Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
LGBT Marriage. Controversial? Maybe.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tumble13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:58 pm
Well, we all know the whole 'gay marriage' thing is a very controversial topic lately, with some people being pointlessly aggressive about the topic, while others are trying to avoid the conversation all together.

now, keep in mind, yes, I'm a bi guy, in a homosexual relationship, and no, me and my mate have no desire, or intention to ever wed, even if it was permitted where we are. As the idea does not appeal to us in any way.

But is the gay marriage fight really that big a deal? I want you guys' opinions on this. Because i've talked to my friends around where I am, and it seems to be a very wide-spread array of opinions. From thinking that it's a world-changing fight, to thinking it's just a passing interest that has gotten blown out of proportion.

I will say now, in my opinion, that it is important. not because I think gay couples shoudl get wed, but because it's a milestone. A step towards the LGBT community finally able to stop having to fear hate crimes against us. To being able to actually be treated as equals among the 'straight people'. to being seen as humans, and not as some kind of demonic plague apon the earth. Because I belive that we are all humans, and should be treated equal. We should not live our lives in fear, or hate. So it is important, to me. but not for the reason people would think.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:03 pm
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, interracial marriage was once marriage but now it's a natural part of life. So, gay marriage really isn't that big a deal, right?  

Rainbow Neko Fairy

Clean Smoker

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:55 am
Rainbow Neko Fairy
I don't think it's that big of a deal. I mean, interracial marriage was once marriage but now it's a natural part of life. So, gay marriage really isn't that big a deal, right?
Dating a black man where I grew up could get you shot and shunned out the community, likely both. *I say this as a white woman* Interracial dating let alone marriage is still hot button in the Bible Belt. It shouldn't be, but it is. Thankfully that generation of hateful cuntholes is dying off. Good ridden and let their bitter, angry bodies rot in the ground. I will say this in about 40-50 years when the bitter, angry, bigoted cunthole homophobes start dying off too.

How did interracial marriage get accepted elsewhere? By people making a big deal about it, getting attention and spreading knowledge. You don't get things done (re: attaining equal rights) by staying quiet.

Needless to say I find the issue of GLBTQ equality, a big ********' deal. cat_pirate  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:43 am
Blackrose_Knight
Rainbow Neko Fairy
Dating a black man where I grew up could get you shot and shunned out the community, likely both. *I say this as a white woman* Interracial dating let alone marriage is still hot button in the Bible Belt. It shouldn't be, but it is. Thankfully that generation of hateful cuntholes is dying off. Good ridden and let their bitter, angry bodies rot in the ground. I will say this in about 40-50 years when the bitter, angry, bigoted cunthole homophobes start dying off too.

How did interracial marriage get accepted elsewhere? By people making a big deal about it, getting attention and spreading knowledge. You don't get things done (re: attaining equal rights) by staying quiet.

Needless to say I find the issue of GLBTQ equality, a big ********' deal. cat_pirate

this. seeing 2 different races together, either as a couple or a parent and a child, is still a big deal in some parts of the US. there is still plenty of racism here. its not nearly as bad as it used to be so i think that that should give alot of hope to the lgbt community  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm
Same-sex marriage has been legal, at a federal level, for nearly 7 years. Despite what the hatemongers would have you believe, the country has yet to descend into utter anarchy. blaugh (But then, you all knew that.)

It was a big milestone, even if things have been less...er...dramatic than they seem to be South of the border. I'm not sure how to express what I mean, but it's like...it sort of made it politically incorrect to be a bigot? If that makes sense. When something isn't legal, people seem to feel like they can be more vocal about their opposition to it, since the law is on their side. Now that same-sex couples can legally marry, it's less "safe" to go on and on about how it "ain't right".  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:38 pm
Tumble13
But is the gay marriage fight really that big a deal?

Yes. Marriage gives people tax breaks, rights to children and rights to your spouse such as hospital visitation rights and doctors coming to you as the next of kin. There are many many more reasons why marriage is a big deal and it's a big deal that it is denied to the LGBT community.

You and your boyfriend may never marry if it's allowed. And if he is hospitalized, the hospital could deny you visiting rights. If a decision needed to be made about surgery or treatment and he can't make it, they wouldn't ask you, the person that might best be able to answer. They'd go first to his parents then siblings. You wouldn't be an option. Even if he told you exactly what he wanted, they'd ignore you.

There's more to marriage than a wedding and love and fluff.

There are practical reasons.

Lady Kayura

Fluffy Bunny

23,150 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Conventioneer 300

Squire Kaito

Newbie Noob

3,900 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:55 pm
States that allow Gay marriage: 8
States that allow incest marriage: 25
What country are we in again? I forgot what we stand for with all the immorality in the legislative branch. burning_eyes
We jump in the anti-semanticist boat and close our borders to thousands of Jews fleeing for their lives.
We finally become properly ashamed of racism and push it into the shadows. Then Homophobia. I don't want to live in this world anymore.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:49 pm
I've had the s**t kicked out of me for my orientation and my race- equality is a HUGE thing and it needs to be worked for- and that means giving everyone the same right to marry the consenting adult/s they love.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:02 am
To some people, it is a big deal. Though some are now able to legally get married if they wish and can have the same benefits of heterosexual couples, a lot of people aren't allowed to get married still.

Many people had their children taken away or couldn't visit their partner in the hospital.

Finding out due to my body being different and most likely intersexed (though you may not be able to tell. I am considered female but my sex hormones and reproductive organs don't work like they should, my body seems to believe it is male and produce too many androgen. I knew for a long time I had a problem and knew it had to do with hormones, but only found out about the high levels last year and need certain genetic testing in order to really get proper treatment. Estrogen pills failed me, it made me sick, even low dose and wasn't working), I found out there could be legal issues for me as well, no matter who I marry. So far it hasn't been documented in my medical records though as my doctors are refusing to give me proper treatment and testing and seem to ignore it when I try talking to them.

So yes, I see it as a big deal. I believe all consenting adults should have the right to marry who they want.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:43 am
The only reasons I see it as an important issue are the very basic; equal uniform treatment of human beings, the same liberties and restrictions, and the of course, the legal rights pertaining to terminal illness of a loved one.  

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Aimelie

Girl-Crazy Citizen

10,300 Points
  • Athlete 50
  • Olympian 200
  • Champion 300
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:29 pm
I think it's only controversial because of all the religion influencing the government. It's not that big of a deal, I live in a small baptist community and the majority which is like 98 percent hate the idea of gay marriage and the reason is because of the bible and right and wrong and blah blah. Though i'm a lesbian and I like the idea of being able to get married, I still don't find it that much a big deal because by the end of the day, i'm still going to be with the one I love regardless of a document saying we're legally married. Regardless though, marriage has come a long way and limitations have been pushed as to who can get married so eventually, gay marriage will probably be passed. Other countries allow it and some recognize it legally, I think it's only a matter of time.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games