Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:29 pm
I imagine at this moment you are saying to yourself:
"Wait a minute! Fungi aren't plants!"
Well...you are absolutely correct! They are not plants. But sometimes people who love plants also have this strange affection for the Mushrooms and Slime Molds of the world. If you are one of those people, you probably would enjoy learning about a new fungus every so often. Lets say...every week!

So here they are, ready for your fungal-loving admiration!

And just to note: Yes, I am perfectly aware that slime molds are not true fungi. They are actually fungal-like protists. But for our purposes, they will be included in this section. Thank you for your understanding. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:39 pm
November 26- December 2, 2007

Something a bit festive for the holiday!

Cladonia rangifera

User Image

Reindeer lichens

Belongs to the family Cladoniaceae
Lichens are a mutualistic association between a fungus and an alga (or cyanobacterium). This one in particular is found in the alpine tundra and is, indeed, eaten by reindeer. There are several species of reindeer lichens but most are slow growing (3-5 mm per year).  

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

Fern Alli
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:48 pm
December 3- December 9, 2007

Terrified that you will receive a dark lump in your stocking this Christmas? Well here’s a coal that you never would have expected!

Daldinia concentrica

User Image

Common names: coal fungus, carbon balls, cramp balls, or King Alfred's cakes

Family Xylariaceae

‘Coal fungus’?! You might ask. Why? Daldinia has a brittle carbon texture quite like true coal. Yes but ‘Cramp balls’?! There is a silly belief that if you carry them in your pocket, you will never get leg cramps. Well, who in the world is King Alfred?! Here’s the story: “As the legend goes, King Alfred was fleeing a battle with the Danes in Somerset when he took refuge in an old woman's house. The old woman, not knowing he was the king, left Alfred in charge of watching some cakes in the oven. Of course, he knew nothing about ovens and didn't really know what he was supposed to do. He fell asleep, and the cakes burned. The old woman scolded him soundly for being lazy, but later she was probably sorry about "raking him over the coals" when she found out he was the king!” [Thanks to tomvolkfungi.net]

These bizarre dark balls get even stranger. For like some woody plants, this fungus will actually develop growth rings, one for each season’s growth.User Image These concentric rings are actually layers of reproductive structures: flask shaped structures called perithecium. User Image
If you ever think you find this fungus, slice it open and look for the rings.

These carbon balls are found on wood and cause a type of rot called soft rot, making the wood (I’m sure its obvious…) very squishy.

That didn’t really help put your fears to rest about coal appearing in your stocking but at least you won’t find this fungus there instead!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:58 pm
December 10 – December 16, 2007

“For the tip of your tree”
Astraeus hygrometricus

User Image

Common name: earthstar, barometer earthstar

Family: Astraeaceae

This amazing fungus is found in dry sandy areas and often forms mycorrhizal relationships with the roots of many types of trees. They can be up to 2 inches across. Why are they called barometer earthstars? The rays (arms) of the fungus react to the amount of water in the air. When it is dry the arms fold in around the center ‘puffball-like’ portion of the fungus; when it is wet the arms unfold. The earthstar is elevated as the arms unfold and make it that much easier for the wind to carry off its spores.

If you find a specimen of this fungus, try placing it in a wet environment and watch the magic.  

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:10 pm
December 17- December 23, 2007

The Dangers of Amanita:

Some of you may find mushrooms to be cool for reasons other than mycological interest. Let’s say ‘recreation.’ And you think it is perfectly safe to go a-picking in the forest for all your uses. Let me be blunt: it isn’t. Think you know what you are doing? I doubt it. All the brilliant mycologists that I have ever met (yes, I know some) will tell you that even they are wary about such activities. And if people who stare at mushrooms all day long are careful, you probably should be too. Family Amanitaceae sports some dangerous species that you need to be aware of. For your gastrointestinal ease and…life.

