Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply The Foreign Languages Guild
The Worst Sounding Language? Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm
apiyo
I don't really like Portuguese. I don't know why but every time I hear it, I cringe. Italian isn't all that great either.

I don't really like them either. Italian annoys me a little, and so does Spanish. xp Well at least the variety from Mexico…It sounds alright when my Guatemalan friends speak it but otherwise, no thanks.
I will have to listen to Castilian Spanish soon though…

Nicnak77
ARIBIC I can't stand that language...

It’s Arabic, with an “a”. I actually like Arabic, and a bunch of the Semitic Languages. XD They seem to be sort of “acquired tastes” for many people though…

Eccentric Iconoclast
Oh, but it sounds like their mouths are filled with pebbles only in the most pleasant way.

-likes Danish-

*nods and smiles in agreement*

[NightShade]
well, worst sounding language is a matter of opinion. sweatdrop
i vote german.
when my friend speaks german, no matter what he says, it sounds nazi. xd
it's like, he says "be right back i'm going to pee" and i hear "KILL THE JEWS!!!" or something.
i do not support nazism in any way. the jew thing was just an example. don't ban me please. sweatdrop

Why so much hatred against German? gonk Have you ever thought about what English sounds like?

And if it weren’t for Holocaust, you would never have made that association between the language and Jew-killing.

*really likes German*

I think some people just seem to have an issue with glottal sounds in general…

---

I don’t really like Armenian that much, and some Slavic languages just aren’t really…euphonic. (I know I know…Armenian isn’t Slavic…)

Oh, I hate Yiddish. whee Ick.

French is fine, but sometimes, it just has the potential to annoy. My proffessor will be talking, and I'll just be in a weird mood, and be thinking "No. You sound like a jerk. Now quiet." I've never really heard Parisian French though. So far my French teachers have either been from the Aquitaine region in France, Belgium, or Québec.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:23 pm
Once I thought Polish was an ugly language. Nowadays I love it. xp I think the only language in which I can't find any beauty is Spanish. It just annoys me very much. sweatdrop  

Sano Parmandil

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Shirofukurou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:14 am
Sano Parmandil
Once I thought Polish was an ugly language. Nowadays I love it. xp I think the only language in which I can't find any beauty is Spanish. It just annoys me very much. sweatdrop

Don't worry, even Polish themselves can twist their tongues speaking Polish language quite slowly xD

And, yeah, Spanish... I forgot about Italian! Last summer I was in Rome for a week: Italian in the streets, Italian on the radio, and coming back home in the evening - Italian on the TV... SINGING o_O lots of singing... @_@

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:40 am
JeSuisMustapha
I am Polish and German eek

Born in Poland, raised in Germany or the other way round? The thing is you can feel like/be in favour of Polish or German - never both and the same, believe me.  

Shirofukurou

Sano Parmandil

6,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Junior 100
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:25 pm
Czarna Lisiczka
Sano Parmandil

Don't worry, even Polish themselves can twist their tongues speaking Polish language quite slowly xD

I've heard Chopin's songs for voice and piano and I have to say I'm unsure on how someone could pronounce that. o_O  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:22 pm
Hmm, I can't say I hate many languages. However, there are dialects of a language that are really harsh to the ears.

Mandarin Chinese
The standard dialect is one of the most harshest-sounding Chinese dialects I have ever heard. It's thick, it's whiny, it's guttural, and for some strange reason, it's the dialect that all beginner students of Mandarin study (I mean, of course, it's the standard dialect). Like others in this post have stated, it does sound like cats meowing.

Vietnamese
A majority of the rural dialects tend to be whiny. Vietnamese is a tonal language, but in the rural dialects, the vowels are strongly emphasized with sharp tone inflection (which makes it sometimes sound like cats meowing). Unfortunately, due to the war that caused many rural Vietnamese to flee their homeland, the rural dialects are the most common dialects outside of Vietnam. People who speak standard Vietnamese (which is common among educated folk and people in the North) speak a much prettier form of Vietnamese, in my opinion.

MiasmaMoon

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:24 pm
Sano Parmandil
Czarna Lisiczka
Sano Parmandil

I've heard Chopin's songs for voice and piano and I have to say I'm unsure on how someone could pronounce that. o_O
I've only ever seen Polish when it's written, and when I see it my brain just sort of shorts out... whee

It looks like a tongue twister, it probably sounds cool though. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:51 pm
I hate when people say German sounds ugly cause it's just that they've never heard it spoken by an actual PERSON, just in some bad media stereotype. (Hell even in those Pimsleur CDs they have really masculine, deep voice people even for the girl and they always sound angry)

Plus, I can only hear so much Korean. I love the language, I wanted to learn it, but for some reason my ears tire of it real fast it's just REALLY choppy. They have amazing movies though biggrin

Thai sounds..... wierd..... sorta like Korean (as in, not bad but i can only hear so much of it)

And people are going to say I'm crazy, but FRENCH. I CAN NOT STAND FRENCH and I speak it very well. I don't think it sounds pretty and feminine... i think it sounds harsh and masculine, like you're chewing on an onion and have spit in your throat when you have to say that R sound. IT's just...... *shudders*

However, I think that ENGLISH sounds the worst, especially when spoken with an accent like Bush's or like that NYC/Long Island accent (and im sorta insulting myself seeing as half my family lives in Long Island and they all speak like that xD and sometimes I reply with a very long island sounding "Yeah" thats more like a deep "Yeh")

And you peeps think that Polish is like "WOAH" with the pronounciation, try Gaelic (doesn't LOOK hard to pronounce but the pronounciation is the complete opposite of how it's spelled, worse than English xD

I think someone mentioned Portuguese and I rather like the sound of Portuguese, though I'm prob only subconsciously sticking up for my heritage xD But I don't think it sounds bad. I think Italian is the best sounding language though (out of the Romance languages) and Romanian sounds like just plain cool  

The_Brightest_Moon

The_Brightest_Moon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 pm
[NightShade]
i vote german.
it's like, he says "be right back i'm going to pee" and i hear "KILL THE JEWS!!!" or something.
i do not support nazism in any way. the jew thing was just an example. don't ban me please. sweatdrop

I despise you. Thanks for stereotyping a whole race, one that I'm part of. I seriously despise you.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:52 pm
Spanish. I really dislike Spanish! And I'm fully blooded hispanic and it was my first language but forgot how to speak it in pre-school.

It's so...gyah. It's all over the place and it just doesn't flow. I don't like any forms of Spanish.

Though some people keep trying to get me to learn it yet i refuse. I always say: "I wanted to take French in High School!"

My sister:"Where you going to use French in the United States?!"

Me: "In the states next to Canada or in Canada."

Sister: "....They use French?"

My Boyfriend: "Yup. It's like their second language."

Sister's Husband: "It's true"

Felicitystar

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:44 pm
The_Brightest_Moon
[NightShade]
i vote german.

I despise you. Thanks for stereotyping a whole race, one that I'm part of. I seriously despise you.
Yah I'm not alright with that either. We got enough of that crap, and it's been 64 years now, and it needs to stop.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:53 pm
User Image
Yume wo mite Namida shite Kizutsuite mo . . .

~
Mandarin Chinese. Especially in song. It just . . . makes me cringe when I hear it. I'm not particularly fond of Cantonese, either. sad

I used to dislike Russian, but then I heard some Russian songs and the way its sung sounds really pretty.

And also German. While I still don't really like it, I don't hate is as much as I used to.
~
. . . Genjitsu ha gamushara ni kurushi
User Image

Halrenna

speria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:57 pm
It's going to sound weird, but I can't stand French. It just sounds....incomprehensible. Doesn't help that one of my friends keeps forgetting that I don't like French and keeps speaking to me in it.

I know many people have said Spanish but I don't think it sounds ugly at all. But then again, I've been exposed to it all of my life through my family... Whatever, everyone's entitled to their opinions.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:53 pm
To be honest, German scares me. :s

And Mandrin chinese, I don't like the sound of it.  

poppy-dust_addict

Henneth Annun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 pm
Okay I'm starting to think this "I hate German and love French" phenomonon is something that stems from stereotypes that were ingrained in American society during the second world war as part of propoganda.

stare  
The Foreign Languages Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces