Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
You Know You're Too Obsessed with Languages when... Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

fleur d-octobre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:26 am
Proudly_Jewish
*wants to add a few more*

...you pay tons of money to go to another country just because you want to hear what the language there sounds like.

...you get in trouble at school for doing extra French work in math class. domokun

...you listen to music in a language that you don't even understand, just because you think that language sounds pretty. domokun

That's funny; I get in trouble for doing German/French/Japanese in my math class ALL THE TIME. xDD

**You know you're obsessed when you don't have music on your iPod, you have audio educational tapes for just about every language.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 pm
shiro-nacht
[When you go to Coldstone (the ice cream parlor) and order their Germanschokoladekake (which has several umlauts), you pronounce it properly, only to have the workers stare at you and tell you it's pronounced "German Chocolate Cake" and you say, "Not when it's written that way, it's not. I just pronounced it correctly."

(Seriously happened to me. Do people just think the umlauts are there for decoration??)

Do you mean that they had the word "Germanschokoladekake" on their menu, but with umlauts, so you pronounced it the way it should be pronounced with the umlauts, so you were corrected because they actually had them there for decoration only?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Ozumou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:33 am
You know you are obsessed with langauges when you put on your Ipod Subliminal learning mp3's to help you learn a new langauge

AND

You take two weeks off to travel to the International Esperanto Youth congress in Vietnam and the Universal Congress of Esperantists in Japan.

I LEAVE IN 3 DAYS!!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:37 am
Ozumou

You take two weeks off to travel to the International Esperanto Youth congress in Vietnam and the Universal Congress of Esperantists in Japan.

I LEAVE IN 3 DAYS!!!

Have fun, you lucky pork! smile

You know you're obsessed when you sleep-talk is in the certain foreign language you're learning.

Kalathma

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:34 am
....when you only eat food from the countries that speak your language.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:16 pm
Koko.Dk
That one is really on the border between obsession and madness. xd

Though it wouldn't be too hard for me, I mostly eat American and Italian food anyway. Sometimes Chinese, but I don't speak Chinese...  

Nanoq
Crew

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:44 pm
Siocled
Koko.Dk
That one is really on the border between obsession and madness. xd

Though it wouldn't be too hard for me, I mostly eat American and Italian food anyway. Sometimes Chinese, but I don't speak Chinese...

My mom always made a lot of Italian food and we're Danish-Swedes and will jokingly say "You're not scandinavians your Italians" rofl
*AMERICAN* food >_< are you refering to fast food by any chance?
Or something like sandwiches, or American-style versions of international food?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:39 pm
Nearly all foods we eat here are at least some variation of foreign dishes. Hamburgers and hot dogs were both originally German, apple pies were European as well...

In fact, just about the only food I can think of that Americans came up with is the potato chip. And that was supposedly an accident.  

Hawk_McKrakken

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:57 pm
Yeah there really isn't any "true" American food.

....when you chew out all Xenophobs and put them in 4 language classes to teach them a lesson.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm
The Native Americans cry to find out that their food doesn't actually exist. sad  

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

419scambaiterKoko

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:45 pm
Eccentric Iconoclast
The Native Americans cry to find out that their food doesn't actually exist. sad

I wasn't refering to the natives rofl  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:06 am
I eat corn flakes almost everyday for breakfast and as for as I know, corn flakes are American.

We often eat potato, which is also American. Jonas Alstroemer brought it to Sweden during the 18th century. And I think wheat is American, too, but I'm not sure. These are not dishes themselves, but they are the basis of many dishes.

Chocolate is South American, I eat that sometimes as well. But I think it's more common to see me drinking it. razz  

Nanoq
Crew

Fool Fluffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:57 am
I dream in a foreign language.
The Foreign Languages Guild is the only guild that I'm a part of.
I read more books in foreign languages than I do in my native language.
I mutter at people in English when I'm angry. (I'm French, and people often doesn't understand what I'm saying >8B)
I get in trouble at school for doing extra English work in French class.
I listen to music in a language that I don't even understand, just because I think that language sounds pretty.

I love to have free days in order to search informations (languages, cultures, geography, history, religions, famous people etc.) on countries which I love.
And when I found, I print all my lucky finds and I stick them in my special books ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:06 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
shiro-nacht
[When you go to Coldstone (the ice cream parlor) and order their Germanschokoladekake (which has several umlauts), you pronounce it properly, only to have the workers stare at you and tell you it's pronounced "German Chocolate Cake" and you say, "Not when it's written that way, it's not. I just pronounced it correctly."

(Seriously happened to me. Do people just think the umlauts are there for decoration??)

Do you mean that they had the word "Germanschokoladekake" on their menu, but with umlauts, so you pronounced it the way it should be pronounced with the umlauts, so you were corrected because they actually had them there for decoration only?

ROTFLMAO, happened to me too, the one time I went there. My grandmother insisted that I really knew better than to pronounce it like German, and in turn, I insisted that whoever named the flavor should've spelled it properly.

If a family arguement has ever gone along the following lines:

Relative: I can't have a civil conversation with you anymore; you won't share your interests with anyone, it's like you're trying to make yourself a stranger to us!

Self: The fact that I've been yammering at you in didn't give you a hint?  

lili of the lamplight

koirat

Shirtless Dog

15,025 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Normal Everyday Human 50
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:31 am
Red August
ยท:And I think something you failed to realize is that the spelling is "Germanchokolatekake" and it is pronounced "German chocolate cake" because not a single word in there is German. It's just English with pseudo-German spelling.

There's also not a single umlaut in the entire name so where you're getting that from I have no idea.

That's why you got weird looks. The people working there aren't the idiots, they knew what they were talking about.

Actually, there are no umlauts in the post because my keyboard doesn't have any and I don't know how to put them in. Sorry if that confused you. xD

The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 69 70 71 72 73 74 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games