Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
You Know You're Too Obsessed with Languages when... Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Red August

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:12 am
Lawrencew
Jazzy-Devine
shiro-nacht
[b]When you go to Coldstone (the ice cream parlor) and order their Germanschokoladekake (which has several umlauts), you pronounce it properly, only to have the workers stare at you and tell you it's pronounced "German Chocolate Cake" and you say, "Not when it's written that way, it's not. I just pronounced it correctly."

(Seriously happened to me. Do people just think the umlauts are there for decoration??)

That sounds like something that would happen to me. Why do they pronaunce it wrong? O.o

-When you think in that language and can't remember a word and then you start to think that you've gone crazy, but then you remember that it's not your first language. domokun

-When you speak to your friends in your other language so much that they start to understand it. domokun

-When refuse to eat/wear/look at things that aren't from the counrty/countries that you are interested in. domokun

But is Germanschokoladekake even German?
·:Only the "Schokolade" part... and there's no umlauts.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:45 am
·:And I think something you failed to realize is that the spelling is "Germanchokolatekake" and it is pronounced "German chocolate cake" because not a single word in there is German. It's just English with pseudo-German spelling.

There's also not a single umlaut in the entire name so where you're getting that from I have no idea.

That's why you got weird looks. The people working there aren't the idiots, they knew what they were talking about.

Red August

Lawrencew
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:49 am
Is 'German Chocolate Cake'

'Deutsche Schokolade Kuchen'?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:52 am
Lawrencew
Is 'German Chocolate Cake'

'Deutsche Schokolade Kuchen'?
·:Well... you wouldn't have to have "German" on there and it's "der Schokoladenkuchen"
(again, no umlauts)

Red August

The_Brightest_Moon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:41 am
...you want to learn almost any langauge that you hear on the streets or in a movie just because you like the sound of it (that's me...)

...In French class (or other language) you go down the list of vocabulary and say them toyourfelf in Japanese (or the other language you're learning). guilty biggrin

...You try to learn so many that you get them mixed up and say French words in a Japanese sentence. (guilty again sweatdrop )  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:30 pm
"You translate english songs into the language you are learning"

I do that all day! :]  

9 0 n i n a

9 0 n i n a

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:30 pm
animehotaru19
...you want to learn almost any langauge that you hear on the streets or in a movie just because you like the sound of it (that's me...)

...In French class (or other language) you go down the list of vocabulary and say them toyourfelf in Japanese (or the other language you're learning). guilty biggrin

...You try to learn so many that you get them mixed up and say French words in a Japanese sentence. (guilty again sweatdrop )
one time my french teacher was talking to me and I answered her back in polish lol  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:03 am
When you can't be understood in your own native tongue and make sentences like:

Jeg would gjerne wa una kaffe hot sisplau desu.
or
Må io borrow boek y lapiz

When you use the same word order as the languages you studied  

419scambaiterKoko

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:21 am
Koko.Dk

or

Hehe... Germaspanglish. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:47 am
~Xo FoXiLiCiOuS oX~
Koko.Dk

or

Hehe... Germaspanglish. xd

Danonorwespancatalaitaliadutch is more like it.  

419scambaiterKoko

Red August

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:26 am
·:German + Spanish - Speutsch or Sperman... either way it sounds sick.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:00 am
Red August

agreed!  

419scambaiterKoko

The_Brightest_Moon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:50 pm
I HAVE MORE! (btw i did the ones i previously submitted and i guess domo means you did it but i forgot to put it)

...When your classmates come up to your vietnamese friend asking him to read japanese (stupid! VIETNAMESE IS NOT JAPANESE), and you jump and say 'I CAN I CAN!' and everyone stares at you sweatdrop domokun

...When you go to the library and after you get regular books you IMMEDIATELY go to the foreign language section hoping they got something new for your language, even though you've been looking for 2 months straight and they have nothing domokun

...When you go to the Library/foreign language section with your old CD player JUST so you can hear how other foreign languages sound (listening to those 'learn in your car!' CDs) domokun

...When you go to the Library and go to the foreign section (like, books in another language) and read the first cool book you find in a foreign language domokun

...When you bring a foreign language textbook as your normal reading book to school sweatdrop and you actually work in it. domokun

...When you take your favorite Japanese song (or whatever) in romaji and rewrite the whole thing in Hiragana and the kanji that you know (or some other language) domokun

...When you look over your friend's shoulder to watch her do German homework (Because it's an interesting language) domokun

...When you almost answer in a different language in French class

...When you get two completely different foreign languages mixed up and say Japanese words in a french sentence (or the languages that you're learning) sweatdrop domokun

of course there are more but those are the ones that i have done the most...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:01 pm
When, to annoy people, you say something then add "Or should I say" and say it again in another language, for as many languages as you know.

Sorta like:

"When's the pizza coming? Or should I say *in French*? Or should I say *in Spanish*" etc.

I would so do that if I could actually form complete sentences in any other language than English. Although, I do do it with single words.  

Pistil

m4r1p0s4

Eco-friendly Sex Symbol

10,750 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Market Browser 100
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:43 pm
Red August

rofl  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games