Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Duplexes
[Journal] Duplex #1 - Ambrose Maurlias & Angelina Swanson Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 47 48 49 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:02 am
From Bad to Worse
Ambrose and Angelina run into Pyroth. Ambrose shares a short moment of comraderie with his fellow 50% canine,until Angelina's condition suddenly takes a turn for the worse...

Ambrose Maurlias
NEW RP

Angelina was doing.... bad. It had been over 48 hours since she was injected now, and she still hadn't changed. Ambrose was begining to worry. She was looking pale, she was feverish, and she hadn't had anything to eat in some time. She kept swearing she wasn't hungry, but Ambrose knew that she needed to get something in her system or else it would be Bad.

And his appetite, as self-centered as it probably sounded, wasn't lacking in the least.

Finally goading her to get up (she had been asleep for a while now - well, at least lying down if not sleeping soundly) for some time now. He was loathe to move her, but her lips were chapped and she needed nourishment.

He gently roused her and virtually carried her into the cafeteria, setting her in one of the chairs and went to go retreive a wide assortment of foods from the line to set before the two of them.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth had only just decided to emerge from his own duplex then, he had been on a weekend long chillout session fuelled by JD and his own thoughts and only now felt up to facing the light outside the duplex, his hangover faded. He hadn't eaten in around four days, the maximum even he could push it to and the cafeteria became the only decent option.

He hated eating but it was a neccisary evil and, as he made his way over to the tables where the food was kept, he gave Ambrose a nod and a hello, however, he didn't actually say anything sustantial until he returned and sat down at the table, his plate piled with steak and other meats. Finally noticing Angelina, he raised a brow and looked concerned "Is she okay?"

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose blinked as Pyroth walked in.... that... that was Pyroth, right? He had changed since he had last seen him... ,not taht that was any surprise - he had been on the Island almost as long as he had been. The other canine had passed his throughts just the other day. This confirmed the suspicion. The fur-covered body was all too familiar, however. His progression didn't seem all that different than Ambrose's own.

"Pyroth" Ambrose said with a friendly, but slightly haggard smile and a perk of his ears.

He sighed, glancing between the two, picking up one of the hot dogs and taking a small bite. "She... ah... she hasn't been feeling well." Ambrose said, not wanting to divulge more information than Angelina wanted to, leaving it for her to provide any details. But the worry was there.

"How has life been treating you?"

Angelina Swanson
Angelina sat slumped beside Ambrose. She slowly stirred some crackers into her soup, but never ate. Instead she just kind of stirred it around util the crackers were all soggy and the soup formed a thick paste. She lifted a spoon of the let it fall back into the bowl with a plop. She sighed, thinking the soup kind of represented how she felt.

She looked up at the person coming in and made a grunt in acknowledgement. She had dark circles under her eyes and her hair was uncharacteristically pulled behind in a ponytail.

"She hasn't been feeling well."

Angelin looked up for second and nodded slowly. She plucked the napkin from her lap and wiped a few beads of sweat off her foreead.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth, as soon as he had begun to eat something, gradually became more aware of who was in the room, the red haze of hunger desperation, fueled not only by his own instincts, clearing somewhat. He stuck to his usual strategy of not mentioning any changes but did note that he and Ambrose appeared to be going down the same evolutionary branch. It was a bit of a comfort knowing that you weren't the only one in that particular boat.

He gave Angelina a slightly more detailed look, confirming that nope, he hadn't seen her before on the island. He wished her well though, no one deserved illness on top of the nonsense of this island. She really wasn't looking great, he hoped it wasn't serious. However, he didn't say anything more on illness for the time being, not wanting to stress Ambrose out any more than was neccisary.

He shrugged "For the island, life has been pretty decent, I've been learning new and intersting ways to pass the days. I've given up fretting a bit and am a bit "que sera sera" about it all. I keep telling myself I could be doing worse things than chilling out on a tropical beach, even if I am covered in fur to do so."

Pyroth couldn't help it, he was one of life's adapters/quitters, he would be happy with his lot after a while until someone took it away again.

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose's long tail gave a few cursory wags as he nodded to the older man. Looking at him though, and knowing well enough how he looked, it still was different to watch someone else and know that that was how others saw him. Ambrose had come to.... accept... how he looked, but still didn't spend more time than required in front of a mirror (an admitted big change from his previous lifestle).

"I'm glad to hear that..." He scooted a little closer to Angelina, slipping a furry arm around her shoulders as he noticed that none of the soup had thus far made it into her mouth. A line of worry appeared between his eyes that reflected the frown.

"You should eat.." He coached quietly, massaging the soreness between her shoulder blades. "You need your strength."

Looking back up to Pyroth, he spoke to him again. "I do have to admit, there are worse locations... although sometime the fur makes me wish that the Island wasn't quite so... well... tropical."

Angelina Swanson
Angelina frowned at Ambrose and took a tint bite of the soup. She grimaced and dropped the spoon back into the bowl and pushed it away from her. "I'm not hungry," she mumbled softly.

She looked up to Pyroth and sunk a bit in her chair. She knew how bad she looked, all sickly and illgroomed. She pulled out her hair from her ponytail and ran a shaky hand through it. "Nice to meet you," she said softly to the man to sound polite.

She scratched at her arm and coughed, groaning a bit to Ambrose.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth watched Ambrose' concern for Angelina and wondered momentarily if he'd come to terms with his girl he'd left behind and found a new source of happiness. Of course, he could never have guessed that the brown haired woman that he tended to was the girl he'd heard about. Ambrose' words momentarily reminded him of his own hunger and he took another few bites before returning his attention to the man.

"Definately, the air can be really humid and when it's like that the last thing you need is a full body suit of fur to keep you over-warm. I always find a swim in the shallows is good to cool down, it takes a while to dry out." Pyroth however in regards to fur was slightly more at convenience than Ambrose, his pelt was really quite good for arid areas and only the humidity bothered him. "Though, if it's just warm and I'm inland, it's not too big of a problem oddly, actually helps me keep cool sometimes."

It had been so long since he last spoke to Ambrose and it really did drive home how long he had been here. It had all been like some trippy dream so far, with the unreal becoming possible and in some cases normality. You could almost imagine you'd wake up someday.

In response to Angelina, he nodded and gave her a warm smile "Nice to meet you too miss." it crossed his mind then that the brown haired woman could possibly be one of the new islanders he had been seeing around of late.

He spoke to Ambrose again "Please tell me that your ears also seem to have a mind of their own? Mine keep giving away what I'm thinking, I watched them in the mirror" Pyroth was very good at keeping his emotions quiet normally but this ears and tail business was throwing that old expertise off.

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose never imagined how nice it could be to have a kindred soul going through remarkably similar changes at about the same rate. Even talking about some of the little random things - things he never thought about other people really understanding quite the same.

If Angelina had been feeling better, he might have been able to really loosen up around teh guy who had managed to make him feel slightly uncomfortable one of the first time they spoke.

"You're telling me about taking a long time to dry." Ambrose made a face. "And salt water is even worse." He gave a quick shake at just the thought - it clung and made it stick to itself, and then tangle. Ambrose's pelt was already thicker than Pyroth's. "And the ... shaking.. it's embarrassing." He raised a hand to the back of his head, scratching behind his large ear, which gave an emphatic flick.

"And Yes. Yes... they do. Quite a bit." He looked over to Angelina, a panting smile. "Though I'm sure that someone who watches me would know better than I."

He glanced down at the soup again. Admittedly, he wouldn't want to touch it any more either. "I can get you something else...? They've got cereal.. oatmeal?"

Angelina Swanson
"Nothing sounds very good..." she started, but before she could even get through the sentance what little color was left in her face drained quickly. "Ambrose I think its happening..." a small hint of a releaved smile came to her lips, but quickly faded as she began to shake quite violently.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth grinned slightly, his fur didn't agree with showers very much, seeming to have been more designed for dust, but he'd be damned if anyone would catch him rolling in dust, so showers it was. "I go through so much shampoo." he admitted grudgingly "Only to get sand in my fur the very next day." Fur was more high maintainence than he could have guessed. As for the shaking, Pyroth could have laughed out loud, it was acutely embarrassing when you were on your own, but to know someone else also had the urge to shake themselves dry made it that bit more palatable. "Damn right it's embarrassing, I got such a fright the first time I went for a swim and came out again, I was put off swimming for a week. It's like a nervous twitch you can't do much about."

He was about to say more when his attention was drawn to Angelina. He had a good idea what could be the "happening" she spoke of and he froze, suddenly not sure if there was anything he could do.

It was scary how just the memory of the change could make you panicky.

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose laughed along with Pyroth at the mention of shampoo. "No kidding! Thank goodness they keep it stocked here - I think I go through a whole bottle every few days...." He cut himself off and his face went slack as Angelina spoke up and began to shudder.

"Angelina?!" His fur raised in agitation, and his hands went to her shoulders as he tried to hold her, looking around frantically for something that might help her. "It... now? You're sure?"

IF he hadn't been so worried he would have realized that he almost sounded like an expecting father.... only the note in his voice spoke more of fear and anxiety than excitement.

He ran his hands up and down her arms quickly. "How you doing, love? Hold in there.. I'm here." His ears were pressed back against his head, tail seeking shelter between his legs.

Angelina Swanson
Either Angelina couldn't hear them, or couldn't respond...because as she clutched to Ambrose for support, her eyes unfocused. She put a death grip on Ambrose as her shaking quickly developed into what looked like a seizure.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth's own ears snapped back as far as they could go, apprehension filling him, he had often wondered how worrying it would be to witness the distress of someone else suffering at the brutal hands of those serums but now found out that he didn't want to know the helplessness.

He got to his feet, not able to simply sit there and watch, but after a moment realised that he wasn't much use in either position. He felt slightly intrusive but couldn't help where he had ended up. It brought back the magnitude of what they were doing on the island and set his teeth on edge, he had been so complancent but now began to worry about the next change that he might be forced through.

Still, all that was irrelevant for now, he simply wished that Angelina's trans. would be quick, smooth and painless. "Thank the gods it's usually over quickly" he said, his tone deeply concerned.

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose nodded dumbly to Pyroth's words as he was on his feet and gently eased her onto the ground, squatting down by her side.

"Angelina? Angelina? Can you hear me? I'm right here... I'm not leaving your side..."

But something was wrong. She convulsed, shook for a good several seconds, her eyelids fluttering and then shutting as her breathing became ragged, but she was otherwise nonresponsive.

A whimper escaped Ambrose's lips. She was burning to the touch, sweaty, but she seemed to have passed out. This wasn't right. This wasn't right at all.

"Angelina?!" This time there was a frantic note in his voice. She lay still, no hair growing or thickening, no changing nails.... just ragged breathing that continued.. He watched her with baited breath, never hoping before to want to see the changes begin - if only to cure her of this 'illness.' But he watched, and with every ragged breath she breathed his own heart seemed to seize tighter. THis was taking too long. Far too long.

"God... I thought that her second injection was going to make her better...." Ambrose began talking quickly. "They said it was late... that's why she was getting sick, probably... but that this would fix it." He ran a hand through his hair, nervous as he shook her gently - to no response. "But it's been two days since then.... God, I don't want to lose you.... not again, Angelina..."

He licked his lips and looked around again, then back to Pyroth. She was still lying there - still breathing, thank god.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth looked on, equally concerned as Angelina didn't seem to progress through the changes. This made the fur on the back of Pyroth's neck stand up, worried him. This wasn't the way it had gone for him and didn't seem the way it should go for anyone. He headed a few steps closer to the two and with a apprehensive look at Angelina, she had received a second injection? Perhaps there were complications?

He caught Ambrose's worried look and it was what prompted him to say what was on his mind.

"I think we should get her up to the labs, they essentially caused this, they better be able to put it right."

He didn't trust the scientists much, but in a situation like this, it seemed they were the only ones capable of doing anything about it.

And in case Ambrose required his help to move Angelina, should they have to take her up to the laboratory, he moved over to stand just off to one side of her, his ears still giving away his worry, even if his composed calm exterior did not.

Ambrose Maurlias
Ambrose swallowed hard, nodding. He couldn't quite find the words to say - they were catching in his throat. Beneath this thick coat of fur, however, he was blanched. To Pyroth's acute nose, fear washed over him.

Ambrose had been able to carry her short distances between the duplexes and the cafeteria... but he wouldn't pretend to be overly strong - and all the way to the labs he could use an extra set of arms.

"Y... you're probably right." He finally stuttered out. "God, I hope you're right and they can.... help her."

With Pyroth's aide, he carefully lifted her from the shoulders and began to tote her towards the labs.

They'd help her... they'd have to be able to.

Once they were there, Ambrose thanked Pyroth deeply, assuring him he'd let him know how things turned out as he waited by the gates, knowing someone would come out soon.

Pyroth Ignatius
Pyroth was worried for both of them as he helped carry Angelina up to the labs, fear wasn't a scent he was used to but it was unmistakeable from Ambrose. The labs had to be able to help her, after all, they had surprised everyone with their capibility to alter human genetics. They had to be able to. "They've surprised me so far, they might just surprise us again."

When they arrived, Pyroth watched them go in, himself slightly guilty about being glad he didn't have to go in there again, he had been in once, that was enough. He had left Ambrose and Angelina with his best wishes, and headed back up to his deplex for the time being, making note to find them both later and see how things went.

The whole event had made him worried for the future, some old fears he had pushed aside returning, ones such as "what happens if the whole experiment goes wrong?"

