Hatted Fatcat

~Lady Kanna~

Anxious Werewolf

21,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:22 am
still in black for my sanity, too much codin.
Kanna's OTHER post because she maxed out the other one.

14. Danger- Word Count: 1183 - 4

Xiao wasn’t sure how long she’d slept. She opened her eyes slowly to the dim room, to the beeping of the machines, and to a shadow looming over her guardian. She closed her eyes again, assuming it to be a doctor, though a while later she thought it a bit odd and opened her eyes again. Doctors didn’t wear dark clothes, and they certainly didn’t loom that close, right? She rubbed the sleep from her eyes, yawning quietly as she fluffed her wings up, her body stiff from bending over. Only then did she look up and meet her eyes with piercing, golden ones. She nearly jumped, and though the stranger kept rigid. Such dark clothes, she looked dangerous…And it wasn’t until Xiao saw the knife at her guardian’s throat that she realized she really was.

She shrieked quietly, pushing back hard as her chair topped, landing flat against the floor before scurrying against the wall. Her breathing was already quick and hard, and it didn’t help when the woman took the knife away, working it through her fingers in an almost magic motion, before she slipped it into a holster on her thigh. Her way of walking was very deliberate, each move decisive and meaningful. It didn’t take long before she was right in front of Xiao, looking down with cold eyes, before she bent down to her level. Xiao had wormed her way as close to the wall as she could get, eyes wide and frightened. This lady….This lady was scary. She emanated danger, despite the fact her blade was sheathed. Xiao didn’t know what to do once their eyes met again, cornered, like a small animal.
“So you’re his precious little girl, huh?” Her voice was steady, though had hints of iron in it. Strong, knowing, just the sort of voice she knew belonged to a strong woman. Though how strong, she had yet to know.
“H-Huh?” Xiao exhaled, still trembling against the wall. She wasn’t going to bring the blade out against her? Wasn’t going to put her life in danger?
“Lion’s girl.” She stated, then welcomed the confusion in Xiao’s eyes. “Ahh, so you don’t know that name…Interesting…” She murmured, a smile crossing her lips. It seemed venomous, though truly warm in a way. Genuine, as it were. Xiao didn’t relax one bit, remaining stiff against the wall. “I guess you know him by Dino then. You’re his precious little princess, right?”
“Y-Yeah…But….Before you called him…” Xiao wrinkled her nose. Lion. She hadn’t heard that name be used before, but come to think of it…Why was this woman so familiar?
“Lion? Ah, I suppose he hasn’t told you, but I’ll let him take care of that eventually. All of us have different names besides our own. I suppose for letting his own secrets slip, I might as well make the playing field a little more even. Rosalie Satre, the Nightingale.” She held her hand out to Xiao’s for a handshake, smiling a little softer. Xiao hesitated before taking it, only to jump back after the slightest brush of fingertips. Cold! Something had to be wrong. She glared up at this dangerous woman, frowning. Why in the world.
“Ohh…Sorry, I guess I forgot. Other hand then?” Xiao hesitated even more before poking at the other hand she was offered. This one was warm. Curious. She shook it without any more hesitation, and this…Rosalie smiled. “I lost my other hand years ago. This one’s just a prosthetic, that’s why.” She hummed, standing up to pace back over to Dino, hands at her hips. Her red hair was most striking, less red actually, more like a deeper wine color. Her manner of talking seemed familiar too, and the lost hand…Was she just a character out of her father’s stories? Or could her father’s stories…have more truth to them? While she was still quaking in fear at the woman’s appearance, she got up quietly, and moved behind her.
“What are you doing here anyway?” She asked, voice still trembling. Rosalie frowned, glancing down at her, fully taking in her clothes and appearance.
“I came to see how he was doing. Seemed I had a little mix up earlier with him, gave him a dose of something I didn’t mean to. I’m sure he’s gotten the antidote by now but..”
“You poisoned him?” Xiao nearly shrieked, horrified, and far more terrified. She was dangerous. Very dangerous indeed.
“I didn’t mean to, okay? It was meant for someone else. I just…roughed him up a little more than I should have, but it’s a game between us, okay? I came to apologize too, but, damn, I guess I owe you one too, don’t I?” She trailed off a bit, face contorting to confusion. “I don’t know your name yet.”
It was blunt, but Xiao huffed, relenting. “Xiao. Just…Xiao. You’d better not hurt daddy again, got it? I’ll…I’ll..!” She’d what? Xiao was anything but dangerous, and she surely was no match for this woman. Nevertheless, she gained a chuckle out of her, and she ruffled her hair the slightest.
“Just like him, huh? You’ve got a good dad. Now come on, your hair’s a mess. Might as well fix it so your papa doesn’t have to see it like that, huh?” She gestured to the chair Xiao had been in earlier. While she hesitated the slightest, her hair was indeed in quite the state, and Rosalie did have a point. She flopped into it, crossing her arms as the older woman came over to begin fixing it. The silence between them remained for quite some time until Xiao finally asked.
“Daddy tells me a lot of stories.” She mumbled, gaining a noise of question from her new hairdresser. “Ones about a revolutionary with red hair that’s missing a hand. One who talks a lot like you.” The hands working with her hair paused for a moment, before starting up again.
“Does he now.” Rosalie murmured, sounding vaguely intrigued. “What other sorts of characters come into these stories. And details, if you’d be a dear.” Xiao thought hard, furrowing her brow the slightest.
“Thieves from foreign lands….A songstress who hates the revolutionary who sings of doom and despair…” She paused, leaning back to look up at Rosalie. “And a prince! A prince who can talk his way in to or out of anything! Dashingly handsome!” The woman cracked up at the last one, eyes bemused with this information.
“Ahh, that would be your father. Mr. Lion, always the smooth talker. The theif would be Snake, and the Songstress would be my sister, Kestrel. We..don’t get along at all.” She adjusted Xiao’s head again, to make her look forward, braiding her locks. “Any other mysterious fellows? Ones who cut off people’s hands?”
“Yeah! Though…He was only at the beginning. Daddy doesn’t bring him up anymore.” She swung her feet off the edge of the chair, continuing to give Rosalie her trust. Perhaps this dangerous woman, although certainly so, wasn’t going to be a danger to her or her father….Though she’d still have to ask about that knife later.

15. Blue- Word Count: 937 - 3

Xiao is actually shocked from the moment they leave the house to the moment they arrive in the building. He’s agreed. She’s going to his work place. Her eyes glitter like the crystal chandelier above their heads, and the rich velvet of the carpet, gilded with golden swirls seems so luxurious. Her father’s wearing his cape and has taken on a much more firm demeanor, almost as if he’s royalty. There’s cheers as they walk in, though they take on a far more curious tone once the eyes of ladies and men alike fall upon her. Suddenly shy, she clings to his cape, wanting to wrap herself up in it. For this occasion Dino has dressed her in her finest clothes, and done her hair carefully. She looks like a princess, and at his side, feels like one too.
There’s a few questions directed at him as they walk through the corridors, the scent of heavy perfume and exotic incense wafting through the air. Each room is just as luxurious as the last, though when they finally arrive in an area meant for tea, Dino bends down and touches her shoulders.
“I’ve got a few things I need to take care of alone, okay? Why don’t you stay here and make some friends, just don’t go upstairs. I won’t be too long, I promise.” He kisses her forehead, smiling. She nods the slightest, and he whisks off, leaving her be. It’s only now that she realizes the design she and Rosalie embroidered into his cape matches the designs spotted around the rooms, the ones that are only on the glass cases holding the finest pottery she’s ever seen. And yet…She feels alone. Eyes are on her at all times, this she is aware of, though they are more curious than anything. She’s free to wander as she sees fit, and few bother her. It’s not until she opens a heavy wooden door in an area far from the entrance, trying to follow Dino’s path, that she finds a room far different.
It’s more comfortable, the exotic scents absent, and books line the shelves. She steps in curiously, careful of her tail trailing behind her. Her wings are tucked tight to her back, and it isn’t until she gains the attention of the room’s main inhabitant that she finally looks up and sees her.
She’s dressed in an elegant blue dress, the color of the ocean on a bright summer’s day. She’s older, though there’s no sign of grey in her golden hair yet. When their eyes meet, Xiao feels like she could drown in the bright azure of her eyes, and tries to lower her own, frightened the slightest. She laughs, voice like bells, which draws the attention of the other ladies, all dressed to the nines in their corsets and bustles.
“Oh child, are you lost?” She asks, setting aside her books to come over to her side. She’s dressed far more conservatively than the others, though Xiao finds herself hesitating to speak. “Who are you looking for?” Her fingers run across the top of her head, though there’s a slight familiarity to them.
“Ah, uhm…” Xiao is wondering how she should answer. Her papa’s name is Dino right? But here he’s called… “The Lion. My papa…” She lowers her eyes again, though can feel the surprise in the room. It’s warm and welcoming, though soon she’s surrounded by a number of the inhabitants.
“Ah, so you’re little Xiao then. Dino’s always talked so fondly of you, though I’d never have thought he’d bring you here of all places…Come child, we can sit while we wait for his meetings to end.” Before Xiao can even begin to answer she’s being cooed at and excitedly chattered to by the other women. They’re all calling her adorable, and begging to play with her or teach her things.
As the time passes, Xiao finds she’s made quite the name for herself with her father’s employees. They’re all telling her stories, and a few have left and returned with nail polish and makeup. She’s being babied, being called princess, though best of all she’s come to like this older lady.
“Hey…?” Xiao glances up at her, keeping her hands still as they’re polished and decorated. The woman looks down with a grace that seems almost unearthly and smiles, tilting her head. “I…I don’t know your name..” She’s still so shy, but is opening up more quickly.
“Maria. I’m so sorry I forgot, little one.” She softly replies, petting Xiao’s head again. Once her nails have dried, and she’s been pampered within an inch of her skin, she finally settles against Maria, looking over her arm at the book she’s reading. It’s full of pictures, though how recent, Xiao is unable to say. One in particular catches her eyes, one of a much younger Dino sitting in a chair, bright eyes looking over to someone standing tall and proud, the cape over their shoulders. It isn’t until Xiao looks at the face that she realizes…
“Is that you and my daddy?” She gasps, looking up at Maria a few times just to make sure. The woman laughs, nodding.
“Yes, that would be me and Dino. Years ago, when I was the Lion.” She catches the surprise in Xiao’s eyes briefly, and laughs. “Oh, yes, I was the Lion once upon a time. I believe this was taken after I announced Dino would be my heir. The evening continues with various pictures and explanations, Xiao slowly starting to move into the lap of Maria, to which causes her no end of amusement.

16. Warmth- Word Count: 1036 - 4
A number of photo albums later, they had started to play hide and go seek. Xiao didn’t know the building too well yet, but she certainly knew the faces of the ladies who had played with her for two hours. Dino had become the last thing on her mind, and frankly she didn’t care when he was done, she would gladly stay here as long as possible! As she ran along, she had the bad habit of not looking where she was going, and this became even more evident when she ran into someone who had just come through the door.
“Ah! Sorry!” Xiao chirped, looking up, only to be met by piercing gold eyes, and red hair and….
“Well this is certainly a surprise.” Rosalie hummed, pulling down her face mask to bend down and hug Xiao tight, “Dino bring you along this time?” It was this once that Xiao was able to look her over, and see that she wasn’t in her usual street clothes. Very rarely was it that she’d see Dino dressing for work, but seeing an assassin in her gear was something….fantastic. The amount of leather, and the steel she could feel beneath it, was fantastic. And of course, it was all very, very tight on her.
“Yeah! I managed to convince him, and I’m so so happy I did!” She squealed, hugging the woman back, arms tight around her neck. “Were you working? Is that why you’re all dressed up?” Come to think of it, Xiao wasn’t used to seeing her hair braided off to the side either. The longer she stayed close to her, the more she began to realize the woman was radiating heat. It was almost concerning, considering she didn’t seem to be breaking a sweat.
“Yeah, I just went and took a run, no real work tonight. But I’ve got to keep myself in shape, right?” Xiao knew that run usually meant up on the rooftops, and considering what a nice night it seemed to be, she couldn’t blame her for the heat she was emanating. “Now what are you doing here, hmm? What had you running about?”
“Ah, just playing a round of hide and go seek. Care to join us, Miss Satre?” Came the warm voice of Maria as she approached the two of them. Rosalie stood up rigid, looking immediately professional, before seemingly drawing a blade out of nowhere and took a knee.
“Maria, I’m—“
“There’s no need for that, you and I both know that. After all, you and Dino greet each other with kisses on both cheeks, don’t you? Or rather now you do.” Maria interrupted her, shaking her head as she smilled. This news came as welcome news to Xiao, and a part of her was secretly hoping the two would give dating another try, though she knew it was likely impossible.
“This young lady helped fix that, actually.” Rosalie glanced to Xiao, winking at her. It filled her with even more excitement. Rosalie liked her, Rosalie thought she was awesome for helping her. It was a good feeling to have, especially with it coming from such an important person.
“Oh really? And I take it you’re the one who’s been teaching her how to sing?” Rosalie’s cheeks flush at the confrontation, though it ends up being for nothing. It’s good, Maria assures her, she needs to learn one day or another, however there’s a pause when the two of them look at her again.
“Maybe you should teach her to dance.” The words are most unexpected, though Xiao perks up quite a bit. Rosalie tries to stammer, saying she barely even remembers them, but Maria knows far better, and soon, Xiao and Rosalie are side by side.
“You know, your papa taught me the dances a long time ago, when we were still…well..dating. He thought I was good enough to learn them.” Rosalie mutters, trying to show her each step carefully. Xiao is doing her best, and after many tries, finally has it down to where she can do it more at speed. The more she learns, the warmer she feels, and soon enough, she finds the words of the songs she’s learned go hand in hand with the dances. It feels like no time at all has passed to her, and when she finally notices her father watching her as he leans up against a doorway, she turns red and stops.
“Well well, looks like someone’s been teaching her more important things, hmm?” It’s Maria he looks at this time, though his eyes are far warmer and familiar with her than one would expect. He doesn’t hesitate in hugging Xiao as she topples over her feet to get to him, laughing warmly again. “Miss Nightingale, I take it you came to seek audience?” Xiao is most pleased to see them smile at each other, tension finally gone from their shoulders. After a brief moment, Xiao is left with Maria again.
“What did you come to ask me this time, Miss Rosa?” Dino relaxes, sitting down in his chair once they return to his office, leaning back and propping his feet up on his desk. It’s been a long while since he’s been able to do this with her in the same room, though it’s a welcome change for both of them as she reclines on the day sofa, cracking her back as she arches it.
“I wanted to find out more about where you got Xiao from.” She murmurs, seemingly casually as she glances over at the shock on his face. Surely she’s not…
“And why would that be, Rosa? You’re not the type to just ask questions casually, much less seek me out for answers…” He’s suspecting something, but there’s no way. She’d never.
“Perhaps I wouldn’t mind becoming a…mother.” The shock is plain on his face, though it doesn’t fade. She’s struck him speechless, and her cheeks flush because of it. “Dino don’t make that face….I’m….I’m lonely okay? Something to live for at this point would be welcome and…Helping out with Xiao made me..” The discussion continues for quite some time, though Dino can’t seem to stop stammering or feeling the warmth in his cheeks.

17. Perfection- Word Count: 541 - 3

With the tension in the Prazina household finally having dissolved, and a night finally spent together at last, the next evening seems to come so quick. It’s been a perfect day, the three of them have spent it playing in the snow, drinking hot cocoa, and taking the new addition of the family to the vet. While the small kitten has to be left there, Xiao isn’t reluctant in the slightest, and the three of them finally bond. When Dino finally returns from the store, having bought nearly everything he thinks a small kitten could need, he finds the two of them sitting on the couch with a box shared between their laps, watching him intently. He feels their eyes upon him as he finally goes to set down his load, turning to meet them slowly as he walks over, taking his seat next to Xiao. The silence only intensifies his curiosity, especially as he’s handed the heavy box. He hesitates for just a moment.
“Open it.” Xiao urges. It’s this moment that Dino regrets having two women in the same household. He doesn’t want to open it and find whatever the two have given him for revenge, he really doesn’t want to. But finally, giving in, he opens the box to find something very familiar.
The velvet is rich and soft, the beautiful lion fur barely visible under the folds. It’s his cape, but as he looks it over, his eye is drawn to delicate gold swirls adorning the edges. He remembers this is where is cape had torn, and soon ruffles through it to find the other spots. Each one has been patched over with beautiful, delicate embroidery in gold. Try as he might, he can’t seem to get his jaw to close. They’ve mended his cape. They’ve mended his honor. He tries to look over at the two, still in shock, only to see Xiao’s bright and excited smile, and then Rosalie’s far more tired and serene one. The both of them. The two most important women in his life have fixed his precious cape.
“Xiao and I worked together on it while you were in the hospital.” Rosalie finally replies, glancing down out of slight shyness as Dino looks at her, unable to speak a single word. He wasn’t nothing but to embrace them both, to cover their faces with kisses, and to whisper words Xiao won’t be able to understand yet to their friendly neighborhood assassin. He decides to just start off with a hug, embracing Xiao tight as he pulls her into his lap, box and cape falling to the ground. Rosalie tries to escape, but it’s no use, the mighty lion pulls her into the bear hug, completely thrilled. As much as he doesn’t want to admit it, he’s fallen in love with her just a little bit more, especially after the late night talk they had last night. Yes, they’ll never be getting back together, but does that mean she’s any less perfect? No. Perfect…… The words finally seem to come to him, words of praise for what they’ve done.
“It’s beautiful, it’s so perfect, you both have no idea..” He murmurs into their ears, chuckling as he hears his own excitement bubbling.

18. Water- Word Count: 529 - 3

Their outings are slowly becoming more common as the holidays grow closer and closer. Dino likes to claim he’s gotten more time off work, though Xiao really knows it’s because someone is helping him out behind the scenes. While Xiao has heard less, and certainly not seen, Rosalie, she has a feeling that the assassin is doing her best to also run things while Dino is away. Holidays are for time with family right?
Thus, today Xiao finds herself bouncing excitedly into the aquarium, boots clicking against the marble floors as she enters. She’s never been here before, but it’s something that Dino insisted upon. It’ll blow her mind, apparently, though Xiao doesn’t really know what sort of things an aquarium has in it. Is it some kind of fancy circus? Are there paintings? She simply doesn’t know! Dino takes her hand and ushers her through some halls, obviously knowing exactly where he’s going. He came here once with Rosalie he says, on a date. The very mention of the assassin brings up a whole new bubbling of questions, though Dino dismisses them quickly, and then they finally enter a large, bright room.
Xiao is in shock as she looks all around her to see what must be an ocean. It’s so vast, and so many different types of fish and sea creatures are surrounding her. She feels like she’s deep underwater, and probably is for that fact, and must be a mermaid princess of some sort. This time it’s she who can’t keep her mouth shut, turning slowly to take it all in. Dino simply laughs, chuckling to himself as he also takes the opportunity to take in the sights. This is an aquarium, he explains, there’s lots of fish and sea creatures she can see here. The room feels slightly cooler, and for once Xiao is glad she’s wearing her coat indoors, though she wouldn’t even have the thought to do so. She slowly makes her way to the glass, pressing her face up against it as she gazes out. After a moment Dino’s attention is regained with a shriek of delight as a manta ray swims right past her face, and she bubbles happily about making friends with the creature. Dino laughs and comes to squat by her side, teaching her the names of the creatures as he points at them. While she knows some, she’s impressed by his deep knowledge of the deep, and finds particular glee in asking him to say the names in his native language.
While the couple certainly gain a few stairs as he teaches her the words, hobotnica for octopus, ajkula for shark, the strangers faces seem to warm after seeing how much fun Xiao is having. For once, Dino’s having trouble keeping his accent under wraps when he switches back to English, much to Xiao’s glee. She begs him not to fix it, thinking it something terribly special, and for once, he’s left with no option but to comply. Despite the aquarium being larger than just this one room, Xiao refuses to move for a good hour, wanting nothing more than to be under the water in a paradise.

19. Light- Word Count: 581 - 3

Xiao had been waiting for this day all her life, it felt like. Today she was finally going to meet her Auntie’s daughter. Well…For all purposes she was calling her a daughter. Dino had been to meet her once before, though hadn’t allowed Xiao to come with. He needed to make sure she was safe, he said, needed to make sure that she’d at least know him before they’d meet her. She made sure to dress up in her favorite dress, and had daddy to her hair perfectly, before the two left to meet them. It was going to be a playdate, they were going to go out to lunch together and then go shopping or something. Xiao adored being able to leave the Dreamery’s grounds, especially when meeting new people was involved.
Though it didn’t turn out like she expected. Xiao could feel her heart pounding as she caught a glimpse of Rosalie, and then some girl standing next to her. She nearly ran up ahead of Dino to meet her, though when she saw the sudden smile on Rosalie’s face, she couldn’t help but slow down. The girl was much darker in color compared to Xiao’s light tones, and seemed to be of a darker mood. She didn’t sit with Rosalie like she was her daughter, more like just an acquaintance. She was stiff and rigid as she sat straight up, her eyes meeting Xiao’s coldly.
“Ah, Rosalie, Senka..” The names seemed to roll off Dino’s tongue so perfectly, though Xiao wasn’t sure what to say. Senka, as she assumed her name was, finally got to her feet, glancing to Rosalie for permission, though the woman seemed to be fine with her doing whatever, before finally approaching Xiao. Each of her steps seemed to be carefully metered, and Xiao wasn’t sure what to think of the older girl. She was so….stiff. Neither of them seemed to be able to speak a word, Senka occasionally glancing to her before looking away swiftly, almost too shy to speak, before Xiao finally decided upon an action. She hugged her, hoping that just a little bit of her brightness would wipe away the shyness of her.
Senka hesitated, trying to think of where she’d heard what to do before. She glanced to the two guardians, but seeing as they were caught in conversation, she slowly returned Xiao’s hug, taking in the warmth. Senka was cool to touch, something Xiao hadn’t expected, but slowly began to warm up in the bright joy. A serene smile found her face, and before she knew it, the two were like sisters. While Xiao was quick to babble excitedly, Senka would speak quietly of her own interests, glancing every now and then to see approving smiles on the guardian’s faces. The two demanded to sit next to each other at lunch, instead of with their respective guardian, and Xiao could have sworn she saw Rosalie and Dino holding hands briefly. Senka quietly noted the observation as well, and mentioned the two had talked nearly the entire time during their brief meeting extremely casually. When the time finally came for them to return home, both guardians weighed down with shopping bags, the two had a sorrowful farewell, hugging the other tightly. The light from the sun was just starting to fall, the world growing cooler by the moment. They promised each other to meet again, pinkies linked in a childish manner, before the separated and returned to the night.

20. Wrong- Word Count: 533 - 3

It wasn’t supposed to happen this way, looking back on it. He should have known from the start, from the tiny little warning signs he’d just dismissed. It was the little things, like how the world would just suddenly go silent at times, and the weird ringing in his ears would start. It was the way that reality would suddenly seem to bend and twist, and he’d have to stop and touch a wall just to keep himself straight. Something was wrong, but he hadn’t ever considered it.

She was worried. She’d be talking to him, and he’d just start tuning out, staring off into the distance. Xiao knew that look, she could tell he was just somewhere else entirely, and would stop to tug at his sleeve. It would usually work, but lately…
“Daddy?” She chirped, tilting her head as she looked up at him. He looked sick, pale in the cheeks, and the same liveliness to his eyes just wasn’t there. He tried to hide it, patting her head and smiling at her. Everything’s fine, sweetheart, he’d say, I’m sorry I just got a little distracted… That couldn’t be it.
Ever since he’d come back late that one night, she’d been noticing the slight changes in his behavior. They’d be walking, and then he’d just seem to slow. He would touch a wall or something, thinking she hadn’t been noticing, before starting right back up at pace with her again. It’d been a week since then, he hadn’t talked with her about it. She’d been too scared to bring it up.
He didn’t want her to bring it up either. He didn’t want to talk about why he’d come home like that, or why he smelled of gunpowder and expensive perfume. She didn’t need to be brought into the world of the Lion. She didn’t need to know that he was putting his life on the line every time he left her. She didn’t need to know of the underworld that could swallow her up, devour her, and change her life forever.
He swayed again, despite sitting. At least she didn’t see that one, she was out in the park, playing again. Perhaps she’d make a friend soon, someone to meet and play with. She needed that, she didn’t need what he had. The last thing he wanted to do was lock her in a palace with tutors and not a friend in sight. Not even the birds of the aviary were allowed to see him. But, he kept on seeing that girl’s face, the one who had been the one to soothe his pride, to be well, the best she could be for him. Just one more time he wanted to see her again…

“Daddy?”
He snapped back to reality, looking his precious, precious daughter in the eyes. Had he been spacing out again? It seemed so. He laughed, ruffling her hair again.
“Sorry sweetheart, I’m just a little tired. You ready to go home now?” He breathed, trying to hide how much the world had started to spin again. There was the slightest of nods from her, though he could already see it in her eyes.

Something was wrong.

21. Dark- Word Count: 926 - 3

Senka really wasn’t sure what to expect when she met her new…guardian. She really didn’t know much about the woman and her deep red hair, or her beautiful golden eyes. All she knew was that she would be taking care of her from now on. They didn’t have a home near the Dreamery, no, they went somewhere else, somewhere Rosalie didn’t name. They were on the streets together, hands held tight, and the next moment they were in a cozy apartment. She was asked to sit down at the breakfast bar, which she did quietly, and then the woman started cooking.
That had been their first night, shrouded in mystery and full of awkwardness. The two had talked, mostly about little things, though there was very little bonding. Senka mentioned she just wanted to call her Rosalie, not feeling the bond between them yet. She was a caregiver, nothing more, not yet. The two talked quietly about her occupation, her hobbies, and her group of friends. She was quick to mention one of her friends also had a manifest, an adorable little bubbly girl named Xiao. Senka wasn’t sure how do react, had the woman expected someone more like her? Someone less, well, dark.
The two felt a rift forming almost immediately. They talked, though always very briefly, and never of anything passionate. Senka liked books, which was a blessing, given that the apartment was full of them. It wasn’t until the third night that they really finally felt close. That night, Rosalie finally returned from work, still in her assassin’s gear. Senka hadn’t believed her when she said she was an assassin. She thought it had just been something to see if she was listening. It was dark, macabre, and yet…interesting. The leather was stained with blood, and there was the slightest limp as she walked.
“Ah, could you fetch the med kit in the bathroom?” Rosalie wheezed the slightest, finally collapsing into one of the bar stools. Senka didn’t hesitate, getting up quietly, and padding over to retrieve the item. Her eyes were curious as she sat beside the woman, watching her undo a number of belts after she pulled down her face mask, visage contorted into one of pure focus and occasional pain. Taking a deep breath, she pulled her boot off quickly, a growl of pain finally rising into a quiet cry. It wasn’t until she had the damn thing off that the manifest could see the bit of steel sticking out of the back of her calf. She gave a concerned look, glancing between it and Rosalie’s face.
“Shouldn’t you go to the hospital for this?” Rosalie was almost shocked. That was concern coming from her almost emotionless child. She laughed, voice dry as she reached around to get a good grip on it, resting her leg in Senka’s lap. She seemed to know what to do, holding it tight as her guardian finally ripped the blade from her leg, a frustrated cry trailing into laughter.
“Nah, this is nothing.” She coughed, looking the slightest bit pale as she set it down. It had come out cleanly, though now the barbs on the blade were visible. Senka almost winced, though continued to hold her leg steady, concern rising. “You haven’t even seen my scars yet. Got plenty of them. This is really nothing, I just wasn’t expecting barbs today.” Just how hard did she work? Her eyebrows knitted a few times as she watched her guardian try and laugh off the stinging of the anticeptic as she cleaned the wound, and once more as she reached for the needle and thread.
There was a certain precision to it all, one that was almost disturbing. Rosalie didn’t seem to hesitate at all, and that was something…Sad. How many times had she patched herself up like this before? Alone? How many times had she been worse off and had to go to the hospital? She had no family, that much Senka remembered her mentioning… Well…Now she supposed she had one, as much as she was starting to actually like the idea. It seemed to be over so quick, and soon enough she was dressing the wound with bandages, working quick before it was finally fixed up.
“Well. I’ll have to get my boot repaired, but it’s worth it.” Senka hadn’t even realized until now that she’d ripped the boot off of her foot literally. A clean rip ran through the back to the top from midway down. No wonder she’d cried out. But the hesitation hadn’t been there at all, it was…amazing in a way.
“Do you need help walking?” She asked quickly, noticing her guardian about to get up. Rosalie glanced back at her, again, surprised. “I uhm…if your calf is that bad maybe I just should…” The woman shrugged, offering a smile as she got on her good leg, holding out her arm. There wasn’t a word that needed to be said between them as they hobbled back to the assassin’s room, and they both finally sat on the bed in the dark. Senka hadn’t believed her. She hadn’t believed such a woman could have a dark occupation, could handle that sort of pain, could be so nonchalant about an injury like that. She was about to ask her something when she noticed Rosalie had already fallen asleep, the exhaustion showing on her face. Carefully, Senka got up and grabbed a blanket, covering her guardian as she slept in her leather armor, and closed the door, letting the dark surround her.

22. Baby Animals- Word Count: 611 - 3

The walk proved mostly uneventful for the two, though eventually, Xiao was allowed to run wild. She was being watched by an assassin after all, and hide and go sneak in the town was just too fun to not happen. Dino would kill them, of course, but for the moment, they just wanted to forget the previous night and have fun. Xiao in particular was reveling in this, being able to spend time with Rosalie and hide wherever she wished. This particular round, and alley was her choice. She managed to squeeze behind the dumpster, giggling like mad as she finally knew the count was up, curling up into herself in an attempt to be harder to find.
That was, until, a tiny mew came from beside her.
Xiao’s eyes widened as she looked down slowly, and met eyes with a two tiny green eyes and a black puff of fur. A kitten! She’d found a kitten! Hide and seek didn’t even matter anymore, she’d just found a poor tiny kitten all alone in the snow. Picking the poor thing up, she looked around desperately for perhaps more of the tiny fuzzy creatures, or maybe a mama, and wormed her way out. Rosalie hadn’t yet thought to look here yet, she thought, though slowly came out into the open, holding the little baby close. This was most confusing for the assassin. Weren’t they playing hide and go seek? Didn’t that mean hide and don’t come out? Curiously she made her way over, and was greeted by Xiao holding the kitten out to her.
“Oh dear…” Were the first words out of her mouth. Kittens. Rosalie liked kittens. She was pretty sure Xiao did too, given the pout on her face. That was the perfect ‘can we keep it’ expression ever, she was sure. But how long had this poor thing been out in the cold? She was quick to unzip her coat a little, taking the kitten and tucking it in before taking Xiao’s hand. “Come on, let’s get it into the warmth…”
The two weren’t sure what they should even say as they stood outside the door of the apartment. Whoops, Dino, you have a pet now? Here, cheer up Dino, have a kitten? They looked at each other for a moment, both taking a deep breath before stepping in. Said man was still in his robe, looking like he’d taken a nice hot shower, and panicked the slightest at seeing Rosalie. He waited, almost desperately wanting to meet her eyes, though she wasn’t giving him the pleasure of doing so, avoiding it as she took off her boots single handedly. Xiao had already stripped down to her normal clothes and held out her hands to the woman. This was met with much confusion, until, at last, the tiny ball of fuzz and purr was handed over.
“Oh.” Was the one response Dino could even manage, sipping from his cup of coffee as Xiao carefully walked over, holding out the baby animal to him before turning on the puppy eyes. “Oh Xiao, we don’t even….” He wanted to say no, he really did, but when the kitten sneezed, his heart just about gave out. “Fine. Fine we’re keeping it. Where’d you find it, huh?”
“Behind a dumpster.” She chirped up, met with confusion from her guardian. Before Dino even had time to look to Rosalie for answers, the woman had disappeared into Xiao’s bedroom again, closing the door behind her. He closed his mouth with a heavy sigh, taking the kitten quietly. Without another word, Xiao went and followed the woman, leaving Dino to warm up the purring new addition.

23. Tears- Word Count: 1092 - 4

“Yu pravai eposof kehlinga kopa sevir…” The words flitted off her tongue in an airy fashion, sounding fluent, despite having only learned them two days prior. It had been a week since she had first arrived at the hospital, a week since she had met this mysterious assassin. Rosalie had taken it upon herself to teach Xiao as many of the songs she could. The first had been the blessing, followed by the song of the Nightingale. Two days ago, she decided it wouldn’t be right to leave the daughter of the Lion without knowing her father’s song. It was far more upbeat, usually accompanied by some sort of drums, though today they hand to make due with the clapping of hands. Even the meanings of such songs had been taught to her, an important step for any member of the Lion’s household, regardless of rank.
It had been a week the two had grown closer, that was for sure. While Dino was unable, she had taken good care of Xiao, that was undeniable. However, it was rather clear that she was only a stand in, Xiao was unwilling to leave her guardian’s side for too long, only leaving for showers and other necessary things. She would cry in her sleep near the beginning, dreams unsettled by their lack of fairytales, especially the ones Dino would tell. Rosalie knew she couldn’t do right by his words, his own silver tongue probably adding so much more that she could not. Even after claiming for so long that she didn’t get along with kids, it was starting to occur to her that perhaps she wasn’t as bad as she thought she was. Hell, if Dino could raise a kid, anything was possible, right?
It was as Xiao was singing that she noticed the slight change in the rhythm of the monitors. A good sign, she thought, though soon enough Xiao took notice, trailing off with the last of the stanza. Her eyes darted from the monitors, to Dino, and finally to the assassin’s, confused and worried. Time would tell, especially as Rosalie hushed her as she opened her mouth to ask what was going on.
It was very gradual, not like television shows liked to make it seem. Little by little, his body was waking up from its slumber, nothing like how princesses awoke from their own slumbers. His pulse steadied at a faster rate, breathing generally increasing, and at long last, his eyelashes fluttered. Xiao refused to be pried from his side, holding onto his other arm as if her life depended on it. After all, if she was in the same situation, she’d want her papa to be there by her side in the same manner. Rosalie decided to sit off to the side, it really wasn’t here place to be there, as if she was some lover of his. Xiao’s nerves felt like they were about to fry, especially with thoughts of this being a bad thing running through her mind constantly. Eventually though, they were all put to rest as he finally opened his eyes blearily, looking over to the tiny figure clutching his arm. His breath fogged up the mask slightly, though he managed a slight smile. Xiao was shaking, slightly, her grip on his arm tightening the slightest. He was awake, he wasn’t going to die. He was here, and he was smiling at her, and he was going to be alright. Everything was alright and she was so so happy, but….Why was she crying?
She couldn’t help but blubber the slightest bit, making a dive to cuddle up against his chest and sob, not caring what else happened. Dino found himself the slightest bit confused, he couldn’t remember a thing, but patted her back, holding her close for however long she wanted. Well, it would be a while to say the least. The poor girl couldn’t even manage to form words, sniffling and sobbing as she clung to him, being careful of his other arm as she did, though at the same time not caring if she did manage to mess one of the cords up. Dino tried to catch his breath and wake up more, his head throbbing dully as he looked up to the ceiling for a moment, before looking over to the source of the beeping. It wasn’t the machines that caught his eye, instead the very prim and properly seated woman at his side. His breath caught in his throat for a moment, before exhaling. She didn’t seem to want his life this time, and…was that a smile?
“You’ve been out for a week, Lion.” She murmured, keeping her voice quiet and soft, not wanting to overstimulate him while he was still recovering. He gave her a confused look, glancing down to his daughter, who was still pouring out her feelings and tears, before returning to look at his…acquaintance. “You took a fall down the stairs, probably don’t remember it. And..We’ll talk more about everything later, but I’m sorry, if it makes any difference.” She did seem to truly regret…whatever it was. He took the moment to breathe, closing his eyes again. What was she sorry for? Oh, right…
“It was a mistake, right?” The words came out more slowly than he liked, slurring slightly as he spoke, having to stop several times to breathe. “It’s fine…I shouldn’t have tried…the stairs.” He laughed the slightest, coughing as it came out wrong. His chest felt so heavy, even without his daughter reduced to sniffles on it. She finally looked up, her eyes red, nose running, and cheeks streaked with the salty liquid, and he couldn’t manage to do anything but smile.
“Hey sweetheart….” He tucked a stray lock of hair behind her ear slowly, still learning how to move. Everything was sluggish, though if he really had taken a tumble down the stairs, it was no surprise. “Sorry I worried you.”
Xiao bit her lip, trembling the slightest bit before hugging him tight around his neck. A weak chuckle came out of his throat as he rubbed her back, slightly hindered by the oxygen monitor on his finger. As she began to whisper how worried she’d been, how lonely she’d been, how much she loved him, he gave a quick glance to his business partner, and was surprised to see the one streak of liquid trailing down her cheek. Pretending he hadn’t seen it, he continued to comfort his daughter, happy to repeat how much he loved her as many times as she wanted.

24. Green- Word Count: 502 - 3

Senka and Xiao have found they’re as different as night and day. Senka is quiet and proper, while Xiao is loud and unruly. While both may be girls, and both of their guardians are single with important jobs, the two of them share very little in common. However, there is one thing that they have found they share. Green eyes.
Xiao’s are bright and hold her imagination. They watch things with a curiosity unrivaled, and brighten up as she babbles on about various things. They’re driven by her emotion, wild and free, and cloud over with tears when she’s sad or upset. They convey so many words without even needing to speak them, surely something she’s picked up from her father. Yet, they also show a much different side. When she’s focused, Xiao doesn’t realize how much she’s taken after Dino. The same determination is always visible, and the same mysterious glint tends to arise when she’s obviously in charge. Yet they still convey that bright summer day, where the wind is blowing through the tall grass, and one just wants to lay and nap in it. Those are Xiao’s eyes.
Senka’s are far more quiet and calculating. They’re the color of a deep emerald, deep and elegant. Rosalie always likes to tease her by saying they have gemstone eyes, while Dino and Xiao both have ones the color of the weather. Senka doesn’t seem to mind, though. Her eyes convey a deep thought, and are liable to stare at objects with deep intent and feeling. She doesn’t express emotion very well, though when she does it’s usually through her facial expression. Her eyes are a constant, something not to be changed, and never seem to glimmer. She’s cool, calm, and collected, far different from her “cousin”. She holds her poses of proper manners and elegance without fail, much like the rocks that encase the emeralds. Like Rosalie, the same cool, calculating demeanor seems to seep out of them, something Xiao has rarely seen. While she and the assassin haven’t been together long, it’s clear to see they’re an almost perfect match.
But at the same time, there’s so much similar between them. Those rare moments when Xiao is serious, or when Senka truly smiles, the same glimmers are visible. Even if they’re not related by dream, or even by blood, it’s clear the two are related in their hearts and hopes. Xiao wants to teach Senka how to have fun, how to dance, and how to sing. Senka wants to teach Xiao about how to find books, how to write, and how to read. They both enjoy spending time together, no matter where it may be, and even though the two dread the impending moment when Rosalie announces she’ll be gone for a long time, the two are already making plans for what their sleepovers will hold. Age is certainly not a matter to the two, and even if their shades of green are completely different, it’s still green to them.

25. Sunshine- Word Count: 554 - 3

Xiao wasn’t expecting to be taken out to the sun so quickly. It was still cold out, but today the sun was shining bright. The two of them has spent two whole days cleaning after Rosalie had left, trying to get everything in order. Things had been much more happy and open near the end, especially after he received his cape. It was the final seal of their new rekindled friendship, and Xiao was still curious what he’d said to her after hugging her for so long.
But today, out in her coat and boots, she was finally twirling on the asphalt of the park’s paths. The snow was just starting to melt, but that made no difference to her. She was happy. It was just her and papa, and that was all that mattered. Dino seemed to be more comfortable being on his feet, something that Xiao hadn’t seen in such a long time, not since his fall had he been willing to go out with her, just her, and spend time together. It wasn’t until he called her back to his side, Xiao having exhausted herself of running, that the two of them sat on the park bench together, tiny manifest swinging her legs.
“So, what all did Rosa teach you hmm? I know you know some of the songs, but, what else?” What else? Xiao wrinkled her nose just a little, trying to think of anything else. She’d taught her the songs of the four houses, but that had been about it. She shook her head, frowning.
“Just the songs. Is there something else I should learn?” She chirped, looking up at him again. Dino appeared to be deep in thought, the sun dancing on his hair, before he smiled.
“Ah, there’s other things, but I think you’re a little too young for them yet.” He laughed, ruffling her hair. “Come on now, don’t make that face. If you prove yourself worthy, maybe I’ll teach you. In due time, young one, in due time…” Xiao didn’t like being told no, but she wasn’t about to throw a fit over it. Instead she pouted for a while, then finally cheered up. Well, more to look forward to, right? “You said the songs, didn’t you? Why don’t you sing for me once more, little songbird?”
“I’m not a songbird! Rosa said I’m a lion cub!” She puffed out her chest proudly, making her father laugh as he held her close, hugging her tight.
“That’s right, my little lion cub. But come on, she taught you how to sing right? Show papa all the things you learned.” He chuckled, ruffling her hair again. This time, satisfied, Xiao began to sing, showing the intervals of the notes with her fingers as she did. It struck Dino immediately that this was how Rosalie remembered notes, though it wasn’t something she often taught to others. He knew of perhaps one other who used the same method, but now it seemed, she’d passed it on. The sun seemed to shine brighter as she sang, the words falling from her lips, though there was the occasional mispronunciation. Perhaps one day he’d teach her the meanings, teach her the language it was in. But for now, he was more than happy to keep his private conversations with Rosalie a secret.

26. Coffee - Word Count: 704 - 3
While many rose with the sun, today it was only Xiao in their tiny apartment that did. Her guardian had yet to awake, and even when she tried to open his door, it seemed he had locked it to keep her out. She was confused when she had awoken with his cape wrapped tight around her, remembering very little of the prior night. Had something happened? Her investigation of the apartment revealed very little, other than a few suspiciously clean spots in the carpet. She knew well enough what that usually meant, though there were far more than the usual few. Something had happened last night, and that meant Dino would likely sleep in late. Nevermind that, she knew how to rouse her guardian.
While she’d seen him do this so many times before, Xiao was new to the world of kitchen appliances. In her short time living here with him thus far, she’d been trusted enough to use the microwave…once. It had gone perfectly too, no complaints from Dino at all. It was just that he was usually there to cook for her instead.
It was easy enough to fill the pot with water, and to pour it into the reservoir, but the other preparations did not come so easily, especially to a girl of her height. Perhaps if her wings had been much use, they would have served her well, but alas, they would just flutter and flap behind her, and failed to raise as much as the fluttering of papers. Perhaps when she was older. Daddy had said a lot would happen when she was older. The filter proved to be a beast to be conquered, and no matter the amount of fussing, it didn’t seem to settle right….Pah, it was stupid anyway. Perhaps the coffee grounds would settle the paper beast into submission!
She hesitated with the spoon, struggling to keep the can balanced in her hands as she stood on tiptoes to reach to the top of the machine. How many scoops was it? Two? Five? She couldn’t remember. But seven seemed like a good number! Maybe it would make Daddy wake up even more, and make her a whole stack of pancakes! On the final teetering on her toes, the filter weighed down by the massive pile of black gold, the can finally slipped out of her hands and spilled upon the floor. Xiao stared down at the mass in horror, eyes darting to the door of her father’s bedroom. One minute passed, and then another, or at least it felt that way to the young manifest. She breathed out slowly when nothing happened, and recovered what she could of the can, tiptoeing over the dusting of grounds before grabbing the broom. Well…Daddy did say he liked the smell….
With the mess swept up, or rather, with half of it stuck under the stove, and the other halfhazardly tossed in the garbage can, she finally fandangled with the buttons of the silver machine enough to start the brewing. It would be a while, wouldn’t it? She’d have time to get dressed, to surprise her guardian further! Tiptoing off to her room, that’s exactly what she began on. While she struggled with the silk ties of her dress, the coffee machine struggled to strain the water through the massive amount of grounds, unable to empty out soon enough. While some of it did indeed make it to the pot, the rest overflowed in a grainy mess down the sides, looking more like a mudslide than coffee. Of course, it was all done when the tiny girl finally came back out, her own dress at all sorts of odd angles, she felt like she’d stepped into some sort of…coffee murder.
Well. Her plan worked to some extent. Dino wasn’t the type to sleep through the rather strong odor of coffee and…coffee. He shuffled through the hall, eyes still bleary as he slumped, hands in the pockets of his robe. It didn’t help that the first sight of the morning he was greeted to was his daughter smiling awkwardly, holding out a cup of what looked like sludge but smelled like pure caffeine. Well. It was one way to wake up.

27. Anger – Word Count: 672 - 3

Dino was in absolute shock when Xiao screamed at him, tears pouring down her face. He’d never have expected it from her, never in a million years. Hell, he’d only lost his temper once in front of her, and to be honest, he regretted every second of it. He’s checked up on Rosalie a hundred times after she’d left, just to make sure he hadn’t gotten to badly to her, or that his apology had fixed everything. He’d made it clear he was more than willing to have her back, or if need be, go to her if it had. But now he was looking down at his little girl who was absolutely fuming, a broken egg in her hair, which was tugged out of its beautiful bun. He sighed, shaking his head as he ushered her inside. No need to encourage the tantrum, no need to pretend Xiao was perfect all the time.
They’d been making fun of her, calling her weird and odd. Xiao usually could take these things with a graceful smile, but today, he guessed, they’d gone too far. He hadn’t yet asked what exactly had been said, but was trying to focus on getting her cleaned up instead, drawing a nice warm bath as she stripped out of her eggy clothes and tried to rescue her hairpins as best she could while sniffling, still red in the face. He helped her in adding as much bubble bath as they had, and just sat there at the edge, watching her fume. This was not the normal Xiao, this was grumpy unhappy Xiao.
“So.” He began with a sigh, watching her try not to pout and cry. She was mad, goddamnit, and she was going to stay mad. “What did the stupid boys say?” She seemed to be a little surprised. Daddy thought the boys were stupid too, yes, especially for picking on his Xiao. It only took a moment before she sank down into the bathwater a little more, and spoke.
“They called you a bad word…” She mumbled, sinking in more. She really didn’t want to have to say it, especially when her daddy was the best, and wasn’t scolding her for her outburst. Not yet at least.
“Which word?” Dino was trying to be patient, he really was, but knowing young boys, he’d probably already heard it. Xiao seemed to fume a little more, though hesitated with actually speaking up. “Come on now, just this once is okay.”
“They called you a boskur.” She mumbled, sinking in more like it was a terrible thing she’d just said it. The bath seemed to be helping though, especially when Dino started to wash her hair. He sighed, mulling over it for a while before shaking his head.
“Auntie Rosa taught you about that one, huh?” He mumbled. “It’s been a long time since I’ve been called that, but don’t worry. It’s okay, they’re the ones who are stupid and don’t know any better.” It hadn’t occurred to him that Rosalie had already been over this with Xiao. Xiao knew he was from a foreign country, though he would never expect her to be able to pick out which, or know any of the slurs.
“She taught me a lot of things….” Xiao mumbled. Mmmhmm, as he’d expected, she was starting to finally start to cry it all out. Deciding he could do with changing a shirt, he reached over to hug her tight.
“It’s okay, shh…Daddy’s not mad, boys are stupid, just remember that, okay? It’s all alright, sweetheart, just let it out…” He’d done this hundreds of times before with Rosalie, back in happier times, and it seemed it was going to be a useful skill if this ever happened again. Finally having released every bit of anger, Xiao was a sniffling mess as she calmed down, letting Dino wash her hair. He laughed a little after a while, especially once he told her eggs used to be used to make hair even prettier in older times.

28. Joy- Word Count: 533 - 3

She could feel her heart racing as she sat in the waiting room, trying to calm her breathing. How long had it been since she was this excited, this nervous? Really too long. Dino had told her where to come, what to say, and had mentioned the nervousness would weigh out anything else. She’d finally gotten the call, she’d have a little girl in a while, a daughter. She wondered what she’d be like briefly. Would she be scared of her? Would she be happy to have a mother? Would she simply not care, just happy to have someone to watch over her? The assassin was never one for nervousness, but now, it was all she could feel. Finally, it happened.
The girl, they had said she was a little bit older, finally walked out, and Rosalie felt her heart stop. This was very different from Xiao, but what had she expected? Certainly one Xiao was enough for the world, but this girl…She was proper. She was standing completely rigid, looking down at the floor before her eyes finally rose to meet her own. Green. Beautiful green. It had only been a few seconds, but the assassin knew she was enamored with her immediately. She was the pinnacle of elegance, and oh, there was so much she could teach her, and perhaps she would make a good mother.
She nervously got through the introductions. The girl already had picked a name for herself, Senka, and she found herself not caring, unable to wipe the smile from her face as she eagerly got through the paperwork. No one seemed to care that she killed people for a living, they were giving her a child, the first family she’d had in years, and finally she wasn’t going to be lonely. Finally she could have an excuse to go see Xiao and Dino more often without seeming desperate, finally she could actually come home to some one. Finally there would be someone she could come home to.
Senka didn’t seem to care either way, sitting there silently, and Rosalie almost felt like she was being judged for her emotions. Maybe they just needed to get to know each other? That had to be it! She must still be getting used to her. As the two finally left together, side by side, the assassin was thankful it was still early in the day. She hadn’t been able to buy her daughter any clothes, any bedding, well….anything! She tried to get this across, though bubbled excitedly as she did, trying to explain the joys of shopping. Anything she wanted, whatever she liked, the two of them should just get going.
Senka didn’t seem to care. It didn’t matter in the least, she was still very unsure of this excited woman, telling her she could decorate her room however she liked. As if it would be any different? As she found herself trailing next to her, listening to her talk and bubble, she wondered if she was really making that woman so happy just by existing? A brief smile pulled at her lips, though before anyone could see it was gone again. Perhaps she’d find her own joy here.

Word count this post: 10934  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 pm
Post three of Kanna's manifest nano

29. Exhaustion- Word Count: 727 - 3

Even in the days to follow, Xiao noticed Dino was having trouble readjusting. He would cling to the safety railing as he went up the stairs, demanding someone be behind him the entire way. Even with the poison out of his system, he seemed utterly exhausted. He was the first to talk of bedtime, even early in the evening, and was the last to get up. Even Rosalie, who was fond of sleeping in as Xiao found out, was fully dressed and finished with breakfast by the time Dino roused himself from sleep to go and brush his teeth and hair. It was worrisome, though neither female could seem to ask him why.
He didn’t even seem to be interested in the slightest in any sort of outing, including going to the grocery store to purchase foods, even if they were some of his favorites. He ate plenty, as long as it wasn’t him doing the cooking, and didn’t seem to be having any other troubles besides his tiredness. It seemed odd to Xiao that he wasn’t irritable as well, as the two traits had gone together in the past, though she didn’t think much of it until that one night.
For once, Xiao had gone to prepare for bed early. She’d worn herself out playing in the park earlier, and the quiet rainfall outside was so relaxing there was no possible way she could ignore it’s the quiet calling of her nice, warm bed. It wasn’t until she’d finally taken her nightly bath and gotten all cleaned up and ready that she heard the murmurs coming from the living room. Curious, she poked her head out the bathroom door, not wanting to disturb whatever was going on.
“—if it’s my fault then I would normally have no qualms with leaving. But I can’t just ignore the fact that you are at the moment incapable of—“
“That’s not what I’m talking about. You don’t listen, you never listen. Why should I have even expected you to?”
“Dino…”
“I’m sick of this okay? The last thing I need in my life is you just playing your stupid games with me, especially in front of my daughter, and don’t—“
“What in the world are you going on about? I haven’t even once brought anything from our work relationship—“
“What work relationship?” It was the first time she had ever heard her father yell, and peeking out a bit more, she could see the rather confused expression on Rosalie’s face as she flinched, opening her mouth to beg him to me more quiet, though she was interrupted rather quickly. “The one where you put your blade to my ******** throat every time we see each other and tease me about killing me? The one where you chase me around the rooftops and taunt me? I’m ******** sick of this all! I’m sick of you! Just even thinking about you makes the bile rise up in my throat, and if I could, I’d put a hit out on you! I’m sick of playing ******** cat and mouse with you, especially when I’m stuck playing mouse! You’re a ********, overbearing b***h who gets her rocks off on picking on me and making me want to off myself with the biggest gun I can get ahold of, but that would just make you happy wouldn’t it?” He was all but screaming at her at the end of it, aggressively poking a finger into her chest as she just looked at him with wide eyes, obviously not expecting it. She just let her mouth hang open as he fumed, unable to reply.
“You’d best have packed up and left by the time I get back. I don’t want to see your disgusting face again expect if it’s in the obituaries.” The last thing Xiao saw was Rosalie wince as the front door opened and slammed. The woman glanced back to her, giving a heavy sigh after a moment of silence, collapsing down to sit on the sofa, her head in her hands. Xiao slowly approached her, nightgown dragging at her feet as she stood next to her, looking worriedly over her.
“I guess he’s finally exhausted of me, huh?” Rosalie finally choked out after a while, trying to hide her face. “I guess the world’s just exhausted of me now.”

30. Treats- Word Count: 629 - 3

Xiao wasn’t sure why they’d go out again right after she’d been cleaned up. Dino was insisting upon it, saying she’d see why soon enough, though the manifest wasn’t so sure. Surely those boys hadn’t left to go home by now, and Dino seemed to not be hesitating in the least as he took her by the park. They snickered, whispering amongst themselves with sneering grins. Oh yes, there went the boskur and his daughter, yes, how amusing. Xiao, deciding herself better than to be riled up again, decided to ignore them, walking proudly beside Dino. They didn’t stop walking however, until they finally reached the store, and her guardian handed her a basket.
“Go and fill this up with whatever you like. As long as it fits and can be carried, I think I can treat you just this once.” He smiled, gaining a wide eyed look from his daughter. The WHOLE basket? And it could overflow? She wasn’t even sure where to begin, holding it and staring up at him before he chuckled and gave her a slight push. It didn’t take long before she was on her way to the candy isle, grabbing every little bit of chocolate she’d always wanted to try. This, however, seemingly did nothing to fill the basket, and after a moment of deliberation, she added in her favorites. Still barely a layer. Well, time to move on to favorite foods.
Even after adding all she thought she wanted, the basket wasn’t even halfway full! Ice cream, chocolates, noodles, beef, vegetables…She’d really been through it all! And she’d picked out a few toys for their kitten besides! Xiao was absolutely unsure what to do with herself, looking around the store for several more ideas before she wandered into the import section, noticing her father eyeing a few jars of fancy jellies.
“Do you like those?” She chirped, nearly making him jump as she came over.
“Well, yes…But they’re a little expensive surely I can—“ Dino chuckled, though stopped as he say the intensity in his daughter’s eyes. There was a brief silence as she reached out and took one jar each, not breaking eye contact with him, and placed them in her basket. The two continued to look at each other before she smiled brightly and went on her merry way. Had she really just….done that? Dino wasn’t sure whether to be proud or horrified. He was reminded of that time he’d made the mistake of hitting the import store with Rosalie, and watched her load up on a small collection of unhealthy snacks.
Speaking of which, further down the isle he noticed, Xiao had finally come across the Chinese imports, and was grabbing every single thing she could get her hands on. The packaging was colorful, it looked interesting, what was there for a child not to like? For a moment he was amused, Rosalie would certainly be proud, but he was questioning whether she’d actually like half the things she was grabbing. Ah well, best to let her decide for herself once she tries it, he thought.
With the basket finally full after another good rounds of the store, the two of them finally checked out. Xiao felt her heart drop as the price kept on getting higher and higher, though her guardian didn’t seem to have any issue with it. Despite her best protests, he paid, and the two were on their merry way. With both child and guardian carrying numerous bags in hand, they passed the park again, gaining the wide eyes of their audience as they saw the number of exotic treats in hand. Xiao gleamed in pride, sensing their jaws dropping to the ground. Maybe they’d think twice before messing with her and Dino again!

THIS POST TOTAL: 1356

TOTAL TOTAL: 10225+10934+1356= 22515
Total Points
Entry Points: 97
Participation Points: 5 (2 for entering, 3 for trying hard to make it to the big numbers)
Achivement Points: 10 (15/30 themes, 30/30 themes, all 30 in 30 days)

~Lady Kanna~

Anxious Werewolf

21,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Elocutionist 200
Manifest Dreamery

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers