Welcome to Gaia! ::

History Huggers

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who do want to live in the past! 

Tags: history, historical 

Reply Main Forum
Most pointless War in History? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

+1
  +1
View Results

S t a r s h ii p Blue

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:59 pm
In your mind which is the most pointless war in all of history.

(ALSO

User Image

^ LIKE ANIMECLICK TEH X ^

)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:48 pm
Hmmm....Well, for me, I can't decide whether it's the Vietnam War, the Civil War, or the current Iraq War.

I guess I have to say Iraq takes the cake. They never asked for our assistance, we wrongly assumed they had Weapons of Mass Destruction, we overthrew their government, and generally occupied the area without their consent.
I understand many terrorists have been put out of action thanks to this war, but at the cost of how many lives?  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:04 pm
wel it would b the current ps shiro how could u not like the civil war  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:10 pm
yea the Iraq war might be the one, shino you are kind of right because the civil war showed how a nation like the US easily fought against it self because both sides could not come to a equal agreement, but in the other hand the civil war did free the slaves, and what would have happened had it not happened? PS Jariah we should not like war at all.  

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

LightMousy
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:36 pm
1. i agree, war is not good, it causes the death of so many......
2. The Iraqi Conflict, its so pointless I don't even call it a war....  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:21 pm
To Syn: It's not that I don't like the Civil War, only that it was sort of pointless. And it was not, as it is popularly viewed, fought over slavery. It was started when several states seceded simply because Lincoln became President.

And while it did eventually lead to the end of the slave era, it didn't accomplish much more than that. It broke up much of the loyalty in the US and some (only some!) people in the South still believe that they should have their own country.

However, it is a valuable peice of our history. I do like hearing about the Civil War (I have a huge book on it, after all), but I think it could have been avoided.  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:48 pm
o i thought u meant the slave thing sweatdrop
but u have some truth ignorance is foolish  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:45 pm
Modern ones...at least those of the past had valid justification...these days it's all about money.  

Skizio
Crew

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:32 pm
To Syn: Don't sweat it biggrin I have a habit of not making myself very clear when I write...it generally kills my grades when I have to write an essay *sigh*

To Skizio: Amen to that. 'Money makes the world go round' doesn't even apply any more. It seems like life as we know it would totally perish if money ceased to exist domokun

Of course, money did play a part in most of the wars in history (especially those involving empires, like Rome. Hostages' ransoms filled up the coffers pretty fast) but it was rarely just for money.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:07 pm
don't blame the money blame the fools who dont spend it right  

the grey seer
Vice Captain

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:19 pm
in my beliefs (correct me if I'm wrong) money was created to help us regulate the human system and to make our societies better, how is it that such an idea could have turned into the fuel for most wars, why is it that humans chose to change good ideas to bad actions?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:59 pm
That's an awesome thought, aoi! But before we get into discussion about it, why not give it a thread all to itself?
A thread about money and its uses would be an interesting addition to our existing topics of discussion ^_^
(wow, was it just me, or did I just sound scarily like an English teacher?)  

shirofoxes
Captain

Business Gekko

3,325 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50
  • Treasure Hunter 100

the grey seer
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:36 pm
little of both  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:31 pm
ok shiro-sama, i will start that new trend, you sounder just fine 3nodding well that's just my opinion biggrin  

Tsubaki Aoi
Crew

Alonso Quijana

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:17 pm
Going back to the original question, I think World War II was the most pointless war fought.

Now, hear me out.

There were plenty of points along the way that we (as in the Allies) could have prevented WWII, but Britain, France, and the U.S. were too scared to get into another war.

Hefty reparations on top of the Great Depression ruined Germany's economy and pushed the German's to extremes (i.e. - electing Hitler). If we had given them a break, that might not have happened.

Appeasement doesn't work, it just fuels greed. If we would have cut Hitler off when he invaded his neighbors, WWII might have never occured.

Now, I'm not saying that WWII was pointless because of its outcome, but because it could have been avoided and all those lives could have been saved.  
Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff