Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Teen Sex, Pregnancy and Puberty Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for teenagers covering topics centering around teen sex, pregnancy, puberty, and other aspects of teen life. 

Tags: teens, puberty, sexuality, pregnancy, life issues 

Reply Puberty Subforum
Got acne? This might make you feel better

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Freedom Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:02 pm
User Image

My acne used to look that bad (don't worry I'm not deformed, I was just making a weird face at my friend). This was taken 6 months ago, now my acne is almost completely gone.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm
Thanks it does make me feel better  

danser12

anime_freak_kouga

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm
Wow, what did you use to help it clear up??  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:07 pm
anime_freak_kouga

Mostly perscription stuff . . . Tazorac, Clindamycin, Finacea, Doxycycline.

And I used gentle cleansers and moistruizers to help with the redness.  

Freedom Fire

anime_freak_kouga

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:10 pm
Freedom Fire
anime_freak_kouga

Mostly perscription stuff . . . Tazorac, Clindamycin, Finacea, Doxycycline.

And I used gentle cleansers and moistruizers to help with the redness.

Cool, well I bet you feel over 100% better about your new fresh skin huh?? =)  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:14 am
Did you ever use Pro Active? Anyone PM me to know what you think about it or advice to get clean skin.  

MyXanaduX

Kitsu Lolita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:03 am
I used to have a lot of acne too, but now I'm better :3 I can't remember how much I had, but I'm sure it was pretty much, maybe like yours.
you could also post how's your face now :3 and how it has changed with the treatments, that give hope to people who has acne because it shows it's possible to erase it  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:35 am
I had bad acne when I was in my teens - it hit right around grade 7/8, and didn't really go away until grade 11 or 12 (definitely by grade 12). But even now, I still get zits from time to time, and I have to use cleansers on a regular basis or else I get more zits and blotchyness.

I used to use Oxy Clean pads, but they dried my skin out and sometimes just made the problem worse. Eventually, I came across Advantage Acne Cleanser by Clean & Clear. Best. Product. Evar.

Please note, if you try googling some reviews for this product, a lot of them are negative. It's definitely not a product that works for everyone. Some don't like the texture, and many people found it made their acne worse. This might be because of the 2% salicylic acid that can dry skin out or cause more breakouts if left on the skin for too long.

However I did find a review that sums up why I liked the product nicely:

Quote:
(http://www.epinions.com/review/Clean_Clear_Advantage_Acne_Cleanser/content_23306269862 cool

theinbox's Full Review: Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Cleanser
I hate to be quick about this, but I just happened to visit the site tonight after being away for awhile. I started using the Advantage Acne Cleanser about three weeks ago and was sure I'd see here that there were rave reviews, but was shocked to find that there were so few reviews, but more surprised that they were negative.

I'm 38 years old and have had skin problems all of my teen life. My skin has cleared in my latter years as I take a bit better care of myself, still I have leftover marks from past acne, and very often have blackheads and a pimple just about every week.

Advantage Acne Cleanser has worked well for me in the past three weeks and I'm not even slightly tempted to purchase a more glamorous product just for the packaging or adult target market. The texture does, indeed, look a bit "slimy" as some said, but it lathers nicely and removes all my makeup well. By the time I run a cotton ball with astringent over my face, there's almost no trace of residue on my skin. It rinses completely clean and easily with a few splashes of water and a washcloth.

While some of the other reviewers noted leathery-feeling skin or dryness, well, that's what most acne products do to skin to some degree. Salicylic acid does cause some drying, especially the more recommended 2% products. However, skin care is not just topical. When I noticed the first week that the skin around my chin and forehead were a little bit dry (even after applying moisturizer morning and evening) I made sure I drank 60 ounces of water a day. That's just three 20 oz. bottles a day; for me that's one before work, a bottle during the day, and another once I'm home. No more dryness. This also assists in the flushing of blackheads, which Advantage Acne Cleanser also has assisted in raising to the surface for easier removal.

So if you try this product and it appears your complexion is worse before it gets better, just think - where are those imperfections under your skin that you're buying products for supposed to go? They can't retract, they have to come OUT of your skin.

In just three weeks, the skin on my nose alone is practically poreless. While I have to use an extra dose of oil-free around my mouth and forehead to prevent dryer skin in those areas, that's no bother. I also use an eye cream so that skin around those areas aren't affected by the salicylic acid. My skin really does have a glow about it and I wish I could post a before and after picture here. I literally get up close in the mirror every time I wash my face because I really can't recall my skin looking this good and feeling so soft in a long time. And for less than $7, that's amazing!

I'm looking forward to finishing this entire first tube of Advantage Acne Cleanser and seeing the results. I'm already satisfied.

So it's not for everyone, but if you try it and it works, it works really well. I had (and still have) very oily skin, and Advantage made my skin much less oily and drastically reduced my breakouts as long as I didn't leave it on for too long (longer than a minute or two). There were times when I did leave it on too long by accident, and I would end up with more breakouts/irritation by the next day.

Also, I found that applying the product in the shower works better than just putting it right on dry skin/skin that's been moistened with a washcloth. In the shower the hot water opens up your pores and I just found it came off easier and I had less irritation.

So yeah. Just wanted to share my experiences. 3nodding  

Nikolita
Captain

hippylu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:51 am
I have had bad acne for around three years now...and I have tried everything...seriously...Proactive..acne.org's regimen, and hundreds of different cleansers and moisturizers, and "natural" acne treatments, each of them for around 4 months depending on what they did to my skin...proactive dried out my face so much...and so did everything with benzoyl peroxcide...but recently I decided to go easy on my face, stick to one thing for a while and just take really good care of it and think positivly.. so I ordered Carley's clear and smooth on a whim and after reading tons of reviews *(I'm really careful now about buying products) and everyday minerals makeup which is supposed to help your skin and cover up blemishes, and so far it is working beautifully, even though carley's clear and smooth has benzoyl peroxcide it's in a really small amount and you only use it once a day for less than 30 seconds.. if you want more info. on stuff like this PM me, anyway... I still have acne but it's clearingup and my face is really smooth...the makeup works nicely...but I don't think my acne will be completely gone until my hormones level out, which I've come to accept
good luck to all of you with acne...it sucks..hard, and someday it will get better!
-Lucy  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:34 am
I don't get TERRIBLE acne per se, but I do get a few nasty blemishes on my forehead. It really bothers me, and it usually occurs during my period. I tried Clean & Clear Advantage, and that dried out my skin, as well as Clearasil. I also tried Murad, ProActive and Arbonne. I got the best results from Arbonne, but it was alot of work to keep up with. ProActive burned my face and it turned my cheeks red after use, which wasn't so good before school. So recently I decided to try Neutrogena Advanced Solution...and it works! My face is very clear! Some good spot treatment is witch hazel or tea tree oil...I use them alot. But check out Neutrogena, it works very well and it's inexpensive! But if it doesn't help you, keep trying! Not everyone responds well to everything. smile Good luck!  

Ethaelia

mangachan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:08 pm
I had moderate acne that wouldn't go away. I was sick of trying OTC products that would work for a while and then have my acne come back. I went to a derm. I got pills and a benzol peroxide facial wash and it's improved SO much.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:43 pm
I don't think I have bad acne, moderate maybe. I'm 25 years old, so I've been dealing with this for over 10 years. My mother is almost 50, and she still has acne too. It just runs in our family. Nothing gets rid of it or prevents it, but some things do help speed up the healing process a bit. One product that I like is Burt's Bees Blemish Stick. It helps speed up the healing for me, it's not terribly expensive considering how long it lasts, and it's natural. I consider myself extremely fortunate that I do not scar though. Both of my parents have extreme scarring due to acne.

And I think it's awesome that you put an unflattering picture of yourself up to try to encourage other people. 3nodding  

LorienLlewellyn

Quotable Informer

Ghettobilly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:57 pm
i have never had a bad acne problem, i used to get them here and there on my forehead and i dont know why but after i started greasing my hair (pomade) i stopped getting them.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:28 pm
Acne Scars. My Acne is going away but they live red spots I dont know what to do, Some one please PM?  

MyXanaduX

Drumgasmic Monkeyguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:05 pm
well its always a good thing to hear that someone who had bad acne has "good" acne now. mine used to be horrible but then i experimented with different soaps and solutions and now its pretty good  
Puberty Subforum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games