Part I:
Amanita muscaria var. muscaria
User Image
Common name: Fly Agaric

I’m sure you recognize this mushroom. It has a blood red cap with white patches and white gills on the underside. The stalk is a white or cream. The cap can get up to 20cm wide. They emerge from the ground in a white ‘egg’ User Image
shape. These mushrooms can be found from July to October all over North America. They can be found under pines, spruces, birches, and oaks. And now that it sounds as though I am telling all the important collection information, let me explain a few things more about it. It is called ‘fly agaric’ because it was used to kill flies. For, in truth, this mushroom is POISONOUS! It contains the neurotoxin Ibotenic acid and is unpredictable in its effects. It can cause nausea, sweating, salivation, and amnesia. In serious poisonings, it may cause seizures and comas. Such conditions can last from 30 minutes to several days. But you are lucky, you more than likely won’t die from this Amanita. Here’s the real issue: the amount and ratio of chemical compounds per mushroom varies widely from region to region, season to season. So even if you knew how much your body could take, you don’t know from one mushroom to the next.
User Image
If you live in Siberia, please excuse this overzealous warning. But your mushroom relation is a bit different. Some groups in Siberia use this mushroom for religious practices but this is because it is only the mushrooms found in Siberia that actually will induce the legendary hallucinations.

This mushroom is present in all sorts of movies, books, art, etc. Strange isn’t it, to choose something so poisonous for the icon of the mushroom world. At least they didn’t choose the ‘death angel.’ But that is an Amanita as well… and you’ll get to meet it very soon…

Now that I’ve scared the wits out of you I’ll sum up: Don’t gnaw on the mushrooms that you find in the woods.

User Image Thank you Santa!  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:55 pm
December 31, 2007 – January 6, 2008

Tastes of the Mushroom World

Alright, so I just got done telling you how bad it is to eat mushrooms you find in the woods. sweatdrop I’m going to be terrible and now contradict myself. Some fungi are just easier to identify than others. And I know some of you enjoy a good fried mushroom every now and again. So, here are some tasty friends. I’ll let you know the look alikes, just in case. Are your forks ready?

Serving I:
Laetiporus sulphureus

User Image

Common name: Chicken of the Woods

These are easy to find in the woods, a beacon of blazing orange and yellow. They form flesh, flat, fan shaped, overlapping “shelves” of orange-red to orange-yellow. The undersides have yellow pores (not gills) as is a characteristic of the family Polyporaceae. You can find them attached to trunks or logs of various trees from May to November. Large clusters can be formed (surpassing 50 pounds) and can be up to 30 inches wide.
User Image
It does indeed taste like chicken! But be sure to harvest young rosettes and tender edges instead of older, tougher specimens. Young ones are rather soft in texture. Don’t eat it raw! How do you prepare it? In any fashion you would prepare actual chicken. And the clusters may even be frozen for later use. This may be an ideal substitution for a vegetarian lifestyle.
User Image Mmm...tasty

Just to warn, some people do have allergic reactions to this mushroom. A swollen lip to nausea. You may want to try a small portion first.  

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm
January 7- January 13, 2008

“For Lashleta and her sister”

Marasmius oreades
User Image

Common name: Fairy Ring mushroom

User Image
This mushroom you undoubtedly have seen forming mysterious circles in your lawn. They have a bell shaped cap, buff to tan in color, with off-white gills and a rubbery stalk. Not a particularly glamorous mushroom is it? But that isn’t really why this fungi is so interesting. It is interesting because it makes the circular pattern in the grass. Why does it do this? It is much simpler than you might imagine. When a spore (the fungi equivalent to a seed) lands on the soil and begins to grow, it expands in every direction, forming a perfect circle at times. If conditions are wonderful the mass of hyphae (fungi equivalent to roots)(sort of) will continue to grow outward, maintaining the circle. Mushrooms are really the fungi’s method of reproduction and are produced out of the mass of hyphae. Well, it turns out that with M. oreades, the hyphae in the center of the ring actually dies off, leaving the outer most layer to produce the mushrooms. And so, with a sprinkling of fairy dust, you have an amazing mushroom circle.
User Image
That’s not all, this fungi is capable of resurrection. When the mushrooms disappear and the fungus seems to have died, normally due to drought, any instance when enough water is again present will bring it back to life. Not all fungi are capable of this. And it can revive itself numerous times.

Now you may have guessed why the common name is Fairy Ring but I’ll explain just in case. It originates in the olden days of Europe where people apparently wandered about in the woods and stumbled upon these mysterious circles of mushrooms. There must have been some fairies or wood nymphs dancing about just then inside the mushroomed ring, using the naturally made circle for their magical purposes. Oh yes. So I’d keep on eye on any rings you might find. Just in case.

Also, these mushrooms are edible. (And probably should be under the “Tastes of the Mushroom World" section.) They are not for two important reasons: they can be challenging to identify and they aren’t always considered to have an amazing taste. It does have something of a crunchy texture and may be cooked or fried. There is even a recipe for fairy ring mushroom cookies! And I’m just nice enough to tell you that can be found in Hope Miller's Cookbook of Wild & Cultivated Mushroom Recipes. But be wary of two things: there are several other fungi species that commonly form ‘fairy rings’ and areas where M. oreades is found may have had chemical herbicides applied. And you probably don’t want to eat herbicides.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:05 pm
January 14- January 20, 2008

Ramaria araiospora
User Image
Common name: Light Red Coral

This is a beautiful example of the bizarre shapes that fungi can take. This red branching coral can be found under western hemlock trees from September to November. Found mainly in the Pacific Northwest and California, there are a few look alikes that are poisonous (R.subbotrytis; R. formosa). But this species is considered good eating. This coral is very fleshy and produces colorless warty spores that result in a yellowish spore print.
User Image
Cool, aren’t they!

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:16 pm
January 21- January 27, 2008

Hemitrichia serpula
User Image
Common name:Pretzel Slime

This interesting slime is one you are certain to recognize. It has a large, pretzel like network of thick white-yellow strands. From June to August, in most of North America, you will find it on dead leaves, wood, and other plant litter. Spores develop in a golden yellow mass along the branches.
User Image

I wonder how it would taste with some butter and salt!  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:44 pm
January 28- February 3, 2008

Dangers of Amanita: Part II

Amanita pantherina
User Image
Common name: Panther

Having a brown cap with white patches, this is yet another poisonous member of the Amanita family. It has white gills, a white stalk, and a white ‘veil’. In truth, the veil is really a thin layer that surrounds the entire mushroom when it is in the early ‘egg’ stage. As the mushroom grows larger, the veil will break and leave the white patches on the cap of the mushroom. The remainder of it can normally be found in a band around the stalk. User Image

Panther mushrooms are commonly found under conifers, though I have personally found it under our porch. There are plenty of look alikes, but considering that the Panther is known to be toxic, I’m sure you’ll be alright.
User Image
Do you see the veil?

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

Tum-thalas
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:24 pm
February 4 – February 10, 2008

Mutinus elegans
User Image
Common name: Elegant Stinkhorn

In the family Phallaceae (named after something I’d rather not discuss), this fungi is a stunning representative of the terribly foul smelling stinkhorns. Stalk-like with a whitish cup around the base, the tip of the pinkish fungi is may be covered greenish-brown slime. This green slime is actually a mass of spores and the smell attracts the insects that will spread the spores about.

You may smell its foul stench from July to September in wood debris or leaf litter, but it is just as likely they will appear in parks and gardens in urban areas.

There are a whole series of legends and stories about this type of fungi but are not quite appropriate for this type of story time. If you feel so inclined to look them up, do so. Other stinkhorn relations are consumed often in Asian countries.
User Image
You would think that they would taste as badly as they smell.  
Library

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games