Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Most Obscure In Mythology Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Click the dot =^-^=
  Click ME!
View Results

Kallistea_Rose

2,950 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:53 pm
I was reading my mythology book today and read about a god I had never heard about called Hermaphroditus, son of Hermes and Aphrodite when she seduced him. Like the name may suggest Hermaphroditus had both parts *cough cough* down there redface . I thought it was way obscure and hadn't even heard of him til today but it does make sense looking at the names mixed together.

So does anyone know of any other really obscure or not well known gods/godesses?  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:57 pm
I already knew about Hermaphroditus, mainly becuase I focus alot of my research on Aphrodite.
Anyway I came across a miniscule God the other day when reading Aristophanes. I don't remember what his name was ... when I find it again I'll put it up. sweatdrop  

Lenimph

Akherontis
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:05 am
I could list a hundred obscure gods, and I'm not exaggerating. Most deities in greek mythology did not have any of their own myths, or their myths have long since been lost forever.

I wil add Momos, the god of Blame, Mockery and Criticism. Because of his eloquency, he was permitted to dwell in the heavens with the Olympians. However, he insulted every one of them with his caustic tongue, most of all Zeus. The only one he could find no fault with was Aphrodite. Naturally, the Olympians cast him out of Olympos and he returned to dwell with his siblings in the Underworld.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:16 pm
Wow. Im suprised hades didnt get fed up with him, or anyone else at that point!  

Groucho and Karl

Fanatical Cultist

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:56 pm
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX
I was reading my mythology book today and read about a god I had never heard about called Hermaphroditus, son of Hermes and Aphrodite when she seduced him. Like the name may suggest Hermaphroditus had both parts *cough cough* down there redface . I thought it was way obscure and hadn't even heard of him til today but it does make sense looking at the names mixed together.

So does anyone know of any other really obscure or not well known gods/godesses?

well...are you saying he was born like that? cuz i heard a myth where he was a guy and he was hunting one day and some nymph fell in love with him and asked to be a part of him forever and thats how hermaphroditus became what he was...but if he was born like that then i never heard of that version till now..  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:42 pm
Kenamarin_Shukai
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX

well...are you saying he was born like that? cuz i heard a myth where he was a guy and he was hunting one day and some nymph fell in love with him and asked to be a part of him forever and thats how hermaphroditus became what he was...but if he was born like that then i never heard of that version till now..

Actually, Hermaphroditus was born male. The story goes that the Naiad Salmacis fell in love with Hermaphroditus upon first sight. Hermaphroditus, however knew nothing of passion and shook off her advances. Pretending to leave, Salmacis hid in some nearby bushes. She watched Hermaphroditus as he rested by her pool. When he dove in, Salmacis yelled, "He's mine!" and went in after him. She grabbed hold of his body and prayed to the gods that they would never part. The gods granted the wish and the two beings became one being, nether male nor female. Thus was born the first hermaphrodite.  

Lightwater2520

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:11 pm
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX

Actually, Hermaphroditus was born male. The story goes that the Naiad Salmacis fell in love with Hermaphroditus upon first sight. Hermaphroditus, however knew nothing of passion and shook off her advances. Pretending to leave, Salmacis hid in some nearby bushes. She watched Hermaphroditus as he rested by her pool. When he dove in, Salmacis yelled, "He's mine!" and went in after him. She grabbed hold of his body and prayed to the gods that they would never part. The gods granted the wish and the two beings became one being, nether male nor female. Thus was born the first hermaphrodite.

thats what i meant  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:03 pm
Kenamarin_Shukai
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX

thats what i meant

I'm glad someone agrees with me.  

Lightwater2520

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:50 pm
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX

thats what i meant

Thank you.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:16 pm
Kenamarin_Shukai
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Lightwater2520
Kenamarin_Shukai
Xo-Rose_Toranaga-oX

thats what i meant

Thank you.

Your welcome. By the way, I've been having trouble locating myths about Hecate.  

Lightwater2520

GreenInkling

Salty Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:53 am
Quote:
Your welcome. By the way, I've been having trouble locating myths about Hecate.

I know Hecate is mentioned in the Theogony. She also figures in one of the Hades and Persephone myths. I want to say it's Virgil's version, but I'm not sure. It's more likely Hesiod's, since he had a special devotion to Hecate.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 pm
Thanks for the info.  

Lightwater2520

Aeronn

Waffles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:41 pm
Can I divert this thread a little and ask if people have come across odd alternative names for gods and goddesses?
I recently was reading a Chaucer thing where he calls Aphrodite "Cypride" and "Cytherea," and I know it's on her wiki but I'd never seen her actually referenced that way before.

He also calls Artemis...*goes and checks*...Lycina? As the goddess of childbirth, I think? Which I didn't think made a whole lot of sense.

But then he also says Saturn where I swear it's a Zeus equivalent rather than a Kronos... confused
But the poetry for that was so pretty I forgive 'im.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:25 pm
I've never been clear on Erebus/ Erebos. Is he shadow or darkness or what? Then I read about how he surrounds the underworld and I got really confused sweatdrop  

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100

Kenamarin_Shukai

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:31 pm
idea I guess Erebos is just the embodiment or personification of darkness. idea
idea So saying "Erebos surrounds the seas of the world." is saying, "Darkness surrounds the seas of the world." idea

Other than that, I got nothing. sweatdrop  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces