Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greek Mythology Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for lovers of Greek Mythology in all its rich variety. 

Tags: Greek, Greece, Classical, Mythology, Myth 

Reply Greek Mythology Guild
Hera: Good Goddess, Bad Goddess, or what? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is Hera good or bad?
A. Good
63%
 63%  [ 29 ]
B. Bad
36%
 36%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 46

R A W R_i_RaWrEd

Newbie Sleuth

6,700 Points
  • Member 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 am
R A W R_i_RaWrEd
I agree that Hera is good and bad. It depends on who your talking about. Some people she hates. Some she loves. And some she doesn't care.

So, I won't vote. (mainly because there isn't an "or what" option)  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:28 pm
I noticed that only one of you, Javier, spoke about Jason and the Argo. The rest of you are talking about my niece and her relationship with Zeus.. Pity.

Anyways, Hera did play a very big part in the Argo's trip, having a soft side for Jason. She made Medea fall for him with the help of Aphrodite, she pretty much gave them a good route. Seriously guys, you're forgetting the rest of the myths.

Also, I must show of how faithful she was. I've only read it once, but I do remember a certain centaur coming up to Hera and asking for her love, yet she refused. See, if that was Zeus and it was a princess and or nymph, he would have been on her by the first word.  

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

I-Ate-Your-Oreos

Sparkly Trash

17,190 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Egg Collector 100
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:11 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta
I noticed that only one of you, Javier, spoke about Jason and the Argo. The rest of you are talking about my niece and her relationship with Zeus.. Pity.

Anyways, Hera did play a very big part in the Argo's trip, having a soft side for Jason. She made Medea fall for him with the help of Aphrodite, she pretty much gave them a good route. Seriously guys, you're forgetting the rest of the myths.

Also, I must show of how faithful she was. I've only read it once, but I do remember a certain centaur coming up to Hera and asking for her love, yet she refused. See, if that was Zeus and it was a princess and or nymph, he would have been on her by the first word.

good point. i forgot about all of that!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Mnemosyne Moneta

Thank you, milady. *bows down*
I wonder if there's more positives Hera did than just what's currently listed, because beyond the tale of the Argonaunts, i can't recall other positive things she did, although i appreciate that you introduced another positive deed she did when it came to Centaurs.

Which Centaur was he who dared to ask about Hera's love, might i ask, milady?  

Javier Cross

o0Ms_Ricebox0o

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:30 am
Hera has the power to be good and bad. Though I wonder why she gets so pissed with Zeus at ever women he raped (well not all women thought), but she herself was just raped by Zeus too. ):

Hey she's the queen of Olympus that wouldn't be nice if her King is too lovable with his women subjects.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:02 pm
XThe Lily Of The ValleyX
Hera's alright. On one hand, Hera's the goddess of marriage, and here her husband is running off with princesses everywhere. Not to mention she can't really do anything about it besides curse the women and the following children. Perhaps a bit too jealous, but that's alright. After all, she only had two children, and Zeus had, and I'm just making up a number here, ten. rofl If she could divorce Zeus, do you guys think she would?

No! She never would. First of all, she is the goddess of marriage. Don't you think she would know better than divorce Zeus. Second, she actually likes Zeus. Why do think she's jealous?  

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:07 pm
history goddess
To me shes one of the most misunderstood goddess's... alot of poeple dont like her nows days because they forget when the myths where written. It was a different age when women had hardly any say at all in what went on in there marriages, little own their mythology! To many women Hera was their embassador. she went though the same things they did... a cheating husband and no power to stop him or diviorce him... shes a queen after all, and that type of spilt would just invite chaos into the court; which Zeus (being the fighter of all chaos)
wouldnt allow.
Sure she attacks the people who where almost always victims but she's a goddess, and its her right to be pissed...
The same can be said of Athena and Medusa...When the girls cant touch the true offenders personally, they must find other ways of taking revenge.

Exactly. ( Hehe, I like the Athena/Medusa story. Strange it's not as popoular than the Athena/Arachne story. Medusa is WAY more popular.)  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:09 pm
Hera is NOT a bad goddess. People know her for her jealousy. It's not her problem that Zeus likes raping everyone he sees. And she has done many good things too. It's a shame she was always hated. She's a nice goddess. sad  

Spottedteddybears

Vicious Pants

coffeebeancloud

5,650 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:42 pm
Javier Cross
Mnemosyne Moneta

Thank you, milady. *bows down*
I wonder if there's more positives Hera did than just what's currently listed, because beyond the tale of the Argonaunts, i can't recall other positive things she did, although i appreciate that you introduced another positive deed she did when it came to Centaurs.

Which Centaur was he who dared to ask about Hera's love, might i ask, milady?

It wasn't a centaur, but a normal mortal named Ixion. Zeus sent a cloud shaped like Hera to him, and he had it with her, and told Zeus he did. Zeus then turned him into a wheel  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:50 pm
Spottedteddybears
Hera is NOT a bad goddess. People know her for her jealousy. It's not her problem that Zeus likes raping everyone he sees. And she has done many good things too. It's a shame she was always hated. She's a nice goddess. sad

There there, teddy bears.
You can have a drink of hot chocolate and it'll be all better.  

Javier Cross

Dionysus or Bacchus

5,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:10 am
Javier Cross
Spottedteddybears

There there, teddy bears.
You can have a drink of hot chocolate and it'll be all better.

rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:19 pm
Hera is an abused and mistreated goddess.
Any good person would get jealous when their husband is sleeping with half the planet >.>

However, I do think that most of the time she was getting angry and punishing the wrong person.

Eileen Eir

Fluffy Healer

14,200 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Fluff Reclamation 250

Grey-Eyed Boleyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:37 am
Actually, Hera kind of did divorce Zeus. She is worshipped in three stages: Hera the Maiden, Hera the Mother, and Hera the Divorced. I guess we would call her estranged, not strictly divorced. She is still Queen of Olympus, but she has no more children with Zeus. Going into deeper, more psychological stuff, the portrayal of Hera as a vengful goddess actually comes from the time of the Doric conquest of Greece. The Dorians worshipped Zeus (no Hera yet), and the people who lived in Greece before the Dorians worshipped Hera as an overall mother goddess( hence the worshipping of her in three stages). By marrying their god to the local goddess, and turning her into an angry shrew, the Dorians showed their domination over the local people.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:44 am
Grey-Eyed Boleyn
Actually, Hera kind of did divorce Zeus. She is worshipped in three stages: Hera the Maiden, Hera the Mother, and Hera the Divorced. I guess we would call her estranged, not strictly divorced. She is still Queen of Olympus, but she has no more children with Zeus. Going into deeper, more psychological stuff, the portrayal of Hera as a vengful goddess actually comes from the time of the Doric conquest of Greece. The Dorians worshipped Zeus (no Hera yet), and the people who lived in Greece before the Dorians worshipped Hera as an overall mother goddess( hence the worshipping of her in three stages). By marrying their god to the local goddess, and turning her into an angry shrew, the Dorians showed their domination over the local people.

I wonder if, distrust from Dionysus or Hercules notwithstanding, there's actually a lot of truth held in a cup of water by the Dorians at the time.
No wonder why i was suspicious if Hera might have Spared Helen because she might lead to the deaths of many of her half-siblings through Zeus, or if it was for more reasonable(pardon the pun!) reasons at the time.
Alas, the matter of Helen is another story in itself, but at any rate, is that why its so rare to hear of Hera in her right mind, nowadays?  

Javier Cross

Grey-Eyed Boleyn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:55 am
Another thing I forgot to include in my rant- Hercules is spelled Herakles in Greece. Herakles means Hera's honor. There is a myth explaining this in the Greek mythology we now read, but the name actually harks back to the time before the Dorians, when Herakles was worshipped as Hera's consort.  
Greek Mythology Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff