Reply Extreme & Ritual Modification
Tongue Splitting - What do you think? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Haki Ghost Jouno

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:11 pm
What method of doing it is better? The lazer is supposed to heal quicker (so I hear), but it costs as high up as $1000, depending on who does it. And just to simply cut it... if anyone knows of a place where I can get it done reliably and safely? Hard to find the right places... Plus cutting it makes it heal for quite a bit of time.

What do you think? Just need your opinion and any nice facts you are able to turn up would be great help. smile  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:58 pm
"Some people have split their tongue by getting a large number of tongue piercings, stretching them, and then cutting between them. The cutting is usually done by tying off using sutues (or dental floss). While this is a slow method, it can be gradual, allowing you time to adjust. However, it can also mean weeks of EXTREME discomfort.

Contact an oral surgeon for references if you want to have it done professionally. Dr. Lawrence Busino in Albany NY has done more than any other doctor in North America, but any oral surgeon that uses a laser should be able to do it with ease, if their ethics allow it. A doctor will normally charge between $500 and $1000 for this procedure. The lasered procedure takes a week or two for primary healing, with full healing in about a month. There are also some private practitioners willing to do this procedure using cautery tools."

That's what I found at BME in their encyclopedia in regards to tongue splitting.
Link to entry
The lizard man went to the said surgeon.
His entry on it can be found here.

Hope that helps. smile  

Warninglv100
Crew

Haki Ghost Jouno

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:54 am
I remember reading the encyclopedia a good while ago, but I haven't in a while. I don't remember reading the surgeon's name, so thanks for posting it up. smile

Do you have any opinions on which procedure?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:16 pm
I don't know much aside from those things I've read, but it seems like the laser method would be better for a few reasons.
1. Less pain. (Acording to my reading).
2. A cleaner procedure, so that will reduce a contamination and possible infection risk. (Tying off or cutting sounds less sanitary to me.)
3. Profession oral surgeons do the laser procedure.

Down sides:
1. Sounds like quite a bit of money.
2. It may have to be re-cut to keep from growing back. (So more money there).

That would be my opinion on it since I have not had it done. I don't think I would consider it for myself, but it does look pretty cool.  

Warninglv100
Crew

Zombina Corpse
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:33 pm
I hear you have to get it re-split every few weeks because the tongue heals so quickly, as with other scars in the mouth do.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:23 pm
If you don't seperate the cut it will heal back up. You're supposed to get the inner-sides stitched so that they heal on their own (or so I've been told).
I wondered about the "needing to get it done again and again" thing. But I've read where people didn't like it, and cut it a second time to get the tongue to heal together. If the tongue healed so fast that they had to repeatedly do it over and over to keep it, I don't really know if they would need to get a procedure to reverse it. But then again, this is stuff I've been told, so I can't be completely sure. neutral sweatdrop  

Haki Ghost Jouno

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:09 pm
It seems like if you get it done right the first time, you won't have to get it re-cut, unless you want it deeper or such, or not happy with it.

So, are you serious about getting this done? or just looking into it?  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:24 pm
I'm serious about trying to get this. Been wanting it for two years and I'll still have to wait for money(if I do get the laser procedure).
I'm just trying to choose how, not if. sweatdrop  

Haki Ghost Jouno

Warninglv100
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:41 pm
Waiting can suck, but it'll give you plenty of time to think about it, compare the pros and cons and such.

Little info I just saw in the BME QOD:
" Out of the tongue splits I've seen, the sutured (stitched) tongue end up looking the nicest in the long run, with that nice natural rounded edge. "
Lori St. Leone  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:33 am
Save up money and do it with laser, I as well don't know too much about it, but in general, I'm always for getting anything to do with your body done by the most professional person you can find, even if that means saving for years and flying half way around the globe. Also, saving the money gives you more time for research and thoughts, so it's an other plus side.

Good luck with it, on some people it really looks great!  

qiU

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:48 pm
Laser is not supposed to be the best method.
You would think so though.
Its extremely hard to find someone who will actually do it for you.
And it has a higher chance of the tongue healing back together.

IF you find someone very experenced to cut it, that would be better. You still heal extremely quickly.
My friend Chris who tattoos at another shop in the city got it done when I was supposed to(could not afford the $350 at the time).
His healed in about two weeks-ish.
But he also got it done by Tom Brazda when he was doing guest work at Strange City.

If you really want it done, seek Tom out.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:03 am
Tongue splitting intrigues me, but I wouldn't get it done myself. And here's a picture, because I love pictures. I just googled it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

-Panty.Waste-

Lady Detarra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 pm
Personally I'm not the biggest fan of it but hey if ya like it go you ^_^. Its just a total butt-shrivel seeing it done hahaha.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:10 pm
--
&& IF THERE IS NO LIGHT TO SPARE
I SHALL LOVE HIM AT THE SPEED OF DARK

it sounds odd. o.O;
I wonder what this mod would lead to....
in other words, what else would people think to split?
personally, I think it's a bit too unnatural.
but it could still look awesome~
heart

xFairytale

popcornsharingbox

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 am
xFairytale
--
&& IF THERE IS NO LIGHT TO SPARE
I SHALL LOVE HIM AT THE SPEED OF DARK

I wonder what this mod would lead to....
in other words, what else would people think to split?

heart

Ever heard of a subincision? wink  
Extreme & Ritual Modification

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas