Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Acting Gay

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Otto Leo

Liberal Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:57 am
I don't think many of you know me very well, so I'll just go right ahead and explain a bit.

I'm a gay male who's never had a boyfriend. This is probably due mostly to my introverted nature, but I've been told before that I don't "act gay." I'm not fashion obsessed, I don't dye my hair, I don't wear pink or anything. I wear jeans and tee-shirts everywhere and don't even talk in a high-pitched voice or with a lisp or something else horribly stereotypical. But unfortunately, does that mean that it's harder to pick me out as gay rather than straight?

So I guess my real question is, what should I do to act more gay? If anyone else has had this problem, what did you do?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am
Haha! Babe, don't worry about it. I'm in the military and I'm far from acting gay as anyone else. I'm actually pansexual but still the case. Be yourself, and don't be shy. To be perfectly honest, just because you don't act gay doesn't mean it won't attract people. I, to be honest, don't like the fruity fruity guys sometimes. I dress really nice but I've always been like that. Honestly, just be yourself. No reason to change who you are.  

xXHazukashiiXx

5,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Vinsmokin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 pm
that whole, girly thing that people expect gay men to be, is just s**t. there are more gay mean who dont wear pink in this world than the ones who do, so dont try to act gay. it would just make things worse. i mean, if you start to actually feel more like a woman than a man, go ahead, but dont pretend to be something your not.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:37 pm
(Dying your hair is a gay trait these days? xD)

There is no one, single way to "act gay". There are as many different types of personalities as there are gay people. There are stereotypes, and there are some people who just happen to fit into them, but they aren't something to strive for. Just be yourself. Forcing "gay" traits is, well, obnoxious.

Some people wear rainbow jewellery as a way to let others know that they're not straight. Depending on where you live, there may be local LGBT groups that you could get involved in, if you're looking to meet other people.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Uber Shoono

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:23 pm
The Otto Leo

I swear everything you just said sounds exactly like what I've been going through XD The only difference is that I am bisexual but still it's not much of a difference 3nodding

Anyway, I've unfortunately just learned to deal with it because I like the way I dress due to it being comfy and I really don't wanna change that ninja
I'm probably never gonna get a guy but eh whatever if by chance one happens to ask I guess it'll happen but I doubt it sweatdrop
Good luck to you though my friend and I hope everything goes your way ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:03 pm
There is no such thing as acting gay, so be yourself. There is adopting gay stereotypes, but I don't think you want to do that.

Someone out there will be attracted to you, so don't worry about it.  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:28 pm
Like everyone else says, there is no certain way on how to act, just be yourself. A good way to look for others is to join LGBT groups or events.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
Like everyone else says, there is no certain way on how to act, just be yourself. A good way to look for others is to join LGBT groups or events.

I did go to the local pride fest, but found it interesting that there were more straight couples than anything else. I dunno. I'll try that. Maybe there's a gay only group or something.  

The Otto Leo

Liberal Citizen

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:43 pm
The Otto Leo
Playboy Karasu Uchiha

I did go to the local pride fest, but found it interesting that there were more straight couples than anything else. I dunno. I'll try that. Maybe there's a gay only group or something.

Well at least there is some support for the pride fest. Just keep trying though, it can take time. Just keep going to different groups, clubs, festivals, etc....that's the only way to really meet people.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 pm
Playboy Karasu Uchiha
The Otto Leo
Playboy Karasu Uchiha

Well at least there is some support for the pride fest. Just keep trying though, it can take time. Just keep going to different groups, clubs, festivals, etc....that's the only way to really meet people.

Will do! Thank you. :]  

The Otto Leo

Liberal Citizen

MistyMary24

Astral Mage

21,825 Points
  • Alien Invasion 50
  • Astral Veteran 100
  • Dragon Uprising 75
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 am
There are many straights that come out to the Pride Fest because they want to make fun of Queers.
Hon just be yourself and do not worry about the labels. In the household I am in there are three of us that are queer.
My elder sibling acts like a total girl and wears the pink and dresses. You can not tell when in drag that she is male.
Another one that is a bi-sexual but you never tell because he got a girl friend that lives here as well. He dresses like a man.
And than you have me and people say I act like a total girl and never would guess that I am a girl that likes girls.

So just be you and do not worry about the labels. That is all they are and that is all it will ever be. You need to live your life for you and not for the others. Plus all the other positions, for being everybody else are full, so be yourself. You be happier.

Some people are masculine, some are girlish, and some are in between and there is nothing wrong with it

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:54 am
i feel like posting something intelligent.
but i would just be repeating what everyone said lol
be yourself and all that stuff :3 heck im a bi guy who dates a girl and i look like every other fat guy CX  

Heartless_requiem

Tipsy Loiterer

7,150 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items