Rules! (Please Read Before Posting) Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:09 pm
Although I'm pretty open-minded, some rules apply to this guild, just like every other. Please read through them carefully before posting anything in this guild.

1. All of Gaia's TOS apply.

You guys know full well what I mean.

2. No spam!

Please do not post repeat threads. If you are unsure of whether your idea has already been made into a topic, look around! The guild isn't impossibly big. Also, do not make topics like "OMG FRRENSCH ISH T3H SM3XI3ST LANGAG 3V4!!!" or "hey does anyone know who to say (insert word here) in German???" If you love a language, tell us about it here: http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/viewtopic.php?t=1264916 . If you have questions about a certain language, the general discussion for that language is where you need to be. If there is no general discussion for the language you speak/are learning, feel free to make one! smile But please, do not make pointless topics that will be worthless after 3 replies. If what you have to say doesn't seem to have anything to do with anything, the Chatterbox might be where you should post it.

3. Speak the appropriate language.

For the sake of simplifying things, English will be the language used in most posts/topics. If you want to speak Russian, do it in the Russian General Discussion. The same goes for Arabic, Chinese, and all other languages. Do not go into the Spanish General Discussion and start posting in Swedish. Outside of the general discussions, please try to stick to English. Not everybody speaks the same languages as you.

4. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.

This is pretty straight-forward. If someone has corny Italian, be nice. How would you feel if somebody teased you because of your poor communication skills in another language?

5. No bumping outside of t3h Chatterbox and the News Bulletin.

This may change in the future, if we end up having a rather large number of posts. But for the present time, there is no point in bumping outside of t3h Chatterbox (bumping in t3h Chatterbox is done for gold, of course razz and I need people to bump in the news bulletin so as to attract attention to it - it's very important, after all).

6. Please help me!

Talented as I may be, I am not fluent in every language. Therefore, I will have no way of knowing if somebody has said something offensive if it's in a language that I don't know (the only langauges that I speak fluently are English, Russian, and French). So, if you see somebody posting something inappropriate that is not in English, Russian, or French, please pm me and tell me about it >< It's important that I know about these things.

7. Post! Be active! Have fun!

I don't expect every to be online night and day. I know that everyone here, myself included, has a life outside of the internet. I don't expect everyone to be able to post every day, or sometimes not even once a week. However, I would prefer that everybody tried to post something at least from time to time. Even one post per month is fine. Just do something. The point of this guild isn't poll-whoring. Don't be shy - if you have questions, ask them! Even if they seem silly or stupid, at least you'll know. Nobody will laugh at you for it (see rule #4 for details). If you have something you'd like to share, share it! 3nodding Others will benefit from your knowledge.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:05 am
I have a question.

Proudly_Jewish
3. No accents. This goes for all languages.

As many of you language lovers will know, certain languages have accents or makrs on certain letters (French, German, and Hungarian being examples). Please do not use those accents or marks even when you are speaking that language. Accents and marks don't work on gaia. You can write in different alphabets/use letters that don't exist in English, just as long as they aren't a Roman letter with an accent.

The accents actually work.

You know how in the Chinese thread, sometimes the Chinese characters don't show up, even to the people who originally posted it?

It's because Gaia defaults to a Western encoding, and the Chinese comes out as symbols, and they show up properly if you change the encoding to Unicode.

The same applies to accents. So why aren't accents allowed?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Spanish Nerd
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:29 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
I have a question.

Proudly_Jewish

As many of you language lovers will know, certain languages have accents or makrs on certain letters (French, German, and Hungarian being examples). Please do not use those accents or marks even when you are speaking that language. Accents and marks don't work on gaia. You can write in different alphabets/use letters that don't exist in English, just as long as they aren't a Roman letter with an accent.

You know how in the Chinese thread, sometimes the Chinese characters don't show up, even to the people who originally posted it?

It's because Gaia defaults to a Western encoding, and the Chinese comes out as symbols, and they show up properly if you change the encoding to Unicode.

Woah...how do you do that? I want to use accents for spanish, which I have, but the don't work. stare  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:31 am
spanishnerd99
Woah...how do you do that? I want to use accents for spanish, which I have, but the don't work. stare

On a page where there is a post with an accent, right click and there should be an option with an arrow called "Character Encoding" if using Firefox or "Encoding" if using Internet Explorer. Choose "Unicode (UTF-8)". Any accents should show up properly.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:45 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
spanishnerd99

On a page where there is a post with an accent, right click and there should be an option with an arrow called "Character Encoding" if using Firefox or "Encoding" if using Internet Explorer. Choose "Unicode (UTF-8)". Any accents should show up properly.
ah, I see surprised *takes that rule out*  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:02 pm
You kinda have to use accent because in some languages a word can be spelled with the accfent but if you dont add it it may be a word with a completly diff meaning!!!!!!!!  

angelmae3995

5,600 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:12 pm
angelmae3995
You kinda have to use accent because in some languages a word can be spelled with the accfent but if you dont add it it may be a word with a completly diff meaning!!!!!!!!
You kinda have to read all of the posts. I've taken out that rule. And, being fluent in French, I know how important accents are, the original inquiry was that they don't work on gaia.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:26 pm
Aww I love these rules. <3 Everyone is so nice here and I can even sound silly and still get help! surprised  

Atashi wa Kitsunya desu

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:27 pm
Atashi wa Kitsunya desu
Aww I love these rules. <3 Everyone is so nice here and I can even sound silly and still get help! surprised
*gives you a cookie* ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:23 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
I have a question.

Proudly_Jewish

Uhh...Help? My brain is all muddles up from this!!! cry  

Liltweet_gal

Proudly_Jewish
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:31 pm
if, instead of accents or Japanese/Chinese characters you see wierd squares or some other stupid thing, go to the top of your computer screen and click on "view" - scroll down to "encoding" and select "unicode" 3nodding hope that helped ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:07 pm
Yeaah...it kinda did, but i'll get it eventually ^_^  

Liltweet_gal

-K Happy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:06 am
Those are annoying squares!

Yay I did it! My name is at the right of every postable topic! *Happy dance*  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:57 pm
Happy-Kindness
Those are annoying squares!

Yay I did it! My name is at the right of every postable topic! *Happy dance*

o_______o