Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
You Know You're Too Obsessed with Languages when... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

frjienfydngbuib

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 6:42 pm
Amadastor
You know you've been in Latin AP (Advanced Placement = College level) too long when:

1. You don't know what you'd do without footnotes
2. You no longer use the sound 'vuh'
3. 'Gallia est omnia divisa in partes tres...' is your IM away Message.
4. You sleep with your copy of The Aeneid under your pillow
5. You can count the number of people in your class on your fingers without using your toes
6. You know more words for 'water' or 'sea' than verbs.
7. The choir director yells at your for pronouncing Church Latin 'properly'.
8. It's now about 'winning' anymore, it's about beating last year's score (Medusa Mythology exam, National Latin Exam, Certamen...)
9. At the end of a sentence verbs go.

1, 2, 3, 5, 6 (though a little exaggerated), 7, 8 and 9. guilty of I am.

eek rofl xp  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:44 pm
...you devote your entire life to the study of foreign languages. domokun  

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

GaijinGuy36

8,900 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:32 am
When you don't use your own language to swear when you're mad...instead, you cuss people out in Japanese. Which can be fun. If you insult someone who doesn't get it in the right tone, they'll never even know it's an insult. mrgreen As an example, the phrase 'Omae no ka-chan wa debeso' means 'Your mother's belly-button sticks out.' It's an insult much akin to saying to someone, 'Your mother wears surplus combat boots.' But given the right tone, they'll think you just complimented them. Yup, foreign languages are fun!!!!! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:04 am
Gaijin32
When you don't use your own language to swear when you're mad...instead, you cuss people out in Japanese. Which can be fun. If you insult someone who doesn't get it in the right tone, they'll never even know it's an insult. mrgreen As an example, the phrase 'Omae no ka-chan wa debeso' means 'Your mother's belly-button sticks out.' It's an insult much akin to saying to someone, 'Your mother wears surplus combat boots.' But given the right tone, they'll think you just complimented them. Yup, foreign languages are fun!!!!! mrgreen

Reminds me of the song "Just Friends" by Frickin' A - "Since I've been alone, I've learned how to cuss you out in Japanese..." xd

Wait, I know:

- when you pick out references to languages everywhere.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Rainmaria

Precious Sweetheart

8,350 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:28 am
I know! I know! When you accidentally call the teacher in another language! I've done that so many times it's not even funny...and when you listen to songs in other languages because they're pretty, then try to translate them into english while listening. I tried to read a comic book in spanish once...I had the internet spanish dictionary on until I gave up around page 15... sweatdrop (It was bedtime.)  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:48 am
-You wrote the How to learn a language book on Wikibooks
-You created an account on Wikibooks just so your edits to that book will be attributed to you

No, I didn't do either of these.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Kiniau

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:48 am
When you create your own language. Oops...  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:03 pm
..you have only been learning French for 3 years, and yet just the other day, somebody who speaks French as a mother language begged you for help with their French homework. domokun (I died of hapiness when this happened to me last night...)  

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

Nyikasz

Dapper Grabber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:52 am
...when you begin to *think* in the language you are learning whee  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:17 am
when your name is j.r.r. tolkien xd  

ruri-ruri

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:48 pm
...when foreign langauges are no longer foreign to you domokun  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:21 pm
I saw some similar things here, they are also quite funny, even though not language related. But many of you guys might find this interesting:
you know you're from...  

chocfudge
Crew

chocfudge
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:23 pm
chocfudge
I saw some similar things here, they are also quite funny, even though not language related. But many of you guys might find this interesting:
you know you're from...

Argh why don't the links show up?

edit-- Strange, that the links only show up when quoted...  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:51 pm
chocfudge
chocfudge
you know you're from...

Argh why don't the links show up?

edit-- Strange, that the links only show up when quoted...

I've saw them before. They're interesting. Anyone here go to Keepers Of Lists? We can submit a "Top ways to tell that you're obsessed with learning languages" list.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Eccentric Iconoclast
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:32 am
Proudly_Jewish
Eccentric Iconoclast
xXpunkpassionXx
...When you sleep-talk in another language...
...you literally tear your hair out when you can't remember a word in another language for the song you are writing...

Heh!
I was in San Francisco recently, Mom and I were staying in a youth hostel, and in the middle of the night our roommate started yelling in Polish...

LOL rofl I can imagine how much fun that must've been...

It was extremely amusing.  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces