Welcome to Gaia! ::

-Art is Life- : The Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Drawing, Photography, Life, Arenas, Hangout 

Reply .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.//Main Forum//.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10 Steps to being a better artist Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

green_beginning

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:37 pm
When I started university four years ago, I remember the very first day of my life drawing class and the very first lesson.

These are things that helped me throughout my years as an art student.

If you can write your name, you can learn the technical aspect of fine art (perspective, anatomy, etc.). What you can't learn is creativity, integrity, motivation and passion. You'll need all of these to survive as an artist. And these are the best ways to show these traits.

Step 1. Draw. Always, always draw. If you don't use up a rainforest's worth of paper in a month, you're not drawing enough. Or if you want to spare the trees, invest in a tablet and either photoshop, painter, and/or open canvas.

Step 2. Talk. Talk about your art and what's important to you. If you just think about your ideas they won't go anywhere except around in circles in your head.

Step 3. Listen. Listen to critique. It's the most important thing you'll receive as an artist. If you get a critique, it's not something to take personally as a bad thing. When someone points out something wrong in your piece, it means it's effected them enough for them to look at it long enough to start pointing out the flaws.

Step 4. Critique. A great way to improve is to critique the art of others. Look at what you find good in other pieces and learn to have an eye for what you don't.

Step 5. Experiment. Always try new things. Don't worry about style because you won't really develop one until your mid twenties. And even then, still try new things. You can NEVER know too much.

Step 6. Persevere. If you've taken the last five to heart, then keep going and don't stop. Never put down your pencils and paint. If you think you're above the last five steps, then put your ego away or look into other career options because it's very unlikely you'll survive in the professional art world.

Step 7. Read and write. Writing is as important to an artist as drawing. Being able to express yourself verbally, explaining your ideas, and what you're trying to convey in a piece is integral to being an artist. Always practice your writing. Just because your English teacher doesn't give a crap about your bad spelling and grammar doesn't mean you shouldn't.

Step 8. Research. Know your history and not just stuff relating to art. You'd be amazed how often a random passage in some reference book can spark an idea. Educate yourself. See Step 5.

Step 9. Relax. This doesn't mean slack off and don't work. It means take your time and pace yourself. Improvement comes gradually. You can't push your limits until you know them. Work from what you know, and just keep going.

Step 10. Rinse, repeat. Just because you've done a step or two once doesn't mean you'll make it. You have to keep doing it. If art is easy, you're not working hard enough.

Step 11. ????

Step 12. Profit!

Edit: I fail at the copy pasta. Here's the rest!

Share some of your life lessons as an artist. Experiences that have both helped and hindered you and how you got through them.

My two cents? The sketch will always be better than the final outcome. Never lose your sketchbooks.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 am
*claps* :] That was wonderful. I strongly agree with what you said about educating yourself. Reading about history is like entering a fantasy land (sorta lol). I was once reading about the Aztecs and got so inspired afterwords.

What helps my drawing is collecting a bunch of stock and reference material from books and the internet. In a way it combines both what you said about educating yourself and trying new things. When you draw from someone else's work you're learning as well as trying something new. (Obviously though, you don't want to sell/advertise or call this work your own because that would be wrong. Using stock and pure reference material should only be used for practice.)  

Lavi Deux

green_beginning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:23 am
ReNeGAde Pixels
*claps* :] That was wonderful. I strongly agree with what you said about educating yourself. Reading about history is like entering a fantasy land (sorta lol). I was once reading about the Aztecs and got so inspired afterwords.

What helps my drawing is collecting a bunch of stock and reference material from books and the internet. In a way it combines both what you said about educating yourself and trying new things. When you draw from someone else's work you're learning as well as trying something new. (Obviously though, you don't want to sell/advertise or call this work your own because that would be wrong. Using stock and pure reference material should only be used for practice.)

