Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply State of the Guild: Updated Frequently
State of the Guild, 6/6/08

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like these State of the Guild Reports?
  Yes
  No
View Results

seldrane
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm
Welcome to jjnb11, soulless 1259, bombers hockey, amh13 and yeah, i'm pretty sure I'm missing someone...

I want to thank Anzu Tenshi and Shattered Life particularly for their contributions - they haven't had much time but have been doing guild stuff when they have a moment.

Sekkole left a great response to one of my posts, I was really happy to hear from him.

Other than that, though, recruiting has been happening but a bit too slow. We really do need experts who are especially good at working with younger Gaians, and yes, I'm working on that (you're more than welcome to work on it too, btw). Just keep your eyes out for anyone you think would be perfect for us. I did hang around the Fashion and Style threads the other day and learned way more than any 30 year old male should know about "decora" and "scene." There are one or two very talented individuals there who would be great for this guild.

This is our first great debate in guild: What should be our age limit for younger members? I'm thinking we can have kids as young as 14, but have a subforum for anyone they want to bring in that's younger. I realize that many of you will ask "why have anyone that's younger at all," but remember, we have to work with what we're given. And Gaia is a young place, there's no doubt about that.

btw, as we're resolving this debate: if you are younger, and you see a topic you don't think is appropriate for you, just be smart and stay away from it. Really, adult issues aren't that much fun. Believe me, I'm a grown-up, I don't want to deal with these issues. Let the adult wellness and personal advice be (btw - should we create a subforum for that?).

We need a communications officer and someone officially in charge of recruiting. I've been doing both, quite obviously. I want to delegate these tasks. The comm officer job: once a week, just drop a comment or PM everyone in guild saying what's going on in guild and, more importantly, ask how everyone's doing. We can have 2 comm officers if you like.

I think head recruiter is self-explanatory.

Recruiting is everyone's job but I am really begging you, look for talent, look for the people that you're like "whoa" about. This guild can't thank you enough if you find the right people.

So please do get back to me about what subforums we should have and what jobs and tasks should be delegated and what our policy towards younger Gaians should be.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:23 pm
Thanks for the honorable mention, Seldrane! Personally, as far as age limit is concerned, I think a guild of all ages would be great. The young can learn from the older generation, and visa versa. They may be able to teach us older Gaian's what's 'in' nowadays (I just turned twenty, and fashion of the younger generation confuses me already!), and the older Gaian's can teach the younger kids what etiquette they should use, mannerisms, etc., and sort of prepare them for what adulthood is really like.

As far as subforums, no doubt there should be a hangout for the younger Gaians, and then one for older Gaians. The main page, I think, we should dedicate to different guides, such as manners online (which I am still working on; sorry for the delay!), fashion, health and so forth. To make a subforum for each would take a lot of extra work that I don't think needs to happen.

When it comes to tasks and jobs, I agree we need a Comm. officer and a head recruiter. I would volunteer for either position, but I have been so busy lately, I don't think I would be the right person for either. Then I think we should have a person to watch the threads for appropriate behavior, sort of like a thread officer. The last thing we need is inappropriate and useless threads being made that simply annoy people. I have run into too many of those to count! They would give out warnings, and report to the Captain if neccesary. Besides all that, plus the section Heads, like the expert of fashion, manners, etc., like we're looking for, I don't think there's much else to do. We could have someone create a mule, and be in charge of money if people donate to the guild.

Anzu_Tenshi

Chatty Phantom

8,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Megathread 100
  • Ultimate Player 200

ElenorTheDark

4,700 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 pm
Thank you for the mention. Honestly, I've been a bit out of it. I've been very busy at work and haven't had much time to get on the computer or even gaia.

On to the topic though. I believe that anyone that's mature enough should be allowed to go into any discussion. If they are mature enough to know their limits, then there's no reason not to let them have free run of the guild. Perhaps have some sort of survey so that you actually know how advanced they are for their age?

For that matter, there are many people on gaia that could be misleading othere about their age...so I suppose it really is up to the people to stay away from things that are too grown up for them.

Yet there is a certain merit in having a forum for younger and light hearted discussion of things that anyone can talk about. It would provide a nice, relaxed atmosphere...even for the elder members of the guild.

Anyhow, that is my two cents worth. If you agree or disagree, that is up to you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:47 pm
I am 14 and in no way am I mentally handicapped. Now, having said that, when you were 14 did you get into things that you didn't want to be in if no one forced you to? I guess what I mean is, if some kid dosen't want to be here they won't be. If they don't find this appealing they can quit.

Having said that I haven't come across any really young kids in here yet, and almost everyone on Gaia is 14 or under. If you want this guild to be sucessful I'd say you should accept a younger croud. If someone of their own will wants to be here, I think they should be able to. If they decide they don't like it, they can quit. If they get unruly or inappropriate, they can be banned. There's no reason anyone should be kicked out or not accepted because of their age.

I'm now assuming that if you had known I was 14 when you asked me to join, I wouldn't be here saying this. That just shows that different people have different levels of maturity. Yes some teenagers are wild, and some are stupid, others immature. But that dosen't mean all are. Being that known, and respecting you all as I do, I feel completly comfortable stating that I do not desire to be talked down to. No "Hayyz dood u b trip-n" for me thank you. You can whip out all legnths of your vocabulary or intellect on me, if I don't know something I have the common sence to google it.

