Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Woman loses custody of her son because she is a lesbian

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 pm
User Image

Hopefully this video will work for everyone. This is a girl that I don't personally know, but we have mutual friends. Her video explains the situation. A friend of mine said she was going to start a petition to give her some support, so when she gets that ready I'll post a link to it here.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3560777776375

Basically, the gist is that the father went to court seeking custody of the son, and it was granted to him based solely on the fact that the mother is a lesbian who works in an adult novelty store. She does not drink, smoke, or do drugs - but apparently none of that matters, because her son might catch The Gay if he lives with her. That's the ******** Bible Belt for you.

Edit: there is now a petition! http://www.change.org/petitions/fight-for-aidyn-to-be-with-the-mother-he-loves?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_modal&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:24 pm
Wow that is stupid!  

Ryura_Kayano

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:07 pm
That is so wrong and messed up. If she is a good mom and can take care of her son, why would it matter if she was a lesbian? She has every right to see her son.

I hope that she can get her son back or at least have joint custody.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 pm
User Image

I reshared this on FB and immediately got a comment from a friend who is skeptical about it, because courts "are very hesitant to take custody from a mother without VERY good reason." She posted this comment along with a bunch of assumptions that there MUST be something shady about the mother that contributed. I've asked the friend who posted the video if he can get some further information about the situation that will help us back it up with facts, because I agree that the video doesn't go into a whole lot of detail.

But given that the father is a police officer and they live in the Phenix City, Alabama/Columbus, Georgia area, I'm inclined to think that there really might not be more to it. It is definitely not the place to be if you're looking for acceptance of an "alternative" lifestyle (Columbus actually prohibits the sale of sex toys unless the store labels them as "novelties" not meant for use), and I think that if he used his connections as an officer, it's not too big a stretch to think that might have been enough to get the child taken from the lesbian mom who sells sex toys.

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

BSPBleach

Proxy Gaian

8,000 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:57 pm
lol and here i am thinking it'd be healthier for the child to be raised by a toy selling lesbian than a 'normal' family 'cuz he'd never have to worry about being happy lol

-ahem- jokes aside, yeah it's messed up, and it might actually have more to do with the fact she sells sex toys than she's a les. granted it might've helped (err...not helped?) but there's a movie called STRIPTEASE that's about a mother who has to start stripping for money because of her husband (who's a cop) and the court gives custody of their daughter to the husband instead of her because she strips.

of course this is a movie, but it's valid. such 'alternitive' jobs are looked upon terribly by society (mostly courts and uptight peoples) and felt to be unhealthy for a child to be raised around.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:26 pm
User Image

There's a petition available now! Please sign it.

http://www.change.org/petitions/fight-for-aidyn-to-be-with-the-mother-he-loves?utm_campaign=friend_inviter_modal&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:52 pm
I'd support her, but I'd want more proof since the only information is very one sided. It's possible she is being discriminated against- but there isn't anything posted about the court's opinion or the transcripts. cat_sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:42 pm
Custody rights should be settled on the parental fitness of the person, not their own personal sexuality. She could always take it to court as a case of discrimination, but seeing as they wouldn't even consider her to get her son, they would most unfortunately probably throw out the case. The judicial system is seriously slipping in situations like this. separation of church and state my a**....  

VoicingReason

Interesting Poster

5,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items