You won't believe the number of people I've met who've said things along the lines of 'I don't need to know this, I'm going to be an artist!' and blow off their studies. The work I've seen come from these people is mediocre at best.

And reference is a wonderful thing. I have huge folders of photos. I also stock up on textures and patterns for my digital work because damn they come in handy. I don't have an issue with tracing or copying either. It's a learning process and everyone does it. But I agree, passing off a trace or copy as your own, even if you change a thing or two in it, is really damaging to one's integrity as an artist. It's like doing a paper; cite your references. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:55 am
This is such a great post. Since I'm still a beginner at drawing, I will really need to use these steps in order for me to better myself in the art world. Thank you for posting the steps!

I also get a lot of inspiration from the things I read, and then I want to draw them out. They don't turn out too fabulous, but I keep trying as much as I possibly can.

Symphonic Fairytale

green_beginning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:00 am
Symphonic Fairytale
This is such a great post. Since I'm still a beginner at drawing, I will really need to use these steps in order for me to better myself in the art world. Thank you for posting the steps!

I also get a lot of inspiration from the things I read, and then I want to draw them out. They don't turn out too fabulous, but I keep trying as much as I possibly can.

That's the best thing you can do is keep trying. Don't worry if you're not too good to start with, because everyone starts out pretty crappy. It's the drive to improve that will help you the most. Loosen up and don't worry about getting it perfect for now.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:10 am
I Love This List (you don't mind is I call it trhat right)!!

Okay I've have to start at step one then
Draw More...I can deal with that ^^
Create like you've never created Zukkyun!!

step 11 Whats with step 11?
It driving my nuts

What about math? XP do you have to learn that (good I Mean)?  

Zukkyun

green_beginning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:31 am
Zukkyun
I Love This List (you don't mind is I call it trhat right)!!

Okay I've have to start at step one then
Draw More...I can deal with that ^^
Create like you've never created Zukkyun!!

step 11 Whats with step 11?
It driving my nuts

What about math? XP do you have to learn that (good I Mean)?

Don't mind at all because that's exactly what it is.

Creativity is so important to an artist. But always make sure there's some thought going on inside the box before you try thinking outside of it.

Steps 11 and 12 are just jokes.

As for math... keep up on the basics like addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You may want to keep a book on geometry too, since I've found that helpful. But advance calculus? I doubt you'll see it again outside of academia unless, you know, you want to moonlight as a mathematician or physicist.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:34 am
12 is the most important rule of all! cause i say so-s!  

qotal

Celena Waters

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:16 am
Hmmm... step one... I draw almost everyday so I should have that part down... maybe drawing a little more though would be good.

Step seven is a little difficult for me. Lately I have been writing, as well as reading. But it's not a lot of reading. And my writing doesn't seem to improve. Of course, I'll keep working at it though!

Step eight History was always one of my worst subjects. But, when something interested me it usually inspired me. Like the Great Depression. That inspired me a lot.

Step four... it's hard to get critiques, because most of my friends don't say what's wrong with my art. And the majority of the people that look at my stuff on DA don't comment, and if they do they just say how great they think it is. I have one friend that critiques but what she says doesn't really help, because she doesn't say what I should fix she just says that she doesn't like the style or something.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:39 am
wow, those are very good and important steps to take.
ill have to keep those in mind so i can get better. smile  

Ozzysane

green_beginning

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:10 pm
Celena Waters
Hmmm... step one... I draw almost everyday so I should have that part down... maybe drawing a little more though would be good.

Step seven is a little difficult for me. Lately I have been writing, as well as reading. But it's not a lot of reading. And my writing doesn't seem to improve. Of course, I'll keep working at it though!

Step eight History was always one of my worst subjects. But, when something interested me it usually inspired me. Like the Great Depression. That inspired me a lot.

Step four... it's hard to get critiques, because most of my friends don't say what's wrong with my art. And the majority of the people that look at my stuff on DA don't comment, and if they do they just say how great they think it is. I have one friend that critiques but what she says doesn't really help, because she doesn't say what I should fix she just says that she doesn't like the style or something.

For seven, even chatting online is good practice. Take the time to type out full words, check your spelling, and if you're writing something long, read it aloud. People will not only take you a lot more seriously, you'll also develop a written 'voice'. Just like one's own style becomes their 'voice' in art, your written voice will be what distinguishes you.

I hear you on History being a tough subject. A lot of teachers just treat it like a timeline to be memorized and gloss over the good bits, like the fact that those dead people actually lived, breathed and did stuff. So much gets dulled down for the sake of being politically correct.

As for critiques, friends and DeviantArt aren't exactly the best place to get them. I've been on DeviantArt four years and in that time got two useful critiques on a piece.

If you have the time and money, look into any open figure drawing or art classes in your area. If that's not a viable option, sit down with an art teacher at school and see if he or she can give you a few nudges in the right direction. If all else fails, ConceptArt.org is a fantastic forum for professionals. They have tutorials and a mentor/mentoree section which you may want to look into. Keep in mind, these are pros. The critique is very advanced and it may not be helpful for someone just starting out or trying to get their bearings. It is worth a look though, because it shows how a lot of different artists work and develop their styles. I've only recently posted there after a couple years of lurking around the forums and looking at people's work.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:33 pm
green_beginning
Celena Waters

For seven, even chatting online is good practice. Take the time to type out full words, check your spelling, and if you're writing something long, read it aloud. People will not only take you a lot more seriously, you'll also develop a written 'voice'. Just like one's own style becomes their 'voice' in art, your written voice will be what distinguishes you.

I hear you on History being a tough subject. A lot of teachers just treat it like a timeline to be memorized and gloss over the good bits, like the fact that those dead people actually lived, breathed and did stuff. So much gets dulled down for the sake of being politically correct.

As for critiques, friends and DeviantArt aren't exactly the best place to get them. I've been on DeviantArt four years and in that time got two useful critiques on a piece.

If you have the time and money, look into any open figure drawing or art classes in your area. If that's not a viable option, sit down with an art teacher at school and see if he or she can give you a few nudges in the right direction. If all else fails, ConceptArt.org is a fantastic forum for professionals. They have tutorials and a mentor/mentoree section which you may want to look into. Keep in mind, these are pros. The critique is very advanced and it may not be helpful for someone just starting out or trying to get their bearings. It is worth a look though, because it shows how a lot of different artists work and develop their styles. I've only recently posted there after a couple years of lurking around the forums and looking at people's work.

Ah, well I chat online quite a bit so that's good. whee

Yeah, I like to learn about history on my own so that I can learn about the more interesting things.

Well, I don't really have the money to take any classes, and I've graduated from school so I guess that site will be best. I've been drawing for a very long time. I'll definitely check it out. Thank you very much! mrgreen  

Celena Waters

Arec_Adelaide

5,450 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:52 pm
Wow! Sounds helpful. I think my favorite is number 1. It made me laugh a little only because it's so true.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 am
Another thing to remember is to not be afraid to draw. Don't worry about messing up, it isn't a bad thing! When you mess up, what you did wrong will be registered in your brain to help avoid the same mistake next time. And NEVER (never ever ever) THROW YOUR ART AWAY! Doodles, screw-ups, everything should be kept. Even when you mess up big time don't draw an 'x' through it or crumple it up and throw it away. When you do that a part of your drawing spirit dies. Don't you have to admit everytime you do that you feel bad about your work? Don't do it! No matter how 'bad' it is there's always something good in it. You learn from it, too. When I screw something up in my sketchbook I hate it but the next day I look at it and say, "You know what? It isn't that bad". You find all the things you did RIGHT. Also, when you start a drawing it's best to finish it. Even if it's going not-so-great you should finish what you started.  

Lavi Deux

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.//Main Forum//.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games