Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Most Obscure In Mythology Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click the dot =^-^=
  Click ME!
View Results

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:56 pm
Erebus is the embodiment of darkness and the underworld, according to the conversations I've had with Akherontis.

Erebus is the darkness, therefore he is darkness, so he also is shadow. Hope I helped.

This is SO an Akherontis thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:39 pm
XtheXhoboXduck
Erebus is the embodiment of darkness and the underworld, according to the conversations I've had with Akherontis.

Erebus is the darkness, therefore he is darkness, so he also is shadow. Hope I helped.

This is SO an Akherontis thing.

No, XtheXhoboXduck it's not. xd (Sarcasm)
Sorry I couldn't help it, so please don't be offended Akherontis. sweatdrop  

Kenamarin_Shukai

hilaire11

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:01 am
Wouldn't the obscure ones include Hestia? I mean, sure, we all know her - but there's practically no story about her! She, like, just exists there. xd And to think she's one of the 12 Olympians, too...  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:59 pm
hilaire11
Wouldn't the obscure ones include Hestia? I mean, sure, we all know her - but there's practically no story about her! She, like, just exists there. xd And to think she's one of the 12 Olympians, too...

I thought she used to be an Olympian...  

Kenamarin_Shukai

stanptg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:36 pm
Kenamarin_Shukai
hilaire11

She still is one though she gave up her throne to Dionysus ( at least thats what I've been told) when he became a god. She now sits tending the fire.

Also, it is true that there are few stories about her. In one gigantic book of greek mythology it tells who she is and what she does but doesnt tell of any stories about her.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:17 pm
Didn't I already make a thread like this?  

Akherontis
Captain

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:54 pm
Dionysus or Bacchus
I've never been clear on Erebus/ Erebos. Is he shadow or darkness or what? Then I read about how he surrounds the underworld and I got really confused sweatdrop

Erebus is the darkness of the underworld, who fills up all the cracks beneath the earth and seeps out in the form of shadows. As a place, he is literally the underworld, in the same sense as Gaia is the earth and Ouranos the dome of heaven.

The underworld can be called either Tartaros, Erebos or Hades (properly Domos Hadou, the House of Hades), interchangeably. Tartaros is the entire lower part of the universe, containing Erebos within it, which is the underworld. The underworld contains within it the House of Hades, surrounded by the River Styx. In the House of Hades, there are two realms; Elysion, the blessed plains, and Lemnos Asphodelos, the fields of asphodel. There are also two gates down into the pits of Tartaros, where the gods have imprisoned their various enemies, guarded by two of the three Hekatonkheires (Kottos and Gyges). The rivers Kokytos and Pyriphlegethon flow through these gates into Tartaros. The Rivers Styx, Akheron and Lethe flow through Erebos.

Here's a map I made of the Classical Universe, which might help.

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:23 am
It looks like a hamburger and it's making me hungry. Is it bad that I want to eat the cosmos?

I always liked Melinoe, goddess of offerings and votives to the dead; it is said that each night, she wanders the earth with an entourage of ghosts, silent and unseen, and this is why dogs seem to bark at nothing in the darkness, for they sense her frightful presence. It's also said that she was half-dark and half-bright, representing the radiance of Olympos and the gloom of Hades.  

Erosphoros

Erosphoros

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:34 am
lalagirl3
Kenamarin_Shukai
hilaire11

She still is one though she gave up her throne to Dionysus ( at least thats what I've been told) when he became a god. She now sits tending the fire.

Also, it is true that there are few stories about her. In one gigantic book of greek mythology it tells who she is and what she does but doesnt tell of any stories about her.

That's 'cos she never actually did anything. She spent all her time tending the hearth; she didn't have time to run off to take part in contests for golden apples, or be a patroness of heroes, or fight in wars. I wonder what would happen if Hestia's hearth-fire went out? In the temple of her Roman equivalent, Vesta, the hearth-fire was considered to be that of the state, and if it were allowed to go out, it was an exceedingly ill omen for the empire. Maybe if Hestia's fire goes out, Olympos gets very dark and very chilly and the gods can't heat their ambrosia. rofl I like to imagine the younger gods roasting marshmallows on it.

Eros: "Hey, don't hog all the pink ones!"
Ganymedes: "I'm not! Artemis, leave some pink ones for Eros."
Artemis: "Well, stop hogging all the white ones, then!"
*squabble squabble bicker*  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm
Erosphoros
It looks like a hamburger and it's making me hungry. Is it bad that I want to eat the cosmos?

I always liked Melinoe, goddess of offerings and votives to the dead; it is said that each night, she wanders the earth with an entourage of ghosts, silent and unseen, and this is why dogs seem to bark at nothing in the darkness, for they sense her frightful presence. It's also said that she was half-dark and half-bright, representing the radiance of Olympos and the gloom of Hades.

Ahhh, but we must consider that Melinoe appears to have been purely an Orphic deity, and Orphism is to mainstream Greek Mythology what Mormonism is to Christianity. I tend to be skeptical of the notion that Zeus and Persephone would have a child - not just because she's his own daughter, but also because Persephone always belonged either to Demeter or Hades. Minthe and Adonis aside. xp  

Akherontis
Captain

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:20 pm
Akherontis
Erosphoros

Ahhh, but we must consider that Melinoe appears to have been purely an Orphic deity, and Orphism is to mainstream Greek Mythology what Mormonism is to Christianity. I tend to be skeptical of the notion that Zeus and Persephone would have a child - not just because she's his own daughter, but also because Persephone always belonged either to Demeter or Hades. Minthe and Adonis aside. xp

*Pops head up* ooh, did I hear someone mention Orphism??? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:49 am
Akherontis
Erosphoros

There are versions of the myth that name her the daughter of Hades and Persephone too, with Hades' darkness and Persephone's radiance. And then there's them that considered Hades to be a Khthonic aspect of Zeus anyways, which come to the same thing. I love how there's like, ten different versions of every myth.  

Erosphoros

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:51 am
Erosphoros
Akherontis
Erosphoros

There are versions of the myth that name her the daughter of Hades and Persephone too, with Hades' darkness and Persephone's radiance. And then there's them that considered Hades to be a Khthonic aspect of Zeus anyways, which come to the same thing. I love how there's like, ten different versions of every myth.

It's true, but Melinoe still doesn't feature outside of the one reference in the Orphic Hymns, so those variants are more a case of modern conjecture, after all.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:14 am
Akherontis
Erosphoros
Akherontis
Erosphoros

It's true, but Melinoe still doesn't feature outside of the one reference in the Orphic Hymns, so those variants are more a case of modern conjecture, after all.

She's still a creepy and obscure ghost-goddess-girl for whom I have a soft spot. I love the image of her wandering the earth, shrouded in black, her robes and shawls and veils floating about her as the shades of the dead form a silent retinue... *shiver*  

Erosphoros

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:16 am
Erosphoros

She's still a creepy and obscure ghost-goddess-girl for whom I have a soft spot. I love the image of her wandering the earth, shrouded in black, her robes and shawls and veils floating about her as the shades of the dead form a silent retinue... *shiver*

I don't like the idea of Hades and Persephone having children. For the same reason, I am skeptical of Makaria. Besides, for all intents and purposes, her role is filled by other deities.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff