Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Misplaced Apostrophes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

eJayPierre

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:18 am
I'm sure we're all familiar with apostrophes being inappropriately used in plurals. Shops offering "camera's" for sale. Supermarkets offering "tomato's" (or in extreme cases, "tomatoe's"). Warning signs advising us that the door are covered by surveillance "camera's".

What my significant other noticed was that these misplaced apostrophes are pretty much ALWAYS added to words with trailing vowels. It's much less likely to see a word like, for example, "vowel's", with an apostrophe following a consonant (though not unheard of).

Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have any alternative opinions on why this relentless abuse of the humble apostrophe might be taking place?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:36 pm
I am simply amazed that people still use apostrophes anymore.

I flinch every time I see a contraction without and apostrophe! I told someone in my English 115 (Shakespeare) course that they needed and apostrophe in "I'm" and they asked, "what's that?"

Even after my explanation, they still had nothing more than a vague idea of what an apostrophe is, let alone how to use it.  

Chocolatepanacea

Woodnut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:16 am
eJayPierre
Supermarkets offering "tomato's" (or in extreme cases, "tomatoe's").
eek Speaking of supermarkets, it really annoys me when signs combine the cent sign with a decimal point. (Instead of saying $.87 or 87¢, they'll say .87¢.)

Okay, back on the topic of apostrophes: the "Ladie's" sign above the restroom at a Denny's near me! That used to bug the hell out of me (when I went there often).  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 pm
I'd like to bring up a discussion here in light of the recent Holiday.

Would it be Valentine's Day, or Valentines Day? Technically, it is a day in honor of St. Valentine, so wouldn't it be an apostrophe s to show ownership?  

Zen Bassist

terramaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:55 pm
Woodnut
eJayPierre
Supermarkets offering "tomato's" (or in extreme cases, "tomatoe's").
eek Speaking of supermarkets, it really annoys me when signs combine the cent sign with a decimal point. (Instead of saying $.87 or 87¢, they'll say .87¢.)

That usually happens because the decimal point is built in or someones too lazy to change it.

I am shamed by the lack of apostrophes (What would I do without spellcheck?!) in mundane situations. The main reason I believe why people use an apostrophe improperly at the end of a "vowel word" is probably because it looks wrong. Tomatos (improper spelling)/Tomatoes might not strike them as a proper plural, and for whatever reason, an apostrophe seems to correct that for them no matter how wrong they are.

I'm not really sure on the whole Valentine discussion though, but I really think an apostrophe is needed.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:51 am
A Hardcore Goldfish
I'd like to bring up a discussion here in light of the recent Holiday.

Would it be Valentine's Day, or Valentines Day? Technically, it is a day in honor of St. Valentine, so wouldn't it be an apostrophe s to show ownership?

And Iko brings up an old topic again...

In answer to this, I always use an apostrophe, but you could also argue it's the day for sending valentines to people. But then I'd argue that valentines is technically a contraction of Valentine's Day gifts/chocolates/hearts/cards.
We never use the phrase 'sending valentines' without anything on the end in England, but I've heard and/or read it elsewhere.

Misplaced and missing apostrophes almost make me want to cry...especially on things like billboards.
I once sat in a restaurant and corrected the menu on the blackboard next to me.

Chocolatepanacea: I was simply horrified by that. Someone actually asked you what an apostrophe was? When they're old enough to be doing Shakespeare in school?

On a slightly different note: what do you people think of double apostrophes, such as in the word sha'n't?

Ithaya

xXBisexual FlanXx

Dapper Genius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:11 pm
Wow. Most of these stories horrify me. <.> (Just so you know, that smiley is me with my eyes going different directions. It doesn't look too good to me, honestly, but whatever. I don't usually use smileys like that anyway.)

Most of that is almost as bad as the time when I was reading a story, and the authoress repeatedly spelled "want" as "wan't". And this person claimed to be in high school. I think this is a very stupid mistake, and I'm only in junior high.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 pm
xXBisexual FlanXx
Wow. Most of these stories horrify me. <.> (Just so you know, that smiley is me with my eyes going different directions. It doesn't look too good to me, honestly, but whatever. I don't usually use smileys like that anyway.)

Most of that is almost as bad as the time when I was reading a story, and the authoress repeatedly spelled "want" as "wan't". And this person claimed to be in high school. I think this is a very stupid mistake, and I'm only in junior high.

What the hell is wan't? Have apostrophes moved from that thing that warns you there is an s coming to that thing that goes between an n and a t? The mind, it boggles.  

Quatrina

Elanchana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:50 am
Oh no! Not zOMG!!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:20 pm
"Misusing apostrophe's--its modern art at it's finest!"  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Ithaya

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:12 pm
Elanchana
Oh no! Not zOMG!!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

They just meant that the feather is for Blaze. =D
Just missing a few words. Most of the sentence in fact...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:45 pm
This is a very happy story you will all enjoy.

I was at Lomond Shores today (shops at the shores of Loch Lomond) and I saw a sign on a photo booth that said, "Photo's = £3.50" or something. I was about to yell at it when I looked closely and saw a very faint red cross over it. Someone had corrected it!

I couldn't stop smiling for ten minutes after that.

Mr Enigma Girl

Wheezing Capitalist

6,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Junior 100

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:39 pm
I'm actually kind of appalled at how many stores and such add apostrophes right and left, you'd think that they'd be better about it, being somewhat official and all.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:12 pm
Biggest pet peeve: CD's.

Ithaya

Mr Enigma Girl

Wheezing Capitalist

6,500 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 pm
Ikonik Angel
Biggest pet peeve: CD's.

Ugh! That drives me nuts!