I'll just step off of my soapbox now an apologize for being so deffensive. sweatdrop  

pens_hockey_lover
Crew

seldrane
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:25 pm
jjnb11
I am 14 and in no way am I mentally handicapped. Now, having said that, when you were 14 did you get into things that you didn't want to be in if no one forced you to? I guess what I mean is, if some kid dosen't want to be here they won't be. If they don't find this appealing they can quit.

Having said that I haven't come across any really young kids in here yet, and almost everyone on Gaia is 14 or under. If you want this guild to be sucessful I'd say you should accept a younger croud. If someone of their own will wants to be here, I think they should be able to. If they decide they don't like it, they can quit. If they get unruly or inappropriate, they can be banned. There's no reason anyone should be kicked out or not accepted because of their age.

I'm now assuming that if you had known I was 14 when you asked me to join, I wouldn't be here saying this. That just shows that different people have different levels of maturity. Yes some teenagers are wild, and some are stupid, others immature. But that dosen't mean all are. Being that known, and respecting you all as I do, I feel completly comfortable stating that I do not desire to be talked down to. No "Hayyz dood u b trip-n" for me thank you. You can whip out all legnths of your vocabulary or intellect on me, if I don't know something I have the common sence to google it.

I'll just step off of my soapbox now an apologize for being so deffensive. sweatdrop

I had a feeling you were pretty young when I asked you to join. Maturity actually isn't that much of an issue, esp. not the maturity of an individual. There are always individual exceptions, or groups of individuals that differ wildly from the majority.

This is about something called "age-appropriate." It's tricky to discuss but to give you an example: there are things I don't share with the undergraduates I teach because they'll misinterpret them. Even 18-19 year olds can't always be trusted when being dealt with in large numbers.

And remember: none of us are saying that younger members shouldn't be around. Gaia is young. The issue is how best to work with you guys, and give you the best environment. Again, I think that comes primarily down to getting the right experts, but it could also involve some tweaking of forums.

I think Sekkole is onto my line of reasoning: the best thing to do is tell you guys to be responsible for yourselves, and for you to know your limits, and if you make mistakes, oh well. But I'm open to plenty of ideas on this, and Anzu's got a powerful point when she implies that at different stages of life, you need different guides. That's absolutely true: a guide to my freshman year of high school would be very different from one about my junior year, even.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:00 am
seldrane
jjnb11

I had a feeling you were pretty young when I asked you to join. Maturity actually isn't that much of an issue, esp. not the maturity of an individual. There are always individual exceptions, or groups of individuals that differ wildly from the majority.

This is about something called "age-appropriate." It's tricky to discuss but to give you an example: there are things I don't share with the undergraduates I teach because they'll misinterpret them. Even 18-19 year olds can't always be trusted when being dealt with in large numbers.

And remember: none of us are saying that younger members shouldn't be around. Gaia is young. The issue is how best to work with you guys, and give you the best environment. Again, I think that comes primarily down to getting the right experts, but it could also involve some tweaking of forums.

I think Sekkole is onto my line of reasoning: the best thing to do is tell you guys to be responsible for yourselves, and for you to know your limits, and if you make mistakes, oh well. But I'm open to plenty of ideas on this, and Anzu's got a powerful point when she implies that at different stages of life, you need different guides. That's absolutely true: a guide to my freshman year of high school would be very different from one about my junior year, even.

Adressing your second point I must add that there is nothing I have come across here yet that isn't "age-appropriate." I also adressed this in saying that if someone isn't interested, they can leave, and if they're doing or saying inappropriate things they can be banned. I again apologize for going off.  

pens_hockey_lover
Crew

seldrane
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:17 am
Anzu_Tenshi
Thanks for the honorable mention, Seldrane! Personally, as far as age limit is concerned, I think a guild of all ages would be great. The young can learn from the older generation, and visa versa. They may be able to teach us older Gaian's what's 'in' nowadays (I just turned twenty, and fashion of the younger generation confuses me already!), and the older Gaian's can teach the younger kids what etiquette they should use, mannerisms, etc., and sort of prepare them for what adulthood is really like.

As far as subforums, no doubt there should be a hangout for the younger Gaians, and then one for older Gaians. The main page, I think, we should dedicate to different guides, such as manners online (which I am still working on; sorry for the delay!), fashion, health and so forth. To make a subforum for each would take a lot of extra work that I don't think needs to happen.

When it comes to tasks and jobs, I agree we need a Comm. officer and a head recruiter. I would volunteer for either position, but I have been so busy lately, I don't think I would be the right person for either. Then I think we should have a person to watch the threads for appropriate behavior, sort of like a thread officer. The last thing we need is inappropriate and useless threads being made that simply annoy people. I have run into too many of those to count! They would give out warnings, and report to the Captain if neccesary. Besides all that, plus the section Heads, like the expert of fashion, manners, etc., like we're looking for, I don't think there's much else to do. We could have someone create a mule, and be in charge of money if people donate to the guild.

I really like how you're addressing the idea of tasks that will/already have come up in some way.

I'll take charge of being "thread officer" for now, mainly b/c I'm liberal enough I don't care if I get shouted down in my own guild. That sounds stupid, I know, but every group of people on Gaia seems to find their own voice and it takes a bit of time. I notice that some people get a good rapport going on threads and that doesn't occur from all of them being strangers.

Money - hmm. Alright, I'll do it for now, but you're right, "Head of Finance" is kinda something every guild delegates.  
State of the Guild: Updated Frequently

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games