It was concerning.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:57 pm
Feeling Helpless...
Ambrose takes Angelina to the labs to try to get her help.... while feeling helpless himself in that he can't do anything more or even be there for her

Ambrose paced nervously in front of the tall gate that smelled strongly of Ozone. Even stepping close to the monumental structure set his fur on edge. Despite his anxiety and desperation, he was smart enough not to touch the fence, which promised to delivery a severe shock.

However, the small measure of discretion in not gripping the electrified fence certainly did not characterize a calm demeanor.

"AUBREY!" Ambrose yelled towards the gate. "WHERE ARE YOU! SOMETHING' WRONG!!!!"

He whined, paced again, and looked down to Angelina's quivering, unconscious form.

He wheedled and yelled to the unfeeling gates. With every passing moment his agitation and concern rising.

Finally, Ambrose's words seemed to fail, articulation waning at his raw emotion. Loosening losee this emotion in a single soulful note, Ambrose lifted his short muzzle to the gates and gave a penetrating howl.

Aubrey emerged from the Labs, bags under her eyes and her hair lookig more firzzy and frazzled than usual. "What in the bloody hell is going on out here?" she growled, trying to run a hand through her hair and then pullling on her hat.

She came to the gate and pounded on the controls. There was an electronic buzz and Aubrey pulled open the deactivated gate for Ambrose, giving the woman in her arms a puzzled look.

Angelina was scooped up (carefully) into Ambrose's arms as soon as he saw the front door slide open.

"What's going on?!" Ambrose countered, frenetic. "Angelina! Something's wrong with her! SHe didn't change after the injection - she just got more and more sick! She's burning up, unconscious, her breathing is ragged-" He implored Aubrey.

"Help her! Please! Whatever you did..."

Jesus Christ could anything else go wrong this week?

Aubrey made a growl in her throat and flipped open her phone. "Someone get me a stretcher down to the front gates and I mean NOW!" she snapped into the phone.

"We'll do our best, Mr. Maurlias."

Ambrose was wringing his hands as the stretcher was brought out and Angelina was placed upon it, hovering hardly a foot from the table or Aubrey, or both if he could manage it.

"What's wrong with her, Aubrey? Why is she still sick?" His voice sounded more like a canine whine than his normal, strong tone.

"She... she just... fell unconscious.... she's been getting worse -not better!"

Aubrey gently put her hands on Ambrose's shoulders. "Take her to Exam Room 14," she told the technitions who were manning the stretcher. "Get her on a saline IV and run a tox screen, I'l be up there ASAP."

Aubrey held Ambrose back if he tried to follow. "I don't know, Mr. Muarlias."

Ambrose anxiously looked over Aubrey's shoulders to where the attendants were wheeling her away.

"But.... But I.... but I need to know." He shifted from foot to foot, ears drooped and tail tucked. "Can I go with her? I want to be there. I want to help her.... how can I Help her, Aubrey? I don't want to lose her again!"

Aubrery frowned but didn't release her hands off his shoulders. "I'm sorry, Ambrose, there's nothing you can do. Look, I'll go tend to her right and try to figure out what's wrong, okay? You should just... go back and wait to hear from me."

"What? No, I can't just go back. Please? I'm worried about her! I can't just go back to the duplex and.... and sit there! Let me help..... or something! Please? At least let me know she'll be alright?"

Ambrose normally wouldn't be panicking quite so much if Angelina had just been sick.... but there were so many unknown here.... this "process" so experimental. At the mention Aubrey had told him earlier that lack of injections might cause cancer... putting them through something that had never been believed possible (morality aside). This was no flu, no pneumonia. This was... something.... other. A creeping, mysterious ailment that in Ambrose's mind could as easily result in death... horrid mutation... His mind seemed to be finishing the scenario with the most unpleasant possible concludements.

"Aubrey, I lost her once... I can't lose her again..."

Aubrey gently tried to push him back through the gates. "I'm sorry, Amrbose..." She was trying to be stoic, but her voice waivered a bit seeing the desperation in Amrbrose's eyes. "I can't let you into the labs. Now please...let me go tend to her."

"But I've been there before! I won't get in the way! Please, let me help. Let me be there with her." No matter that the closest thing Ambrose had to a medical degree was a B in Freshman Biology.

Aubrey kept pushing him back. "No, Ambrose, not until I can figure out whats wrong with her,' her voice was more firm now. "Please, now, before I have to take more dratsic measures?" She gave him a pointed look.

His face fell as the warning stung him. Ambrose took a step back as if she had struck him, looking hurt. The sight was rather reminiscient of a beaten dog.

Finally he clenched his jaw and crossed his arm, turning his back so she wouldn't see the wetness of his eyes.

"It... is there at least... a waiting room.. or something...?"

"Yes, your duplex. I can buzz you as soon as I know something." She closed the gate behind him and reactivated the electricity. "I promise," she said, then turned and rushed back into the building.

Ambrose sighed, loosed a few whimpers as he watched her retreating figure go through the mirrored doors of the facility.

He sighed, clasped his hands behind his back, and paced in front of the gates for a good hour before finally growling in frustration and stalking, as 'suggested', back to his duplex, hackles bristled.

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:12 pm
Ambrose paced restlessly in his duplex. He had no idea how long it had been since his eventual return here after finally abandoning his position by the front (electrified) gate and returning to his room as he had been instructed when Aubrey left.

He hadn't slept, he hadn't even really sat down for more than five minutes in a stretch.

How was she doing? Was she getting better? Had she stabilized? Would she still be human when he saw her next?

All these questions and more tumbled through Ambrose's mind as he wore ruts in his carpet.

What was taking so long....?

Was that a good sign...? Or a bad?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:28 pm
Aubrey sat heavily down in her office, yawnly widely and fighting the urge to just lay her head down on her desk and falling asleep. She reviewed the file she had started on Angelna and snarled to herself, knowing the call she was about to make.

She made sure the webcam was off, she certainly didn't want to be seen looking as razzled as she did, and dialed Ambrose's duplex. She heard the beep indicated she was connected. "Mr. Maurlias?"

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:35 pm
Ambrose almost thought that he was imagining the voice. It certainly wouldn't have been the first time that he had thought he had heard Aubrey's phantom voice drifting on the air on the intercom.

A moment later, Ambrose realized that it was no hallucination and he sprung to his feet. He didn't even remember the steps he took between his perch on the bedside and the intercom.

"Dr. Lockheart? How is she? What's happening?"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:37 pm
"She's stabilized, Mr. Muarlias," she said, trying to keep her voice professional and neutral. "We don't know anything else at the time. I'll contact you again when we know anything."  

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:44 pm
"Stabilized...?" Ambrose hesitated on the words. That word was so vague... "What... what do you mean? Is she alright? Is she better? Is she still feverish? Is she in pain? Do you know what's wrong? Is she conscious? When can I see her?"  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:46 pm
Aubrey rubbed her temples, not in the mood for Ambrose's clingy desperation. "Her fever is down, we have her on medication to make sure she's not in any pain." She sighed. "You can see her, perhaps, when we know more. For now... well for now I don't think that would be advised. She probably wouldn't even know you were there."  

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:48 pm
His ears drooped. There was good news in the words. She was alive, they had brought down the fever, but Aubrey spoke nothing of a long-term remedy. "I... I don't care if she doesn't know I'm there.... I'd like to be with her if she's ill. I don't care if she's asleep."  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:50 pm
"I'm sorry, thats just not possible right now. We have ... we have some procedures we'll have to adminster to her today. Maybe once we know alittle a more, Mr. Muarlias."  

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:52 pm
He frowned, shoving his hands into his pockets. Procedures. How ambiguous.

"I'm sorry.... I'm just... I'm worried about her, Aubrey. I know you know how greatly I care about her. It is driving me crazy to be in the dark and not be there for her."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:54 pm
She sighed audibly over te speaker. "I know you care about her, Mr. Muarlias. But if you want what's best for her, you'll not get in the way."  

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:58 pm
He scowled petulantly. "I do. I do. I just.... ergggh. When Can I expect to see her? So.. So I'm not on pins and needles in anticipation? Or... Or I could just... come... and not get in the way....?"

He knew he sounded desperate. He didn't care.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:01 pm
Aubrey furrowed her brow. "I don't know!" she finally said, in a tone that indicated that was probaly the real answer for every question Ambrose had been asking. "I'll call you when you can, Mr. Muarlias. Good day." And before he had a chance to reply, the connection went dead.  

Aubrey Lockheart
Crew

Ambrose Maurlias
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:10 pm
Ambrose gave a strangled, exasperated growl as the connection cut off, leaving him almost as in the dark as he was before her call.

Now what was he supposed to do? Wait in longer anticipation by the buzzer? Go back to stalking the gate at the labs which would surely not give him any more information? Sleep? Unlikely.

Maybe he should try to get something to eat. Try to get his mind off of it. Like that was possible. He glanced to the epee that sat propped in the corner of the open closet.

But if he left the room... how would he hear an update on her condition... if and when it happened?

He sighed, slumping onto the bed and looking out the window forlornly towards the cafeteria, his stomach growling.

He hoped she was okay.... she had to be eventually... right?

The Duplexes

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 47 48 49 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games