily. She had still not recovered from the sight of a large lion jumping for her and her companion. Ukweli's eyes swept across Nyonda's healing injuries as he settled himself with a sigh, inwardly hoping he would not stress the lioness too much with his news. "I hope I did not wake you. May I speak with you for a moment?"

Chibi Sheepcat

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:23 pm
Hakiki was the first to notice the arrival of the pair outside, before the old Seer even ducked his head inside the entrance. Her senses were not dulled by any injury or by being cooped up inside the cave for days on end, for she still took breaks to fly what little she could outside. With a ruffle of feathers, she had simply pecked lightly at the shoulder of her bonded. "We have visitors, Nyonda," she had said softly, her voice stronger than one would have guess with the look in her eyes, before she fluttered to the side to settle against the wall of the cave. She wasn't much for being in the limelight when Nyonda had company and she couldn't offer much comfort to the lioness besides, not when she had to worry constantly about harming her fragile form.

The lioness only had moments after Hakiki spoke before the familiar face of the older lion was peering through the open mouth of the den. She let her eyes flicker after her companion, her heart aching with the same loss, the same pain, though she could say nothing of comfort for the falcon. She simply smiled sadly after her, in what she hoped was at least a sympathetic gesture, before she let her attention flee back to the matter at hand. "Ukweli," she said softly, pathetically. A look of irritation flashed over her face as she cleared her throat, trying vainly to make her voice more firm. She spent a lot of time in silence, except for the few visits from Ukweli, Ngao, or Hifadhi, for even Hakiki spoke little in this time of mourning.

"No, no," she said, shaking her head lightly as she pulled it up from her paws, her body shifting into as much of an upright position as she dared. She still relaxed, laying down, but managed to look alert and rigid. She could see in his face that something troubled him and though that should not have surprised her in these times, she couldn't help but think that there was something particularly problematic that he needed to speak with her of now. "I was not sleeping," she assured him, eyes narrowing upon him worriedly. "Please, I am all ears."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:38 pm
"Do not strain yourself, please." What a pair they made. An ancient lion long past his prime and a recovering lioness. If either of them were every trapped here in this cave the result would be nothing short of horrible. Ukweli did not wish to think about such things. If Nyonda were ever in trouble, surely Hakiki would find a way to get help. He had to put faith in the bird who was so utterly devoted to her companion. She would find a way if worst came to worst, and if she could not, Ukweli prayed he would see the danger before it was too late. Though the cubs were so far safely out of harm's way, there were still many members of the pride the needed protection from the dangerous future. The old lion had to have faith in his abilities and the strength in those around him. It was all he had left.

The old lion dipped his head to her when she told him she was listening, wishing that he did not have to be the bearer of bad news. But to say such a thing sounded pathetic even to his own ears, and so he kept the thought to himself. "A vision came to me yesterday, a worrisome one that made me fear for the safety of one of the cubs in the pride. The exact extent of the damage was unclear to me at the time, so I sought council with Ngao and Hifadhi. Hifadhi and the cubs are now safely on their way to the other side of the valley, where I hope they shall be safe for whatever danger might have befallen them." He paused for a moment, weighing his words carefully. Working Nyonda up into a frenzy was not something he wished to do. He simply needed to keep her informed and wary, and thus he would have to be cautious with what he said. She needed a restful sleep more than anyone in the pride, and he would not have two lionesses up with worry every night. Having Ngao now on constant alert was enough.

"It seems, however, that someone has other plans. For reasons I have not seen nor figured out on my own, I was attacked this morning on my way down by the lion Kitisho." He could not help the tightening in his throat at the words, though Ukweli was doing his best to tell the story as if it had not happened to him just this morning. "Ngao was much sharper than I, and I was lucky. She has made it out alive, though not without injuries. I do not know if this was a deliberate attack on myself, or if Kitisho was simply out of control. I fear, however, that it was not the latter." Ukweli watched Nyonda now, to gauge her reaction.

Chibi Sheepcat

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:09 pm
Nyonda could only smile weakly at Ukweli's request, though she did not relax back into her first, lazing position. She was weak, so weak, and she had to take advantage of anything that would make her seem a little more composed right now - a little strain she could handle for the sake of appearing collected and composed. She only dipped her head at him in an attempt to coerce him into speaking, so that she would know what the damage was now; had someone else been injured? She didn't know what to expect, she was far too cut off from the pride to know what happened on a daily basis, and she knew they went to great lengths to keep her from being stressed. That angered her at times - not because they did it, but because she needed them to do it. It was a weakness and she was not fond of being weak.

She sat patiently as he began to explain his vision, as she was quite familiar with him speaking of such things. It was the subject of the vision that caused the tension to snake icy fingers up over her body. She wondered how much of this he had cushioned for her sake, to keep her from overreacting. Surely, if it was enough to make him send Hifadhi to the other side of the valley, it must mean something dangerous? "That sounds as if it was the best course of action," she said hoarsely, and for once, it was not her own scratchy, dry throat that produced that reaction. Ufunuo and Ubele could be in danger, terrible danger, and she was in no condition to even offer her protection. An intense feeling of true horror overwhelmed her then as she realized that the two cubs she loved more than any in the world could be hurt and she would be truly powerless to stop it, no help when they needed her the most. Her throat tightened, but she forced the prickling sensation of tears away and looked back into his face after a moment of deep breathing. She couldn't afford to panic.

Panic was soon replaced with a mixed feeling of shock and what could most easily be described as rage. After discussions with Ngao, Hifadhi, and Ukweli all three, she had had her growing suspicions of the newcomers. She had never met them herself, she didn't know them, but something didn't settle right with her. The news of this, this treachery, twisted that unsettled feeling into a sharp pain so intense that it nearly overwhelmed the true pain radiating from the wounds she had sustained from the earthquake. "An attack?" she hissed, her body tensing to quickly that it caused her to jerk, sending a flurry of pain up her side. One front claw dug into the stone floor beneath her as she clenched her teeth, immediately regretting her hot-headed foolishness. She took a long, deep breath, though her voice was still shaky as she glanced back up at him. "The circumstances seem a little too convenient to be blamed on blood lust, Ukweli."

There was a flutter near her, and she felt a hesitant lean against her shoulder. Hakiki was just as unsettled as Nyonda, but Hakiki was not the one at risk of injury herself from getting worked up. It was meant to be a calming gesture, and though it helped, Nyonda didn't untense her muscles.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:31 pm
"I can only hope so," Ukweli murmured to her first comment, as it was something he hoped for as well. Sending Hifadhi off had not been something he took lightly. Though often their opinions differed on many things, Hifadhi was one of his old friends, not to mention the only lion who was practically as old as he was. That in itself helped their friendship, which had remained strong over the years as the pair watched the pride grow up around them. The old lion had wished he did not have to send Hifadhi away, but there had been no choice. They had someone who could step up for him should the unspeakable happen. Ukweli was not in the same position. He had found no seer to take his place yet, and with the two other pridal seers gone his options for a replacement grew slimmer as he grew older. He could not allow the pride to be put in such a position, not when the threat seemed to come from other lions. It was too risky. In this time of desperation sacrifices had to be made. Still, it did not make being the one to make the decisions about what to sacrifice any easier. Ukweli hoped with all of his heart that Hifadhi would return safely, cubs in tow.

The expression on her face reminded Ukweli that he had perhaps been a little too callous when bringing up the cubs, forgetting that Nyonda would care about them deeply. She seemed to be able to hold herself together, which made the old lion feel a little better. He would have a hard time forgiving himself if Nyonda's cubs returned harmed in any way from their little "day trip." Her hissed words made him tense, and he tried hard not to frown at her. Nyonda would not appreciate being fathered by a lion old enough to be her great grandfather, nor did he need to point out the obvious. Ukweli settled instead for holding his tongue, knowing well that she was only aggravating her injuries with her temper. He would have to be more cautious with what he said. The seer did not wish to injure her further.

"I was unaware of my surroundings, too lost in thought to notice him. Still... I see no reason not to agree with you. I have not been able to shake a feeling of unease about them since my last vision, though I have yet to See them do anything that would suggest to me that they are our enemies. Ngao seemed to distrust them even before I brought it up." Ukweli was confident that she would know which "them" he spoke about. She had no doubt heard the news of the outsiders, and seemed to share Ngao's opinion of them. "What remains to be discussed is what to do. I am hesitant to leave you here unguarded if you become the next target."

Chibi Sheepcat

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 pm
She had to simply tell herself that Hifadhi would take care of the cubs, for on that matter she could do little. She understood the choice and had she been the one to make it, she was sure she wouldn't have chosen anyone else. Ngao was needed here, as was Ukweli, and he would have been useless if any attack had come at the cubs so far away from the pride regardless. Hifadhi was old, and yet, there was still so much skill left to the once-captain. She was sure that the fewer lions told, the better, and she could not find any other choice. No, what had been done was the most reasonable answer. She could only pray and hope that Hifadhi would keep them safe. She knew he would do his best, she had faith in him.

She worked hard to calm herself down from the tense position she had fallen into, aware of the sudden pain in all the injuries that decorated her slender form. She turned her eyes down to look at Hakiki, unsurprised that the falcon met her gaze. The same concern was echoed there, both for her and for the things that Nyonda had only now found out. As she let herself get lost in the connection between she and her companion for a moment, her eyes remained attuned to Ukweli, aware that he was speaking. "Ngao is sharp," she said slowly, softly, "I do not trust them either. If you felt uneasy about them after your vision, and now this, then there is a very good chance that they have not earned trust."

However, all the ease that had been seeping into her form instantly vanished at his next words, her head snapping around to look at him once more. She gritted her teeth from the pain it cause somewhere along her side, but pursued the thoughts that were instantly flashing through her mind. If she was given a guard, it would only further the pull of resources upon the pride. She was already being brought meals without being able to contribute to the hunting, being brought water at difficult lengths just to ensure she did not get sick. A guard meant one less hunter or one less source of strength should the need arise. She narrowed her eyes as she shook her head slowly but deliberately. "Ukweli, there is no need to guard me. If I were more important, more useful, more.. anything, that would be understandable." She leveled her gaze on him, emotions flaring in her eyes so quickly that picking out any single one would have been difficult. "You know as well as I do that it would be a ridiculous gesture and it would only put more strain on our thin resources." She didn't necessarily want to die, but she couldn't find it in her to be the source for more difficulty.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:12 pm
Trust was a fragile thing. Though Ukweli could not deny that there was a definite danger to his life, the seer had inwardly debated the worth of keeping the outsiders around. If they continued to let them stay here, it was very possible that the cubs, Nyonda, and he would all continue to be in danger. He was not absolutely sure that his visions could stop everything, especially if multiple things were to happen at once. There was only one Ngao, and now she was injured. That left Hisia, who could not be left near the cave, Haja and Elea. Elea was permanently injured, and while Ukweli was sure her mind was in tact it was physical strength that the pride needed. Haja was strong, but he doubted her skills as a warrior. There were not enough lionesses to protect everyone from attack. If the outsiders stayed, he would have to face the reality that someone was going to die. At the same time, sending them away would only further stress the pride's limited numbers. Even if they did send away only Kitisho and the witch, there was no guarantee that the outsiders remaining wouldn't still communicate with them. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place.

"Ngao is quite sharp. Hifadhi must be very proud," Ukweli agreed, as he moved cautiously into the next topic. "However, we need their strength to boost the hunting parties and provide for the pride. I doubt by removing the troublemakers we would solve the problem. No doubt, those within and those outside would still communicate with each other. Perhaps we would make it worse by putting our enemies far away from us." The saying 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer' was painfully true. "I suppose we must trust that they will be more cautious now that we are more aware." And hope that they didn't start attacking in groups. Though Ukweli knew that the interlopers had traveled together, how closely bonded they were was still up in the air. If they were merely traveling companions who simply tolerated each other then the pride was relatively safe. They would have a hard time co-coordinating a group attack if they barely got along. If they were closer, however... Ukweli shuddered inwardly at the thought. The situation just seemed to be getting worse and worse.

The old lion put on his best patient face when Nyonda resisted his idea, though the look was somewhat ruined by the underlying worry in his eyes. He should have known she would put up a fight at this one. "I have never questioned your usefulness nor your importance, and neither should you. If they seek to get rid of me, there is a good chance they will come for you next. Though I am no longer strong or fast, I can run. I will not allow you to become trapped here." His face had moved from patient to stern as he stared at her. It was his job to ensure the protection of the pride by watching the future. That didn't mean he couldn't set things up to avoid a threat he may not have seen yet.

Chibi Sheepcat

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:38 pm
"Are you sure we could even remove them if we tried, Ukweli?" she asked, her eyes settled on him seriously for a moment. She knew that the trust some of the lions had for the outsiders ran deep, especially after all their aid, and what could Ukweli truly do to make them see otherwise? Umoja was lost, she was injured, and though Ukweli was running the pride out of necessity, it would take more than just a command for the pride to turn upon those that Ukweli so graciously pointed out were needed. "You yourself see the help they give us and I'm sure the others do as well." She hated to admit it, but the pride was fragmented and broken - even her fevered mind could see this.

His following words only made that gut-wrenching feeling twist more painfully in the bowels of her body, her claws digging into the stone floor once more. The fact that they had openly attacked, or at least she presumed it was a 'we', as she honestly didn't think it would be any other way, made her all the more aware that they needed all the strength they had out with the pride - not here with her. She stared stubbornly up into Ukweli's face. Just as he knew she would fight him on this, she should have known he would try to stand his ground.

"I will not allow you to waste someone useful guarding me, Ukweli," she said, feeling the heat rising in her body as her anger grew. Not at him, but at herself, for being so useless that she actually had him considering giving her a guard. Had she not been injured, had she been healthy, she would have been fine alone. "I am only useful so long as I hide in this cave, so long as they don't know who I truly am, Ukweli. If they come here to finish me off, they will find out either way, and my purpose will be for nothing." She shook her head slowly, deliberately, gritting her teeth as her actions jostled her form a little more. "If I were truly Nyonda, if I truly was important to this pride, then perhaps I would consider letting you do this, but the cold hard truth is that I am not my sister." The pain of saying it aloud swelled up over her, and though she knew this was something they disliked speaking of, in case of eavesdroppers, she highly doubted that chance right now. "I am Ficha," she said quietly, "I am no heir's mate. There is no reason to guard a disguised lioness."

Her eyes drifted again to her sister's companion at her side, her companion now, the sadness welling in her eyes matching that of the falcon. As she had lost her bonded, so had Hakiki, and now they were bond together in their sorrow. "I am treated as if I were her, babied, catered to, and I allow that because I have to. I will put no more strain where our resources run thin."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:04 pm
"Of course they will. And they are no doubt charmed by Msiba, as I'm sure we all were in the beginning." Even now, Ukweli was having a hard time placing judgment on the male lion. He, like Hifadhi, would love to give anyone the benefit of the doubt in an effort to keep the peace. But with the way things were looking now, not to mention the unease his vision had brought with it, the old lion could not help but be untrusting of all the interlopers. Until Msiba proved himself to be worthy of their trust once again, he would unfortunately have to be lumped in with the rest of them. He was now a threat just like his traveling companions. "If we really needed them removed, it could be possible to convince the others of the necessity. Though Kitisho is both large and strong, I am sure that he frightens many of the lionesses despite his help. The others would be harder to get rid of without some sort of backlash from the pride."

So she was going to be stubborn about it. He has suspected as much. Ukweli did not wish to use his cub-lecturing voice on one so old as Nyonda, though he was hard pressed to keep the tone in check. It often came out of its own accord, and he did not wish to offend the cave-bound lioness any more than he wished to aggravate her wounds. She was extremely important to the survival of the pride and they needed to be on good terms with each other. "It would not be a waste, as the hunting parties are not required every hour," he countered, as firmly set in having a guard here as she was denying a need for one. The seer had opened his mouth to continue, however Nyonda cut him off with her tirade. He frowned when she started on a subject they had not spoken of since the beginning; however he could not keep the expression on his face for very long. There was no denying that the words were painful to the both of them, more so to her than him. But there was no denying the truth.

Ukweli gave a deep sigh, and closed his eyes in thought for a moment. He had not wished for her to take the place of Nyonda, but things had to be done in order to keep the pride functioning. He was going to have a very guilty conscious if he survived this in time for either Umoja to return (providing he was alive) or the heir to grow old enough to take the throne. When he had composed himself, the old lion opened his eyes, looking about as weary as he felt. "Ficha, I know that you suffer for the charade, however you must consider what it would look like to those on the outside of this cave. If word gets out that a lion is attacking pride members, whether they know it is Kitisho or not, the pride will expect to up the guard around the queen." He kept his voice soft as he spoke, almost as though even speaking her name would give away their secret to the whole pride. "Regardless, I will speak to Ngao about it. If I have a vision of your imminent danger, I would like it very much if you could tolerate a guard until the threat passes. I do not protect your life only because to those outside this cave you are their queen; I protect your life because you are a part of this pride." He fixed her with a stern gaze at the final words, as he rose to leave. If she had anything else to say, this was her time.

Chibi Sheepcat

Felyn

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:02 am
She clenched her teeth as she let his words wash over her, knowing all too well that he was right. As much as she hated all this extra effort spared for her, everything that they went through to conceal who she was, she knew it was for a good cause. Not only did it give the pride hope, it also would keep those 'other's at bay, if only for a little while. If they intended to keep up this charade, what would the pride think if no one protected Nyonda? It would look terrible and it would cause speculation on everyone's part. There were so many levels of things to consider in this, so many problems, so much stress. For the first time since Ukweli had walked in, Ficha felt the familiar exhaustion of over-exertion swelling up in her. It was pitiful to be so ridiculously tired after such little effort put forward, but she needed her rest, even her stubborn, fool self knew that.

"If it comes down to the pride realizing that lions are being attacked or if you have a vision of my immediate danger, I will give in to the guard," she said slowly, her eyes rising to meet the lion as he pushed himself to his feet. "I am realistic enough to know, however, that you can not realistically spare anyone unless it is absolutely necessary and I don't think it is right now. If it comes down to that, though, you have my word." She could be stubborn, but as much truth as there was in her words, so was there in his - she couldn't deny that.

Her eyelids were growing heavy from exhaustion, both from dealing with the sorrow that had been put off for so long and from having to realize the more immediate danger. There was so much to think about, but even now she could feel the familiar darkness rising up to meet her. At her side, she was vaguely aware of Hakiki stirring, burrowing herself closer for the sake of comfort. "I'll see you again soon, Ukweli," she murmured sleepily, laying her head back down upon her paws and turning it away from the light. As she succumbed to sleep, she wondered idly when her consciousness would allow her another reprieve like this one again. She only hoped there was better news awaiting her the next time she broke from her fevered dreams.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:44 pm
Haja shouldn't have been spying. She really shouldn't have. Her conscious, propriety, and good manners all were against it. And yet there was that niggling feeling of curiosity that Haja felt that always won out in the end. It was said that curiosity killed the cat, but so far Haja's luck had held out.

Truthfully, the day's venture had started out with good intentions. She, like the others of the pride, felt worry for Nyonda, and if not really to see her personally, Haja wanted to find out how she was doing. So off she went with her ever patient companion in tow.

It had appeared to be great luck that she found herself at Nyonda's cave just as Ukweli was going in to visit her. For a moment, she wanted to stop the old lion to inquire as to Nyonda's health. But then that voice in her brain told her that this might offer an even better opportunity for information. It wasn't technically spying.... More like, 'fulfilling her need to know about the well being of the pride by ... unconventional means.'

With that delightful justification in mind, Haja crept toward the cave's entrance and nestled herself where she could be within earshot. Nearby on a branch sat Maboya, an expression of weary patience on the fish eagle's face. Perhaps he should have said something to deter Haja. But seeing as how that had never worked before, and was likely to never work, it seemed a bit of a waste of breath. So there the two sat, one listening in and the other reluctantly playing lookout.

At first it was general inquiry after health, and though she was glad to hear Nyonda up and speaking, she was anxious to get to the important stuff. Ukweli wouldn't disturb Nyonda with anything less than important and OH YES! The old lion had had a vision! This was getting interesting!

It seemed the cubs might be in danger! They had been sent off with Hifadhi to the other side of the valley for safekeeping. So that's where they had gone off to. Haja scolded herself silently for not keeping up with things and then returned her attention to the words of the two nearby.

Ukweli had been attacked?! By Kitisho!! She had always wondered about him. You had to look out for the quiet ones. Often times, they're the ones not to be trusted. But if Kitisho had attacked Ukweli, and the old seer worried for Nyonda's safety, did that mean all of the rogues weren't to be trusted? Msiba was charming enough, but Mchawi had always worried her.

Haja was puzzled at Nyonda's response and listened carefully to see what Ukweli would say. It might make things more clear. It did. As Haja suspected, Ukweli really didn't trust the outsiders and wanted to watch over Nyonda.

Nyonda's words confused the spying lioness even further. She felt she was useless since she was injured. That was understandable, as Elea felt the same because of her leg. But to say she was unimportant?! How further for truth could she get? As mate to the heir, Nyonda was very pivotal to the pride!

Afterwards, Haja would find that she had forgotten Ukweli's reply to that statement. Much of everything that she had heard dwindled in comparison to what Nyonda said next. For once, Haja found herself speechless. Even when that speech was limited to her own head. Her thoughts sputtered as she worked furiously to get the cogs in her head to work again.

NYONDA WAS FICHA? Could that really be true?! It couldn't be! This had to be some sort of charade. But Ukweli's words confirmed it. Not only was he not surprised, he knew. He had helped planned it.

But why? Upon contemplation, the reasons would become clearer to Haja, but right now, the initial shock masked all reasoning. One question became prominent in her thoughts.

Did Hisia know? As Haja thought about it, she couldn't recall Hisia visiting her injured sister. Ukweli had kept everyone at bay, not wanting Nyonda's condition to worsen. It had all made so much sense at the time, how could they question it?

But if Hisia didn't know..... She had been mourning the loss of one sister, when she ought to be mourning the other. For that's all that could have happened. Ficha wouldn't have taken Nyonda's place unless the heir's mate had perished.

Haja sat, her mind reeling. She looked up at Maboya, wide eyes full of questions. Her bonded looked back, and though neither spoke a word, the glance itself said much. The two had a lot to think about. For now, though, they needed to move, as it seemed Ukweli was about to leave. Silently, Haja crept away to a safe distance, Maboya perched on her shoulder. Her pace slowed gradually, her mind too preoccupied to enforce continual movement.

"What should I do, Maboya?" Haja asked quietly, her voice oddly hoarse. She cleared her throat as she waited for a reply. The fish eagle shifted slightly and paused before speaking.

"It's quite a situation we have, Haja. I can't sugarcoat it. This could be devastating to the pride. And we don't know who all knows."

Haja nodded, a lump in her throat. Normally she rejoiced at news of this caliber. It wasn't often she learned of something this important. But a secret affair, a daring fight, and even the presence of a 'witch' didn't compare to the news she had heard. It occurred to her that this news might spell danger for her and the whole pride of the wrong person were to find out. One look at Maboya confirmed that he knew this as well. It was he who spoke next.

"We need to tread lightly. And we can't tell anyone of what we've heard."

The words were casually given, but the real meaning was implied. Maboya didn't want to patronize her, but he had to be sure Haja understood the dire consequences this would have if it were leaked. For once, Haja's silence on something meant possible life or death.

Normally, Haja would have felt affronted, but she merely agreed softly. Something was still troubling her.

"Mab, I think we have to tell Hisia. I know that this is really really dire, but she needs to know!! This is her sisters we're talking about, and if anyone can be trusted, it's her. I just can't live with the guilt of knowing this when she doesn't."

She waited for Maboya to scold her. Of course she wanted to immediately tell someone, he'd say. But he surprised her.

"You're right. If I were her, I'd want to know."

Haja nodded, biting her lip. This was deep water she found herself in, and she'd have to tread lightly if she didn't want to sink.

Basil Brett

[IC] Aka'mleli Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff