Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Legend of Zelda Hangout ~ TLoZH

Back to Guilds

Fun for every Legend of Zelda Fan, both veteran and new, for over eight years~ 

Tags: legend of zelda, link, zelda, triforce, nintendo 

Reply The Latest in Gaming (Previews and News)
E3 2013!!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ARE YOU EXCITED FOR E3?!
  HELL YEAH!
  For some things!
  Not really.
View Results

[.Torina.]
Captain

Aged Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hey everyone!!!

As the E3 2013 conference is already well underway, with Nintendo having finished most of their rounds (as far as we know) today, I thought it would be good to start an official E3 thread! Feel free to share and discuss anything that's currently happening at E3, whether it be the PS4 vs XBOX ONE battle (hehe) or Kingdom Hearts or whatever you like! I myself will be summarizing up the new information on all things Zelda-related for you all here, as well as the new Super Smash Brothers.

First, let's start off with The Wind Waker HD! A new trailer was introduced today during the live stream of their video conference, find it here!!

A couple of changes have been confirmed in this version of The Wind Waker, which is set to release this October on the Wii U in 1080 HD resolution:
- At some point in the game you gain the ability to increase sailing speed at will, similar to the dash function from Skyward Sword (though there doesn't appear to be a limit to how long you can use it).
- The Tingle Tuner has been replaced with the "Tingle Bottle"! This is a brand new function designed to work with the Wii U's Miiverse; you can use the Tingle Bottle to send messages and even screenshots to the Miiverse and converse with other players. You will also be able to find other players' Tingle Bottles on random island shores to see for yourself!
- Eiji Aonuma was very vague in his discussion of this last point, but he did make the effort to mention that other aspects of the game were going to be changed slightly, such as the quest for the pieces of the Triforce of Courage. He mentioned how he understood that some aspects of that quest and other elements like it were rather tedious but did not give really any clues as to how they might be changing it. We'll see what happens!

What do you think about this revamp of The Wind Waker? Personally, as this is one of my favorite titles I'm quite happy to see it get another opportunity in the spotlight. While the graphics don't look quite that different, per say (though they are beautiful), I do feel that the atmosphere of them has changed remarkably enough to the point where you can feel a different sense of environmental immersion. I'm looking forward to experiencing it for myself!

Next, let's move on to the newest installment of the Zelda series for the 3DS, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Find the new trailer here!!

The newly announced title further confirms that this game is set in the world of A Link to the Past. We don't know much more about the story or anything, but the trailer gives us a good sense of just how Nintendo is planning to make use of a more classic style of gameplay in the 3DS setting; one of the most significant aspects of this is in the usage of depth as portrayed by the 3D rendering to move up and down through different levels. It also seems as though several of the mechanics and visual elements of past DS installments (Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, etc) are making a reappearance here. The biggest change we're going to see, which we already knew about to some extent, is Link's new ability to shift into a 2D drawing and move along walls. You can see more of this ability as demonstrated in the gameplay from the trailer!

EDIT: Update! Eiji Aonuma has confirmed that A Link Between Worlds is not a direct sequel to A Link to the Past, as it will not feature the same Link and Zelda yet will take place in the same world. For further details, please refer to this Zelda Dungeon article.

A Link Between Worlds is set for release in November 2013, let's get excited! Tell us what you think of this new title down below!

Finally, we have lots of great new info on the latest installment of Super Smash Brothers!! Find the first official (EPIC!) trailer here!!

First of all, the new title is going to be released on both the 3DS and the Wii U; each will have all of the same characters, but the stages you can choose from will be different. The stages for the 3DS version, for example, will be largely based on that of handheld games; home console game-themed stages will be reserved for the Wii U. The Wii U version seems to be formatted very closely to what we're already used to; a single/multiplayer platform melee free-for-all. I assume there will be some sort of story mode but we have not been given any hints as to that yet. The 3DS version will be relatively unique in its multiplayer capabilities; each person would play on their own 3DS, which means everyone gets their own screens and I assume it will mean that people can play with each other via the 3DS network, StreetPass, etc.

For full details on the still-developing gameplay, mechanics and other aspects of both the 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros., please find the full Developer's Direct video from game director Masahiro Sakurai here! Notice that Sakurai-san is controlling ALL of the characters and combat featured in the video while he is talking - AMAZING!

Let's move on to the exciting new character announcements!

The trailer gives away the first newcomer right at the very start - believe it or not, Villager from Animal Crossing will be a playable character! As Animal Crossing is a game that focuses on collecting items, Villager uses lots of items in his fighting tactics, everything from shovels to saplings to bowling balls. He's *cough* already become quite the menacing figure in the eyes of many...with a constant smile on his face, he never seems reluctant to smack down his enemies!

Secondly, a subsequent trailer gave fans of Mega Man a long overdue treat - Mega Man is the next newcomer on our list! Whether Nintendo had to hold Capcom at gunpoint to make this happen, I have no idea - but what I do know is that it already seems as though Mega Man will be a formidable addition to the pack! His character will come with a large range of weaponry, including that of past bosses from the Mega Man franchise that he has defeated and acquired (apparently). For the super epic trailer that features him as a newcomer, please go here! Might I also add that the trailer features a GORGEOUSLY rendered Link, do enjoy xD

The last known newcomer is probably the most unexpected addition you could imagine. The Wii Fit Trainer is the newest playable character in Smash Bros! Yeah, I know, I really couldn't believe it either, but so far it seems as though she'd be a pretty fun addition! Her moves are based mostly on exaggerated fitness routines and workout poses, and her final smash is something like an army of rainbow fitness trainers streaming out and attacking everyone. To watch the hilarious video introduction to her as a newcomer, featuring Link, Kirby and Mario attempting yoga (which is the FUNNIEST s**t I've seen all week), please click here!

Finally, here are three confirmed Zelda-related stages you can look forward to:
On the 3DS:
- Gerudo Valley (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- The Spirit Train (Spirit Tracks)
On the Wii U:
- Skyloft (Skyward Sword)

Interestingly enough, the version of Link in this installment of SSB is clearly that of Twilight Princess. Not that he hasn't come without some visual upgrading, but from the character design we can tell that surprisingly (at least to me, anyway) Skyward Sword Link was not chosen for this round. It's not entirely clear why this is, though most pointed speculation seems to indicate that it might be in connection with the Zelda Wii U title itself, since the Zelda tech demo on the Wii U also featured Twilight Princess Link. Personally, I'm not convinced the tech demo and Zelda Wii U are connected, as it could turn out just like the Wind Waker - a demo featuring an adult Link on the Gamecube was seemingly forgotten in favor of featuring the young Toon Link we now know. It seems more likely that TP Link's design was more favorable for Smash Bros, as Skyward Link was quite unique. It may also be because of a desire to maintain consistency in the Zelda characters that are included in this round of Smash Bros; if Skyward Link were to make an appearance as a featured character, then it might not make much sense for Zelda/Sheik and Ganondorf to come along with him. Of course, many of us hoped for Ghirahim to be potentially featured as a player, but until we get the full list of characters that entire possibility is still up in the air. Keep in mind this is all pretty much speculation, LOL, but I don't think I was the only one surprised that Twilight Princess Link made a return appearance instead of Skyward. It will be an interesting warp of reality to have him play on the Skyloft stage.

The release of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS is set for Spring 2014!

What do you think of the multi-console platform of the latest Smash Bros title? Will you be getting both? What do you think of the new characters? Let us know!!

While we're at it, in regards to Zelda Wii U, nothing specific has been released. Shigeru Miyamoto made a cryptic statement, however, saying that "Work on that (Zelda Wii U) is progressing fairly concretely. In fact, we were thinking about showing it here at E3 but decided to wait just a little bit longer before sharing it with everyone." Source. I guess we'll have to continue to be patient for news on that one!

That just about wraps it up for all of the info I'm putting here! After E3 is over, I'll be putting all of the info in each subject's respective thread. Feel free to contribute anything and everything you might find interesting over the next few days!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 am
I thought it was all enormously exciting! The footage from so many of the new games blew me away, and the choice of a suped-up TP link for Smash Bros... well, let's say it had me searching for a huge version to use as my desktop wallpaper. heart

I'm still holding thumbs that the Zelda Wii U will present a similar character model, and really take realistic advantage of the console's graphics capabilities.  

Farthingale

7,575 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Sunshiniere

Fashionable Shopper

5,300 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:17 am
stressed I don't think that changing Wind Waker will do much good. I'm SO tired of all of this re-releasing. I just want a NEW legend of Zelda game, not all of this. Wind waker was an amazing game, maybe not graphics wise (thought they were fun due to their cartoonish look) but definitely game wise. Though sailing could in fact be a bit annoying when trying to sail a lot, you weren't MEANT to sail a lot and really should only HAVE to sail a few quadrants at a time, especially if you got the cyclone ability. Also by killing the tingle tuner, they ruin the mini game, as I don't think that the Tingle bottle is supposed to help you on the side quest. Please excuse while I explode in rage. burning_eyes

Then again, at least I won't need to add any other Legend of Zelda games to my list while waiting to get my hands on Twilight Princess. heart Also I kinda want Minecraft o.e so I guess this isn't all that bad. (though I am getting a new DS game and was hoping for a new LOZ one sweatdrop )

However, the new Smash bros game seems promising and I might just need to get that. (though I never got Brawl xD I only have melee for the game cube)  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:29 am
Some pretty good news on games coming to Wii U and 3DS. A new Smash Bros. I definitely have to get it. As well as Mario Kart 8 I might finally get a Wii U now that some more games have been announced for it.  

Dark_Master_Zero

Interesting Conventioneer

11,200 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Flatterer 200

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm
Farthingale McKay
I thought it was all enormously exciting! The footage from so many of the new games blew me away, and the choice of a suped-up TP link for Smash Bros... well, let's say it had me searching for a huge version to use as my desktop wallpaper. heart

I'm still holding thumbs that the Zelda Wii U will present a similar character model, and really take realistic advantage of the console's graphics capabilities.

I'M ALSO SO EXCITED YOU HAVE NO IDEA!! xD I literally spent HOURS yesterday stalking tumblr, posting and reading all kinds of shenanigans. And HOO BOY do I love you for posting a link (hehe) to that gorgeous picture of Link!! *instant save*

To be honest I also hope that Zelda Wii U will make use of similar style and graphic qualities, but I won't be surprised if they don't. Nintendo can be so hard to predict xD;; Bayonetta 2 for Wii U looks absolutely stunning so I know the console has the potential, rather unlike the Wii.

101MONKEYTOES
stressed I don't think that changing Wind Waker will do much good. I'm SO tired of all of this re-releasing. I just want a NEW legend of Zelda game, not all of this. Wind waker was an amazing game, maybe not graphics wise (thought they were fun due to their cartoonish look) but definitely game wise. Though sailing could in fact be a bit annoying when trying to sail a lot, you weren't MEANT to sail a lot and really should only HAVE to sail a few quadrants at a time, especially if you got the cyclone ability. Also by killing the tingle tuner, they ruin the mini game, as I don't think that the Tingle bottle is supposed to help you on the side quest. Please excuse while I explode in rage. burning_eyes

Then again, at least I won't need to add any other Legend of Zelda games to my list while waiting to get my hands on Twilight Princess. heart Also I kinda want Minecraft o.e so I guess this isn't all that bad. (though I am getting a new DS game and was hoping for a new LOZ one sweatdrop )

However, the new Smash bros game seems promising and I might just need to get that. (though I never got Brawl xD I only have melee for the game cube)

When Aonuma announced the Wind Waker remake, he did so acknowledging that it wasn't going to be much different and was mostly being released for those who might want to experience it anew while waiting for the new Zelda Wii U title to come out (which could be years from now). The Zelda team had experimented with Wind Waker in HD and other aspects of its potential on the Wii U as a means to explore potential directions for the next title; they decided to release it as a complete remake because they thought the results were quite good. The Tingle Tuner had to be removed, unfortunately, because the Game Boy Advance system is not compatible with the Wii U. I would agree that WW does not look or feel that much different, but when we get a Wii U I will probably end up getting it xD;; It is certainly not a purchase anyone has to make if they are happy with the original version ^^.

I hope you have or will get the means to have a 3DS so you can also experience A Link Between Worlds when it is released! And Brawl is fantastic, I REALLY hope you can get your hands on it sometime. It's not much different from Melee but the small things that do make it different make it that much better, in my opinion.

Dark_ Master_ Zero
Some pretty good news on games coming to Wii U and 3DS. A new Smash Bros. I definitely have to get it. As well as Mario Kart 8 I might finally get a Wii U now that some more games have been announced for it.

Ah yeah, Mario Kart 8!!! It looks like so much fun too. As for me I can't wait to try out Smash Bros on the 3DS, I'm not really sure why though ^^;  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:23 pm
Akeyami
I'll probably get the new Smash bros for both 3DS and Wii U. So I could still play it while I'm on the go.  

Dark_Master_Zero

11,200 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Flatterer 200

Akeyami
Vice Captain

Interesting Dabbler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:18 pm
Dark_ Master_ Zero
I'll probably get the new Smash bros for both 3DS and Wii U. So I could still play it while I'm on the go.

That was my thinking too ^^ I feel quite lucky to have a 3DS  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:32 pm
Akeyami
Dark_ Master_ Zero

That was my thinking too ^^ I feel quite lucky to have a 3DS
Me too. XD  

Dark_Master_Zero

11,200 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Flatterer 200

Farthingale

7,575 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:55 am
101MONKEYTOES
stressed I don't think that changing Wind Waker will do much good. I'm SO tired of all of this re-releasing. I just want a NEW legend of Zelda game, not all of this.

Agreed! So many people have incredible amounts of love for their favourite Zelda game, so they are willing to indulge the idea of remakes in order to prolong the pleasure, as it were. But as Nintendo and technology grow and learn, I am far more interested in meeting a brand new adventure, one where no one has mapped the dungeons or found all the heart pieces!

101MONKEYTOES
Then again, at least I won't need to add any other Legend of Zelda games to my list while waiting to get my hands on Twilight Princess. heart

Ah, you haven't played TP yet? That happens to be my favourite Zelda. ^w^ Feel free to make question of discussion threads when you do get to play it, because I kind of know the game inside out. wink  
The Latest in Gaming (Previews and News)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games